PDA

View Full Version : Moving head Vid

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-09-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm sure RobK won't mind me posting the link to this, but this is what the Stairville/Isolution moving heads look like when DMX'd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPUg0LPtP8

While you're on there, have a look at this one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nJHDktswY&NR

Very clever!

ian8limelight
16-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Daz,

How are you getting on with your moving heads ? I had some demo'd this morning and they are very impressive.

Do you use the CA-8 controller or other ? And are they OK with your double-bar stand ? I was a little concerned that the stand may not be high enough to set them out of guests eyes and you might not get the full effect.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Daz,

How are you getting on with your moving heads ? I had some demo'd this morning and they are very impressive.

Do you use the CA-8 controller or other ? And are they OK with your double-bar stand ? I was a little concerned that the stand may not be high enough to set them out of guests eyes and you might not get the full effect.

They're fine with the CA-8, but to get the most out of them, I think they need to be DMX'd.

There are differenr settings on them, dependant on where they are, so that they don't have to be in anyones face.

There's a floor setting, bar setting, speaker setting etc

funkymike
17-09-2006, 02:14 AM
perhaps its me, moving heads look kind off nice, but whats the difference between them and scanners? er none, apart from more money. At least with scanners you can ge the barrel type, all they appear to be is 4 dots moving around and changing colour, are they really worth it.

just my thoughts

mike

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 02:18 AM
perhaps its me, moving heads look kind off nice, but whats the difference between them and scanners? er none, apart from more money. At least with scanners you can ge the barrel type, all they appear to be is 4 dots moving around and changing colour, are they really worth it.

just my thoughts

mike

Have you used them Mike?

funkymike
17-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Have you used them Mike?

No, but i have seen a few on the road and had a demo last week in a shop the i-rock ones i think they where, with the discharge lamps. dont get me wrong they look nice and great beams, but its still a scanner or rather a dot, just cant see it myself.

Plus if youre in venue that has a no smoke policy, which includes a smoke machine, as I was tonight, all the lights look pants :sad:

Paul James Promotions
17-09-2006, 02:26 AM

just my thoughts

mike

1. You have 360 degree movement

2. In general, they are brighter

3. They look better on a rig

funkymike
17-09-2006, 02:27 AM
1. You have 360 degree movement

2. In general, they are brighter

3. They look better on a rig

Still a dot though :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 02:28 AM
And the beams are much wider too, giving more of a wash if you don't use smoke.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Still a dot though :teeth:

I used mine last night and they were anything but a dot. Trust me. :)

funkymike
17-09-2006, 02:31 AM
I understand what youre saying, but like scanners if you place them correctly they do the same job, I put 2 on the floor tonight, they lite the ceiling a treat, but if there are brighter and its a standard venue people just moan about them flashing there eyes, even with 250w standard bulb people still winge.

jamesh
17-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Used my EVL minispots for the first time tonight (well 2 out of the 4)... Bit over kill really as the party was only for 40 people but wanted to test them out and got nothing but good comments from the guests... They never once mentioned the 2 scans on the rig... but 3 people asked about the turny lights on the floor - saying how good they were and they must have been expensive...

Was quite funny as well as i could have used a smoke machine tonight but been so used to not using it lately that i just left it in the van and didn't even bother with it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 12:45 PM
... but 3 people asked about the turny lights on the floor - saying how good they were and they must have been expensive...

Where abouts on the floor did you put them James?

After taking an hour and a half to pack away last night, I'm reconsidering the way I set my show up! :omg: :sad:

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 03:04 PM
an hour and a half? god man what are you useing. thought i used enough kit... maybe not!

jamesh
17-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Well as it was a small gig i didn't use subs just the tops so i put one either side of my setup between the legs of the speaker stand - that way people were less likely to kick or stand on them... Looked great as not only had light coming down from the stand but had the variety of lights scanning around from low down... Looked really effective - can't wait to see the effect next weekend when i use all 4.

Doing a joint 23rd and 26th birthday function in a marquee so going to use the bass bins and all 4 moving heads, 4 scans and the spins and prostar - plan on having 2 of the moving heads on the truss and then 2 on the bass bins (safety chained to the speaker pole to stop it being knocked off). should look really nice with a bit of smoke..

funkymike
17-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Well as it was a small gig i didn't use subs just the tops so i put one either side of my setup between the legs of the speaker stand - that way people were less likely to kick or stand on them... Looked great as not only had light coming down from the stand but had the variety of lights scanning around from low down... Looked really effective - can't wait to see the effect next weekend when i use all 4.

Doing a joint 23rd and 26th birthday function in a marquee so going to use the bass bins and all 4 moving heads, 4 scans and the spins and prostar - plan on having 2 of the moving heads on the truss and then 2 on the bass bins (safety chained to the speaker pole to stop it being knocked off). should look really nice with a bit of smoke..

My point, A LITTLE SMOKE

otherwise 4 dots

Paul James Promotions
17-09-2006, 03:15 PM
My point, A LITTLE SMOKE

otherwise 4 dots

It's the same with other lighting though isn't it? No smoke = less effective...

I prefer to have the rig looking nice, not the dancefloor.....

funkymike
17-09-2006, 03:16 PM
It's the same with other lighting though isn't it? No smoke = less effective...

So whats the pooint in spending 1500 quid on new lights that are pointless

Paul James Promotions
17-09-2006, 03:18 PM
So whats the pooint in spending 1500 quid on new lights that are pointless

:teeth: :teeth:

funkymike
17-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Guess thats the difference between a promotion and a disco then?

jamesh
17-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Well without smoke i think the only lights that are not a little dot are moon flowers which in effect are lots of little dots with a pretty pattern on the dancefloor... But then moving heads produce a patten on the dance floor too.

Without a little smoke effect (whether from smoke/haze machine, people smoking or dust particles) scanners, barrels and moving heads are all useless...

Think the only lighting that doesnt look like a little dot (or lots of little dots) without smoke that actually looks quite nice are LED bars/pars etc... which provide one block of colour...

Paul James Promotions
17-09-2006, 03:36 PM
The moving heads look better as a 'fitting' on a rig, the fact that the actual 'head' moves looks good, plus they are usually brighter than other types of lighting.

In no way are they useless without smoke. Most units that use discharge lamps will still cut through the air regardless.

ian8limelight
17-09-2006, 06:58 PM
They're fine with the CA-8, but to get the most out of them, I think they need to be DMX'd.

There are differenr settings on them, dependant on where they are, so that they don't have to be in anyones face.

There's a floor setting, bar setting, speaker setting etc

Thanks Darren, appreciate the update; any joy on the cases for them ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks Darren, appreciate the update; any joy on the cases for them ?

Yep, they arrived on Friday.

Still awaiting a price for the Martin EFX500 though...

Steve!!

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Sorry - he's been working all weekend. :embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 07:25 PM

I'll let you off!

Just an approximate cost would be good. :)

ian8limelight
17-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Steve!!

But he's a star though. :teeth:

edwin
17-09-2006, 08:47 PM
plan on having 2 of the moving heads on the truss and then 2 on the bass bins (safety chained to the speaker pole to stop it being knocked off). should look really nice with a bit of smoke..

Are you concerned that the bass bin vibrations could reduce lamp life?

pdarnett
17-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Daz shouldn't you be getting the efx600 though, discharge lamp and all that???

jamesh
17-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Are you concerned that the bass bin vibrations could reduce lamp life?

A little but shouldn't be too much of an issue.... Think someone once told me discharge lamps were a little stronger too so less of a problem than with halogen.....

If i get through too many lamps i'll have a re-think :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Daz shouldn't you be getting the efx600 though, discharge lamp and all that???

The 600 was quite a bit more expensive and the heads are halogen anyway, so probably no!

Corabar Steve
18-09-2006, 10:50 AM
& asleep most of yesterday,when I wasn't working :embarasse :sleep:

Shaun
18-09-2006, 10:53 AM
& asleep most of yesterday,when I wasn't working :embarasse :sleep:

THat's what happens when you get old. Hold on, I'll pass you yer pipe and slippers.

Corabar Steve
18-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Hold on, I'll pass you yer pipe and slippers.
Hold on a minute, that's not 'til next year!