PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get free photos from for my website.

Matty12
09-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi there,:)

Hope your all ok,;)

I am after a website which can give me free photos for my website as the istoke ones are quite pricey.

If you know of any, please let me know,;)

Matthew,:)

PS: It has to be legal and these photo are going to be in a banner, I don't mind paying a little bit for them.

Sapphire Disco
09-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Why don't you just take your own or ask anyone that's been to a function you have done if they have any photo's you might be able to use ?

Booche
09-08-2011, 01:35 PM
http://depositphotos.com

Do a 7 day trial which could be handy

DeckstarDeluxe
09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi there,:)

Hope your all ok,;)

I am after a website which can give me free photos for my website as the istoke ones are quite pricey.

If you know of any, please let me know,;)

Matthew,:)

PS: It has to be legal and these photo are going to be in a banner, I don't mind paying a little bit for them.

Don't think what you are asking for exists.

What is your budget, what do you need photos of? How many?

DiscoMagic
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I use istock photos - fairly cheap, but good quality.

Some people do 'obtain' images from Google - but that is illegal and breaks copyright law

chrisj
09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I use photos taken at previous functions and they sell me so often. People cll or email and tell me the site has made their mind up to book me but....so many times I have to say 'sorry I am already booked'.

Get a good camera, take pictures and put them on your site so people see what they will get.

yourdj
10-08-2011, 09:27 AM
You mean

"for your website"?

Try istock. Make sure you choose the right ones as its not cheap.

Mark Wild
10-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Try istock. Make sure you choose the right ones as its not cheap.

Clues in the title Toby "Where can I get free photos for my website"

Matty12
10-08-2011, 11:14 AM
http://depositphotos.com

Do a 7 day trial which could be handy

Thanks.:)

By the way thanks for everybody's posts so far.;)

discomobiledj
10-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Who did you get to do your website in the end?

Disco
30-08-2011, 08:42 AM
there are no such things are "free" images.

By using free images, you are going to get yourself a fine, from the image police (£1000 per image)

Your best bet is to spend £20, and purchase istock images. £20 will get you upto 7 decent images, depeding on size/resolution!

DazzyD
30-08-2011, 10:16 PM

By using free images, you are going to get yourself a fine, from the image police (£1000 per image)

Your best bet is to spend £20, and purchase istock images. £20 will get you upto 7 decent images, depeding on size/resolution!

Who on earth told you that?

For various projects I've used "free" images (which should really read "royalty-free") and there are loads of them out there. You've just got to know where to look.

For example, one resource I frequently use for my projects the process is to select the image you want from an online gallery, fill in a simple form detailing what you are using the image for, the form is then sent to the image copyright holder (usually the photographer but not always), then that person, if he approves, sends you a "licence" to use that image. All you have to do in return is acknowledge the copyright holder (which usually consists of a tagline stating "reproduced by kind permission of XXX") and that's all there is to it. However, some images can be charged for and it's not uncommon to see image licence's up for grabs over £1,000 (depending on quality of image, size, number of impressions, etc.) so you have to be careful which ones you choose!

And this particular resource is also a forum for photographers which accept subject matter requests so if you can't find what you're looking for you can always ask.

So, contrary to your opening statement, there really is such a thing as "free" images!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-08-2011, 11:09 PM

Can you please be sure that any information you post is correct before posting, thank you.

Disco
31-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Can you please be sure that any information you post is correct before posting, thank you.

god, you guys are a friendly bunch aren't you? I was just passing on information I was told. I'll keep me gob shut next time :zip:

Corabar Steve
31-08-2011, 08:45 AM
god, you guys are a friendly bunch aren't you? I was just passing on information I was told. I'll keep me gob shut next time

As "Web designer", I would have thought you would have known about royalty free images.

Evidently this is not the case.

I was just passing on information I was told.
That seems to be the key point, something you were told. By whom? I would check anything else they've told you just in case.

If you don't know something as 100% accurate, we appreciate it if you don't post it. This forum is for professionals & we try to keep the advice factual & accurate. Posting something that isn't does nobody any favours.

Shaun
31-08-2011, 08:58 AM
god, you guys are a friendly bunch aren't you? I was just passing on information I was told. I'll keep me gob shut next time :zip:

What was unfriendly about Darren's post? He was very polite in his request. :confused:

DazzyD
31-08-2011, 01:15 PM

I wasn't trying to be unfriendly. It's just that the forums tries to pride itself on accurate information that is useful to people and your statement wasn't correct.

Apologies if my reply came over as a bit harsh. I certainly didn't intend it to be.

Paul The Party Dj
31-08-2011, 03:18 PM
As I just posted on another thread ...

I recently went back to all my couples from the last 12 months and asked if they had any pictures I could use (with their photographers permission of course) - so my new website if 100% genuine pictures from my events.

Good luck