PDA

View Full Version : Roadie

funkymike
16-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Iam after a roadie, whats the best way to find one chaps? on here, or local paper, or shop cards, and what about age? not getting into legal stuff.

Or anyone here from Bicester in Oxfordshire who wants to be one. I will even pay a little...possibly.

thoughts

cheers

Mike

Thames Valley Discos
16-09-2006, 03:11 PM
May Even Pay?????

funkymike
16-09-2006, 03:19 PM
May Even Pay?????

Yer depends :teeth:

colinm345
16-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Iam after a roadie, whats the best way to find one chaps? on here, or local paper, or shop cards, and what about age? not getting into legal stuff.

Or anyone here from Bicester in Oxfordshire who wants to be one. I will even pay a little...possibly.

thoughts

cheers

Mike

Hiya Mike

Local shop.cars in shops ,cards in Dj,Music shops maybe?:teeth:

Ricesnaps
16-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Mike, I think you HAVE to pay - about £30 should do it.

Card in shop windows is how I got mine!

DMX Will
16-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Stand outside your local secondary school for boys with a sign :teeth: :teeth:

Sapphire Disco
16-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Stand outside your local secondary school for boys with a sign :teeth: :teeth:

So what should his sign say , BOY WANTED ? :omg:

Ricesnaps
16-09-2006, 07:06 PM
So what should his sign say , BOY WANTED ? :omg:
Or maybe "I'm a pervert come and get in my car?"

Shop window and ALWAYS make sure that any teenagers who reply let you meet there folks to ensure there is no problem!

Thames Valley Discos
16-09-2006, 10:49 PM
you get what you pay for, pay peanuts, get a monkey.

funkymike
17-09-2006, 01:09 AM
you get what you pay for, pay peanuts, get a monkey.

when you roaded for me , you done it for free :teeth:

colinm345
17-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Mike, I think you HAVE to pay - about £30 should do it.

Card in shop windows is how I got mine!

£30 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My thats a bit 2 much?????????:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 02:16 AM
Only in the last couple of years have I paid anyone to roadie for me and that's very ocassionally.

I roadied for years for free and gained experience and got training to go and DJ myself, and I have also trained many a roadie to a standard where they can go and DJ for me or others.

Where else do you get free training for a job, and let's be honest, most people that would be roadying for you will already have full time employment and will be learning something that can earn them more money on top of their 'day job'.

Paying roadies....PAH!

Paul James Promotions
17-09-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm available, £150 per night + accomodation, food, drink and travelling expenses :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 02:42 AM
I'm available, £150 per night + accomodation, food, drink and travelling expenses :)

I'll keep that in mind then.... :omg:

Sure you won't be needing a driver too? :teeth:

And a personal assistant, hairdresser, chef, dentist...etc etc.... :teeth:

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Only in the last couple of years have I paid anyone to roadie for me and that's very ocassionally.

I roadied for years for free and gained experience and got training to go and DJ myself, and I have also trained many a roadie to a standard where they can go and DJ for me or others.

Where else do you get free training for a job, and let's be honest, most people that would be roadying for you will already have full time employment and will be learning something that can earn them more money on top of their 'day job'.

Paying roadies....PAH!
OK, this is obviously quite an imotive subject, but one I feel very very strongly about. If anyone thinks that it is OK to ask anyone, be it a young lad or an older guy / lady to spend 8 - 12 hours humping heavy equipment in and out of a venue - on occations up stairs or down long corridors, help rig and take down and then do a little music finding and DJing for absolutely nothing then you need a reality check! If you find anyone who's prepared to do that week in week out for the chance to learn the trade, then you have a very unique and foolish individual and IMHO you are effectively employing slave labour - which I do believe fits into the "ethical trading" guidelines.

£30 is NOT a lot of money and it can be easily factored into most quotes and price structures. It's not a fortune, but it does make the employment of a roadie a little more than a favour for a mate. Think about it yourself, would you do your gigs for nothing. Just say you could cover costs for £100, you wouldn't dream of working for that, please don't expect a roadie to do the same. It's not only unfair, but unethical.

Food fotr thought!

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 08:24 AM
when you roaded for me , you done it for free :teeth:
no i didnt, you just forgot to pay me the £100 you promised.

funkymike
17-09-2006, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Thames Valley Discos]no i didnt, you just forgot to pay me the £100 you promised.[/QUOTE
Doh!

CRAZY K
17-09-2006, 09:27 AM
And when you PAY a Roadie dont forget you need Employers Liability Insurance because you are EMPLOYING someone.

Presumably subject to all the discrimination laws as well.

Does that mean when you advertise in the newsagents window you cant stipulate you want a YOUNG person now for fear of being reported :teeth:

CRAZY K

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 09:37 AM
OK, this is obviously quite an imotive subject, but one I feel very very strongly about. If anyone thinks that it is OK to ask anyone, be it a young lad or an older guy / lady to spend 8 - 12 hours humping heavy equipment in and out of a venue - on occations up stairs or down long corridors, help rig and take down and then do a little music finding and DJing for absolutely nothing then you need a reality check! If you find anyone who's prepared to do that week in week out for the chance to learn the trade, then you have a very unique and foolish individual and IMHO you are effectively employing slave labour - which I do believe fits into the "ethical trading" guidelines.

£30 is NOT a lot of money and it can be easily factored into most quotes and price structures. It's not a fortune, but it does make the employment of a roadie a little more than a favour for a mate. Think about it yourself, would you do your gigs for nothing. Just say you could cover costs for £100, you wouldn't dream of working for that, please don't expect a roadie to do the same. It's not only unfair, but unethical.

Food fotr thought!

I must say I agree, £30 isn't a huge amount of money, even to someone of my age. Whenever we have in extras, they are always paid without question. £30 to instruct someone what to do for an evening...nothing!

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 10:00 AM
And when you PAY a Roadie dont forget you need Employers Liability Insurance because you are EMPLOYING someone.

Presumably subject to all the discrimination laws as well.

Does that mean when you advertise in the newsagents window you cant stipulate you want a YOUNG person now for fear of being reported :teeth:

CRAZY K
Absolutely Mr K, Not only employers liability should anything happen to the employee, but also extra PLI so that the employer is also covered by PLI - you will find that most policies cover the individual, not the business.

Good grief, I am absolutely not charging enough for my show!

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a good friend to help me.I pay him more than £30, but id rather have the help/company than struggle on my own.what good is all the money if you do your back in struggling.Also you need someone reliable. Its no good to man nor beast if they turn up when they feel like it. You need a good Friend, and thus pay him as such.

CRAZY K
17-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Rice said--

Good grief, I am absolutely not charging enough for my show!

You and most of the rest of us probably :sad:

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 12:40 PM
So, I'd like to ask this.

How many full time DJs here can afford to pay roadies?

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 12:57 PM
So, I'd like to ask this.

How many full time DJs here can afford to pay roadies?

Define full time.... Literally or 1-3 shows a week?

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Define full time.... Literally or 1-3 shows a week?

DJing for a living.

No other source of income, eg: another job that provides you with your main income.

And also this is going to vary with your circumstances, as without wishing to be rude to the younger forum members, a lot of you don't have to rely on the money for mortgages, family etc etc

Sapphire Disco
17-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I think there is a difference between helping someone from time to time, which I do with a well know popular DJ , on no account would I want any payment for it, unless it was a big £1k job.
However if it was a permanent arrangement and you were expected to work when you are told to, I think then a small payment my be appropriate £30- sounds about right.

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 01:47 PM
And also this is going to vary with your circumstances, as without wishing to be rude to the younger forum members, a lot of you don't have to rely on the money for mortgages, family etc etc

That's not rude, thats an advantage to us! :teeth: :teeth: Although I have to rely on it to pay my £10k loan for my car + insurance :omg:

funkymike
17-09-2006, 03:25 PM
moving on from a another post i just read, would you pay the roadie extra or some money if you where given say a 25 pound tip.????

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 03:29 PM
moving on from a another post i just read, would you pay the roadie extra or some money if you where given say a 25 pound tip.????

Yep.

alexperrins
17-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Can I ask? Might sound a bit silly but I have a mate that said he'd come along to some of my gigs - what sort of things could I ask him to help me with to make things easier? Sometimes I get carried away as I like to do everything myself (bit of a control freak I'm afraid!) I haven't done many gigs, but is it a common sight to see a roadie at a disco and would I have to ask the client if bringing one along is ok? Thankfully he said he come for free as I don't partcularly earn much!

Thanks!

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Get you drinks, put lights up, run cables etc

funkymike
17-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Can I ask? Might sound a bit silly but I have a mate that said he'd come along to some of my gigs - what sort of things could I ask him to help me with to make things easier? Sometimes I get carried away as I like to do everything myself (bit of a control freak I'm afraid!) I haven't done many gigs, but is it a common sight to see a roadie at a disco and would I have to ask the client if bringing one along is ok? Thankfully he said he come for free as I don't partcularly earn much!

Thanks!

I take the wife, shes a roadie/dancer/salesperson/flert and has been a bouncer a few times, nobody has ever questioned why, and shes free.

have to give her a lift home though :teeth:

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Cant you get her a taxi?

alexperrins
17-09-2006, 04:03 PM
:teeth: Bonus! Does she come along every event? Pretty useful.

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 04:12 PM
:teeth: Bonus! Does she come along every event? Pretty useful.
Ummm, could cause a problem some nights!!! lol :beer:

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I take the wife, shes a roadie/dancer/salesperson/flert and has been a bouncer a few times, nobody has ever questioned why, and shes free.

have to give her a lift home though :teeth:

There you go Alex, get yourself a wife!

Going back to your post about your friend being free, thats good, although might be a nice idea to pay him a little something, when you do a better paid gig :)

alexperrins
17-09-2006, 04:49 PM
:teeth: That's an idea! I'll try and pick one up next time I'm playing my next Wedding. :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2006, 04:56 PM
...my next Wedding. :teeth:Does that mean you've had several wives already? :D

alexperrins
17-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Very funny. I am a DJ you know! (I did say playing :teeth:) Maybe I should have said playing at!

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2006, 05:06 PM
That just makes it sound like you'll be cheating on your wife with the bridesmaids!!!! :omg: :omg: :omg: :)

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 05:26 PM
That just makes it sound like you'll be cheating on your wife with the bridesmaids!!!! :omg: :omg: :omg: :)

I'm getting the feeling you think there is something wrong with that Angela ?? :omg:

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2006, 05:57 PM
LOL! :teeth:

Corabar Steve
18-09-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm getting the feeling you think there is something wrong with that Angela ?? :omg:
Hmmmm, now let me see......... :teeth: