PDA

View Full Version : My new website

DJ Paulie
27-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Still have to add more content and fix the spelling mistakes and menu, but what do you think ?

http://discoroyale.rydalweb.co.uk/

Dynamic Entertainment
27-07-2011, 12:23 AM
First thing....get a proper domain and loose the adverts ;)

I would also loose the Name and Slogan on the right hand side...you already have it in the logo...no need for it again IMO.

DJ Paulie
27-07-2011, 12:30 AM
I have my own domain the guy who designed it uploaded it there to show me what it was like. I thought having the name & tagline on the right filled it out a bit. Also acts as a hyperlink. And yes when it's transferred to my domain the ads will be going, I block them with adblock pro anyway !

DeckstarDeluxe
27-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Not keen on that at all, nor all the red.

Like I said before, hire a pro :)

Booche
27-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Theres a few things that i can pick out

1: The red is very weird on the eyes (unless its just me)
2: The love heart icon
3: Page names on the top of the page
4: As mentioed the google ad's and the web name
5: T&C's just says "Terms and" on my screen
6: The tabs look weird being all rounded on the left hand side and straight at the other end, doesn't seem to flow
7: Theres no images on any of the pages its just Text, Text and more Text :(

DJ Paulie
27-07-2011, 12:35 AM
well I thought it was a start, maybe I'll tweak it more when it's finished and play with different headers/colour schemes. Thanks booche, as I said it's not the final product, just thought would show how it's going before finishing.

Jiggles
27-07-2011, 12:52 AM
The body font is really tacky imo. The feel of it still screams cheap!

yourdj
27-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Looks alright I think. Nice use of three colours.

adverts make it look like youtube or something.
The picture of you will do no favours - get some from a photographer on first dance with you in the background - that is always a fav as the client imagines that thats them.

Get more of your gigs too or istock it for now. Buy some more lights :D

good work and much better than before so thats a step forward

discomobiledj
27-07-2011, 07:43 AM
I assume your friend is not a professional?

Problems I found:

Text made bigger to fill out the site
Multiple coloured text
Two menus
Different fonts
More pictures needed, if you haven't got anymore then remove it until you do.
Main menu should be centered
Testimonial page blank.

On your T & C page you have:

"Cheques will only be accepted by arrangement BEFORE the date of the event. This is for your peace of mind as well as mine."

You need to state a date (ie 14 days before) as I could pay you the night before then cancel the cheque.

Charlie Brown
27-07-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm really really sorry but it doesn't do it for me. It shouts ameatur and home made.

Have you not looked into getting a professional?

DJ Paulie
27-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the comments, as I've just done it as a rough draft, it's not finished. I have more photos, the text will be sorted, testimonials will be added & the t&c page will be changed. But I agree with your suggestions, thankyou for you input. Finally is it better or worse than what I have now ?

Charlie Brown
27-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the comments, as I've just done it as a rough draft, it's not finished. I have more photos, the text will be sorted, testimonials will be added & the t&c page will be changed. But I agree with your suggestions, thankyou for you input. Finally is it better or worse than what I have now ?

Are ignoring everything people are saying to you?

Have you not looked into getting a professional?

You can add all the pictures, texts, testimonials in the world and it will still look rubbish. :o

The design and concept needs to be completely changed IMO.

Again, have you spoken to a professional?

Corabar Steve
27-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Are ignoring everything people are saying to you?Gets annoying when people do that doesn't it?

Charlie Brown
27-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Gets annoying when people do that doesn't it?

:o

thex-faders
27-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Are you allowed to quote "The King of Discos"??

I actually think its a good starting point. But yeah I would look at changing the layout, make it more image based and less text. Plenty of photos of people dancing, smiling and lights... sell the perfect gig!

And what's the purpose of the website... to contact via a form or call you direct, just inform people of your services? If its the contact form option, get a big button or something saying Enquire Now.

Tom

DJ Paulie
27-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Well it's better than 'the queen of discos' Tom ! Thanks again everyone, I'll have a play before it goes live.

Charlie Brown
27-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Well it's better than 'the queen of discos' Tom ! Thanks again everyone, I'll have a play before it goes live.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :Censored:

I don't know why you bothered posting this thread when you're clearly not interested in what people have to say.

You keep moaning that you don't have any bookings apart from a couple for international students - a decent professional website would help and change all of that.

Anyway, I'm out. Good luck, you'll need it.

chrisj
27-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Realising you have many changes still to make I will only say you must spend a lot on music after I saw

I update my library with every new release every week from the iTunes download chart, the Irish Top 40 chart, the MTV chart and others,
so I’m sure I will have the song you ask for.

simonp
27-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi Paulie

My Personal Opinion/taste

I actually like the white text on dark grey background - for me that works. The Red paragraph headers are a little straining on the eyes and probably need to be a little deeper shade for me.

I also like the header TBH - it could do with being a touch narrower therefore not taking up so much space - as at the moment it's right 'In Yer Face' if you get what I mean.

The adverts on the right hand side of the page don't do the website any justice nor favours.

I think what other members posting about the amateur feel to it is probably down to the font the pages are written in - Although clean and readable the standard font used give the website a dated look - maybe play around with some different fonts.

I don't think it's that far off from being a presentable website to be honest, and certainly better than some of my previous incarnations :)

hammy
27-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I think you should change name to "Suggs Disco`s", On the page "about dj Paulie" you have a picture of Suggs :D :D

DJ Paulie
27-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Lol as I have had a small windfall, someone from here is doing a design for me ! I'll post details when it's done !

Dynamic Entertainment
27-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Fontwise...i would go for Ariel....

simonp
27-07-2011, 10:50 PM

Or 'Arial' even :rofl:

DeckstarDeluxe
27-07-2011, 10:58 PM

The mermaid?? :daft:

Corabar Entertainment
27-07-2011, 11:00 PM
The mermaid?? :daft:
Nah.......

http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/product_images/CAEF0001.JPG

Dynamic Entertainment
27-07-2011, 11:03 PM
:Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored:

You know what I meant :D

DJ Paulie
29-07-2011, 01:14 PM
:jumping:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new and improved Disco Royale The KING od Discos ! http://www.discoroyale.net

Designed by Steve from discomobiledj. Hope he doesn't mind I teaked it bit ! So what do you think ? Does it need my logo ? or keep it clean ?

Logo:

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/images/92c94.jpg

DeckstarDeluxe
29-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Really not a fan of the logo, or the colour scheme on your site and "the king of discos"??

I would also do away with the packages section, your selling a service not a product.

DJ Paulie
29-07-2011, 01:24 PM
There's always one isn't there ?! But thanks for the feedback.

Dynamic Entertainment
29-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Really not a fan of the logo, or the colour scheme on your site and "the king of discos"??

I would also do away with the packages section, your selling a service not a product.

Have you even looked at the packages?

Its not varying levels of equipment...its varying levels of service & time...just like many others on here do...only Paulie's is in writing (and im sure martins (Vectis') was too before he retired).

Paulie...I like it :)

DJ Paulie
29-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks ! And deckstar have a good look at your own site, that photo of you might be your best side, but if I was a client it wouldn't inspire me to book you. Loads of stock photos, email easy to harvest (Mmmmm spam !) and not very mobile friendly.

Shaun
29-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks ! And deckstar have a good look at your own site, that photo of you might be your best side, but if I was a client it wouldn't inspire me to book you. Loads of stock photos, email easy to harvest (Mmmmm spam !) and not very mobile friendly.

Why so defensive? Neil hasn't posted asking for feedback on his site. You however have. Do you really forsee anyone else giving you HONEST feedback based on what they think if there's a chance of you coming back with arsey retalitory remarks if you don't like what they have to say? If you don't want genuine feedback then don't post asking for it.

DeckstarDeluxe
29-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Not sure if this post about my site is in reaction to my comments about yours but how does it help you if I candy coat what I think? Its your site and you are of course entitled to have it whichever you like but I was suggesting improvements and certainly nothing personal.

For the record my website isn't up for review so lets keep that out of this thread thank you.

Charlie Brown
29-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Uninspiring template that I've seen 100s of times. You'd have been better off spending a bit more dosh (another 75 euros) on a professional designer who would have started from scratch.

It's clean, crisp and to the point but doesn't do anything for me whatsoever. Sorry. :o

hammy
29-07-2011, 04:08 PM
You still have a picture of suggs though :D :D :D

Charlie Brown
29-07-2011, 04:09 PM
P.S - I love your blog. Good idea. :)

DiscoMagic
29-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I rather think that stating that you "now do Civil Marrage Ceremonies", suggests you were not happy playing at same sex wedding functions before and could alienate people away from you.

Instead say something, like "Carry out all functions for all people from all walks of life!"

discomobiledj
29-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Uninspiring template that I've seen 100s of times. You'd have been better off spending a bit more dosh (another 75 euros) on a professional designer who would have started from scratch.

It's clean, crisp and to the point but doesn't do anything for me whatsoever. Sorry. :o

Could you show me the 100's of websites you've seen Charlie with the same background?

DJ Paulie
29-07-2011, 07:19 PM
The reason I added civil marriages is it's only become law here since April this year & not many other companies mention it. Deckstar the point I was making mentioning things on your site was don't say everything is wrong & it's no good when there are things that could be improved on your own site. (people in glass houses etc)

Charlie how can you say I should have spent another €75 when you don't know how much I spent ? But thanks for liking the blog - and no you can't copy it !

Now I'm going to have a nice long soak in the jacuzzi with a ice cold beer, a cig, some cool tunes & relax - smell y'all laters !

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2011, 07:31 PM
(people in glass houses etc)In which case, I would suggest that no members make any comments whatsoever unless:-

1. You're perfect, and
2. You only wish to tell Paulie that everything is perfect.

Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone is perfect, so there is little point in having this thread.

I have to say, Paulie, I am disappointed that you would turn it around and 'attack' another member in this way. I am sure that every single one of us has room for improvement, but if a member isn't asking for feedback it's very bad form to criticise - especially in this ':Censored::Censored::Censored: for tat' fashion. It's actions like this that discourage people from posting. :( :( :(

On the flip-side, even when giving constructive criticism, it might be an idea for members to try and post something about what they do like as well.... to soften the blow, so to speak. :p

DeckstarDeluxe
29-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Deckstar the point I was making mentioning things on your site was don't say everything is wrong & it's no good when there are things that could be improved on your own site. (people in glass houses etc)

Paulie if your not happy with people making comments about your site then don't post it up on a forum.

It isn't just here that people haven't been overly impressed by it either so really not sure why you have decided to pick on my site which I will repeat again isn't up for discussion here.

Shaun
29-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Deckstar the point I was making mentioning things on your site was don't say everything is wrong & it's no good when there are things that could be improved on your own site. (people in glass houses etc)

Unbelievable!

You posted asking for opinions on your website and logo. Neil gave you his opinion! They you get annoyed because you don't like his opinion?

I feel this thread would be better closed.

*edit: Posted at the same time as Neil (again).

Kernow
29-07-2011, 07:58 PM
:jumping:
. Hope he doesn't mind I teaked it bit !

You plank !! :p (;) :D )

A very presentable website Paulie but.......

Are you available for Civil Marriages which require, by law, the participants to be of opposite sex ,or did you wish to include same-sex Civil Partnerships ?
If you want to enter the latter lucrative market, you will need to make that much clearer.
Also lose the FB & Twitter live update, your potential customers might easily read something you wouldn't want them to before you noticed it was there /
(And there is precedent on this ;) )

Vectis
29-07-2011, 08:38 PM
You posted asking for opinions on your website and logo. Neil gave you his opinion! They you get annoyed because you don't like his opinion?

Sadly this is so often the case Shaun. So much so that I no longer offer up my professional opinion in this section :o

In any case, unless you are targeting a website at mobile DJs, why ask mobile DJs for their opinion? Surely any good market researcher would approach the target demographic(s) for their opinions...

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2011, 08:46 PM
In any case, unless you are targeting a website at mobile DJs, why ask mobile DJs for their opinion? Surely any good market researcher would approach the target demographic(s) for their opinions...In fairness, Martin, that's easier said than done though, isn't it?

Vectis
29-07-2011, 08:49 PM
In fairness, Martin, that's easier said than done though, isn't it?

Of course it is.

But if you want meaningful feedback (as opposed to an inevitable bunfight) then you really should seek out the target clientele for opinions.

(Ideally before you spend €75 or whatever on the development work) ;)

discomobiledj
29-07-2011, 09:19 PM
(Ideally before you spend €75 or whatever on the development work) ;)

I'm not sure where this €75 figure has come from. Maybe Charlie has been on the booze again. I have not stated how much I charged and Paul hasn't declared how much he paid.

Charlie Brown
29-07-2011, 10:23 PM
DJ Paulie said he spent 150 euros on the site.

DJ Paulie
29-07-2011, 10:25 PM
OK now I have relaxed a bit I would like to appologise for my rather scathing attack on Olly. I have been in a lot of pain today with cramps in my legs and was in a bit of a bad mood. Please don't think I was wanting a slanging match, but I realise it came accross that way.

I agree with discomobiledj, at no time did either of us mention the price, let alone putting it into Euros, maybe charlie is in Charlieworld ?! As regards to the Twitter anf FB feed that has been removed, but for some reason the blog page has posted every entry twice. Anyone know why and how to fix it ?

I did say I won €150 but I didn't say exactly how much !

in other news I REALLY DID win €150 on the Lotto here ! (and spent it on a new and improved website !)

Charlie Brown
29-07-2011, 10:27 PM
in other news I REALLY DID win €150 on the Lotto here ! (and spent it on a new and improved website !)

;)

DeckstarDeluxe
29-07-2011, 10:29 PM
OK now I have relaxed a bit I would like to appologise for my rather scathing attack on Olly. I have been in a lot of pain today with cramps in my legs and was in a bit of a bad mood. Please don't think I was wanting a slanging match, but I realise it came accross that way.

Onwards and upwards :)

DJ Paulie
29-07-2011, 11:53 PM
So would anyone suggest a better theme ? also what are your views on stock images ? do you think people prefer photos of your rig, guests and venues, or don't they care so long as it's pretty pictures ?!

I sorted the double blog posts, but I tried a different them and now can't get rid of the search and catogories on the right hand side :mad:

Dynamic Entertainment
30-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I really dont see the problem with the theme. Its crisp, clean and not dark (unlike the hundreds of mobile disco sites who all have black/dark backgrounds).

DJ Paulie
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
OK I have installed a different them and added my blogs posts as well as some photos. BUT before anyone says it, yes I will be getting some better photos as soon as I can. (Not easy taking photos on your own & Mrs Paulie is worse than me !)

So fire suit on, what do you think ?

Dynamic Entertainment
04-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Links are all over the shop for me on IE9....theme...what plain black?

katman
04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Just looked myself, (IE8 here) and it looks absolutely kak in whatever mode I run IE 7/Quirks 7/7 8/quirks 8/8 8/compatability mode :(

I decided to check in firefox 3.6 and Opera and I have to say it looks fantastic but something is seriously screwing it up in IE.

The links appear one above the other on the left hand side and there is no header banner.

Hope you find the problem soon.

AndyC
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
The logo is over the links at the top of the page using ie 8 which is all i have here at the moment

DJ Paulie
04-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Wierd I'm using Firefox 5.0.1 and it looks pukka ! Haven't checked it in IE though, but I have got a couple of other themes, so might try them out and test them in all browsers !

katman
04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Like I said, its great in FF and Opera but messed up in IE. I notice from the source that it tests for the browser, maybe it isnt loading the required style sheet or script file.

DJ Paulie
04-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Maybe I should put a note on the front page 'Use Firefox or this site will look pants !' LOL I just did a spider test and got this result: http://tools.summitmedia.co.uk/spider/reportaeccf0c6789551e880149e3a51b590b6.html

katman
04-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Take a look in W3C Validator

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdiscoroyale.net%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Dynamic Entertainment
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Looked at it on firefox, and its spot on...great stuff. However, the name at the top looks pants...please please get a logo done or something....

DJ Paulie
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Next on my list ! Took me a while to get it right with the theme. Any ideas how to make it show properly with IE ?

katman
05-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Check the errors that W3C validator is showing. IE used to be the most forgiving browser if there was a mistake in the HTML whereas the other browsers would barf. Now the situation seems to have reversed.

I wrote some code a few months ago and it worked perfectly in everything except IE. It took me about 3 days to find the error and although I cant remember exactly what it was, it was something pretty minor, a missing quote or end tag but the effect on the page was to render it unusable.

I visited a customer the other day who couldnt use his webmail on a Mac yet his boss could, and he could also use it on a Windows machine. Turned out to be that he was using Safari whereas his boss was using FF. The page just wasnt compatable with Safari. Installed Firefox and he was able to check his email although if he selected "Advanced IE/Firefox Mode" he got an error saying the page used outdated technology no longer supported in FF and he had to use the "Basic Email (Any Browser)" setting.

There are now too many different browsers that all do different things when interpreting pages despite the "standards" that they should all be compliant with. The problem is compounded further when a website detects the version of the browser in use because often the designers only consider that the user will be IE or FF

I downgraded from IE9 to IE8 because a website I have to use all day everyday just stops responding in IE9. I also went on the Sky.com website the other day and it told me I should be using IE9 for the site to work properly which is absolutely nuts because some versions of Windows are unable to install anything later than IE6 :(

DJ Paulie
05-08-2011, 07:10 AM
It's just another ruse by Micro$oft to make us use buggy browser ! The theme is a wordpress one so should be ok. Well it's going to have to stay like that until next week I've got HTML swimming round my head at the moment ! Thanks for your help. :(

Charlie Brown
05-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Will your 'website design company' not help you out?

DJ Paulie
05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I've got one of my Facebook XHTML coders looking at it over the weekend !