PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Disco?

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Just after a few thoughts on this,

I was invited to a friends 18th on friday, it didn't occour to me there might be a disco (duh). So I arrived with an ex-technically minded mate to find this disco in the corner. I won't comment on the SoundLab lighting, as I realise I have high expectations of this.

However, I'm wondering if it is the norm for DJs to play some absolutely great tracks of the current chart early on in the evening, and then downgrade to older tracks that most of the younger guests had never heard of. (When we do this age group, we tend to play these tracks towards the end, as the YMCA etc are pretty much a no-go 80% of the time)

The party consisted of all Ages from about 15-45, however it was very clear anyone over the age of 18 wasn't going to dance all evening, yet all these older tracks were played, I understand the DJs were probably trying to get them to dance/play something they knew, but still it was never going to happen.

So I guess the question is, do you follow this pattern? And are we the minority?

Creature
17-09-2006, 02:09 PM
dunno - if people not dancing tend to move around the genres until i find something they gonna dance to.....but then again u dont know what the bookee asked for - ive done some partys were the payee has stipulated what they want and roughly when for it not to work and ive changed it around and get people on the dance floor - only for them to complain that it isnt what they wanted .....

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 02:12 PM
dunno - if people not dancing tend to move around the genres until i find something they gonna dance to.....but then again u dont know what the bookee asked for - ive done some partys were the payee has stipulated what they want and roughly when for it not to work and ive changed it around and get people on the dance floor - only for them to complain that it isnt what they wanted .....

Well we were all dancing early to the newer tracks, and "chilling" later on, which is the wrong way round!

Nothing was specified to the DJs, all the music was of their own accord.

They also didn't play a request I made 3 times, including one time when I cheekily wrote "PLAY THIS ...." on the back of one of my bussiness cards :teeth:

Shaun
17-09-2006, 02:33 PM
They also didn't play a request I made 3 times, including one time when I cheekily wrote "PLAY THIS ...." on the back of one of my bussiness cards

I wonder why he didn'y play your request?..Hmmmm. I probably would have ripped up your card and handed you it back. :)

As dj's we've all experienced other dj's coming up to us while we're working. Personally I won't even introduce myself as a DJ if I'm at a party as a guest. If the party was a good night I'll go up and thank the dj but that's it. Don't take this the wrong way but I think handing the dj your business card and stating "PLAY THIS" was rude (in my opinion).

No offence intended Will, just stating my thoughts on this. :) :beer: :)

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Agreed. Why hand your business card? If you did that to me id slap you one!!!!
I,m sure the guy tried his best. You should be asking, what made your friend book them. Was it the price? the word of mouth? Get a life... you do your job, let others do theirs!!!! Sorry but as a guest, thats what you are. You are not employed by them, so let your self go. Enjoy the night! :beer: :beer:

funkymike
17-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Agreed. Why hand your business card? If you did that to me id slap you one!!!!
I,m sure the guy tried his best. You should be asking, what made your friend book them. Was it the price? the word of mouth? Get a life... you do your job, let others do theirs!!!!

Very correct mr P, I would beg the question why they booked him and not you? :teeth:

soundtracker
17-09-2006, 02:51 PM
I did a joint 18th and 21st last night, the 20's were great, really up for a party, the 18's were just intent on getting ****ed, posing and preserving their cool, had a playlist mainly r'n'b and rock,but got them in numbers when I used my noggin and played some old school dance.

funkymike
17-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Well we were all dancing early to the newer tracks, and "chilling" later on, which is the wrong way round!

Nothing was specified to the DJs, all the music was of their own accord.

They also didn't play a request I made 3 times, including one time when I cheekily wrote "PLAY THIS ...." on the back of one of my bussiness cards :teeth:

I would have had a field day on the mic with that one, even though iam mic shy :embarasse

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Very correct mr P, I would beg the question why they booked him and not you? :teeth:
Agreed Mr Funky! :beer:

Danno13
17-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't say passing a business card is a definate no-no... although mabye in this case, and the way it was done was out of order.

I don't really get a chance to go to many discos that i'm not doing myself.. but if i was impressed with the Dj i'd probably go and chat to them and swap cards.. its always good to know local DJs you can trade work with.

In answer to the original question, most 18ths i've done tend to be modern stuff early on.. and then a mixture with the real big modern tracks and a bit of student music.. livin' on a prayer, don't stop me now, the jacksons etc. along with some 90s dance classics. I usually try and get the latest boring non-dancey RnB out of the way early on.. to save me getting nagged for it later on when it will kill the floor.

Although if there are parents there as well, then i'd probably play a few tracks that they could dance to.. if thats what they want.

Shaun
17-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't say passing a business card is a definate no-no... although mabye in this case, and the way it was done was out of order.

There's a difference between introducing yourself in a professional manner and handing a card with "PLAY THIS" emblazened on the reverse.

I'm all for taking requests, but I don't take demands lightly. :beer:

jamesh
17-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I agree with danno on what he said about music...

Although it does greatly depend on the night itself and reading the audience... As others have said if i play a couple of songs that dont work (early evening i class songs as working if people sitting down but tapping their feet, hand, or singing along etc.. not just if they are on the dancefloor) then i change the music style to something else untill i find something the majority seem to be into...

I don't really have a set structure on the night as every function is different - although we all know there are certain songs that do tend to get left untill later in the evening after people have had a few drinks and generally they tend to be the older "classics".

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I would beg the question why they booked him and not you? :teeth:

They charged £100 for a 7.30-11.30 show, we don't :)

I think I may have potrayed what happened slightly differently to how it was, however I don't think it was rude, as the DJ had played several requested tracks, and not this one (despite the fact it was requested before the others). What I think was out of order, was them promising to play a track, and then clearly not, something I know alot of you don't practice.

As with the card, giving it simply said "Please remember to play this ..." not just "Play this" had i known this would have kicked up a fuss I would have written it in full first :teeth:. This was also the 4th time someone had mentioned the track to him (not just me). And whos to say the card was mine? Somone could have given it to me to write on :)

spin mobile disco
17-09-2006, 03:30 PM
I did a wedding a couple of weeks ago for another DJ, he introduced himself at the begining said hi told me what he wanted for the evening then left me to it.
At the end of the night came up to me and said it was great it made a good evening. Swaped cards and left it at that. I dont mind getting the non dancy new stuff out of the way at the beginning when people just want to sit and listen. But im same i wont break the flow when i get everyone up dancing just to pander to one persons taste and wreck it for every one else.

Like they say you can please most of the people most of the time and some of the people some of the time (slightly out of context but i like it this way round lol)

Danno13
17-09-2006, 04:06 PM
What was this song you requested Will? Mabye the DJ didn't have it? (Or it was crap lol)

Thames Valley Discos
17-09-2006, 04:11 PM
They charged £100 for a 7.30-11.30 show, we don't :)

I think I may have potrayed what happened slightly differently to how it was, however I don't think it was rude, as the DJ had played several requested tracks, and not this one (despite the fact it was requested before the others). What I think was out of order, was them promising to play a track, and then clearly not, something I know alot of you don't practice.

As with the card, giving it simply said "Please remember to play this ..." not just "Play this" had i known this would have kicked up a fuss I would have written it in full first :teeth:. This was also the 4th time someone had mentioned the track to him (not just me). And whos to say the card was mine? Somone could have given it to me to write on :)
Think you are missing the point though. I have people request songs, that i never play. Normally cos they ask near the end of an evening, or ask for songs that just wont work. I play to the crowd not to an individual.

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2006, 04:12 PM
The other thing I would ask is how long after you requested it the first time did you wait before asking again, and the next time, etc?.... you know yourself that if you are trying to put together a smooth show, and someone requests something that doesn't fit, it might be a while before you can get around to it to drop it in nicely...... if you'd asked twice and done your little 'card trick' by then, he might have said stuff it!

jwpentgroup
17-09-2006, 04:12 PM
that's similar to what i did last night. Started with general top 40 which most of the young ones and a bit of a mixture enjoyed. Lator on i played a few from the 60's, mainly motown and lots of 70's & 80's. Also chucked in a few "Modern Floorfillers" such as My Humps, Push The Button, Don't Cha etc to great success.

I had a young lady who every 5 minutes came up and asked me for the same track. Something which to be quite honest just annoyed me and didn't get her track played any quicker!! I also had a young lad come up and demand i played a track next - guess what!! I didnt play it at all. (Partly because he was very rude and partly because the track was very very unsuitable for the audience).

With requests - i agree DJ's should were possible always try and play those requests. HOWEVER, last night i had around 20 tracks requested from under 13's, and every track they requested cleared the dancefloor... well... compared to what it was like before. After 10.30 i stopped playing those requests, if i had a suitable request from the adult audience i would have course done my best to play it. But you have to think of your other guests.
Most of the night, and most certainly after 10.30 the floor was packed right through till midnight and i'm sure a great night was had by all.

Pic's: http://johnnyweiserdiscos.jonathanedwards.dj/gallery2/thumbnails.php?album=10

alexperrins
17-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Would be interested to know what track you asked for too Will!

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 04:23 PM
The other thing I would ask is how long after you requested it the first time did you wait before asking again, and the next time, etc?.... you know yourself that if you are trying to put together a smooth show, and someone requests something that doesn't fit, it might be a while before you can get around to it to drop it in nicely...... if you'd asked twice and done your little 'card trick' by then, he might have said stuff it!

About an hour ish. He must have had it, as he said he would play it. He had several chances to say he didn't. The track wasn't even for me!! He could have easily have fit it in, there was no real pattern going on, and the genres and times jumped all over the place, not that it didn't work for most of the time.

Requested song was Cascada - Everytime We Touch

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Who???

And how many times have we all said "yep play it later" just to get rid of a punter?

However from many year experiance I would say that the majority of youngsters actually love the older stuff, especially YMCA, Macarina Grease etc...

To add to all the other comments, I would also like to point out that unless specifically asked by the person who booked and on the basis that they are unhappy and would like you to get involved, it is absolutely unacceptable to aproach the DJ at all (unless it's to say your great I guess). We all get anoyed with other DJ's, just learn to live with it!

DMX Will
17-09-2006, 05:25 PM
To add to all the other comments, I would also like to point out that unless specifically asked by the person who booked and on the basis that they are unhappy and would like you to get involved, it is absolutely unacceptable to aproach the DJ at all (unless it's to say your great I guess). We all get anoyed with other DJ's, just learn to live with it!

Do you feel it is unacceptable to make a request when the DJ has said "If you have a request, come and let us know!" ? :rolleyes:

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Do you feel it is unacceptable to make a request when the DJ has said "If you have a request, come and let us know!" ? :rolleyes:
I think there comes a time when you have to learn to grow up - sorry if I am a little harsh. From what I have read, all I can see is the unprofessional "I'm a DJ I know better" coming through. Consider how irritated you get with punters asking for bizare off the wall stuff? We all use the "sure I'll play it later" line and god forbit I tell a punter I have a track when I don't - shoot me now!

But using your own business card to make a point is absolutely not the way to do things!

A1DL
17-09-2006, 05:35 PM

another belter from AATW :teeth:

Danno13
17-09-2006, 05:35 PM
In all fairness Cascada is in the top 10 (doh! its number 12 now but was as high as 3-4 i think) and a pretty popular track...

Personally, i think the DJ just didn't have it but didn't want to admit it. Hardly a hanging offence though...

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 05:40 PM
another belter from AATW :teeth:
It says it's No 12 on the Radio 1 site. Can't say I've heard it played much and to be honest it's not the sort of thing I would take out with me (unless I got a lot of asks for it). It certainly wouldn't be top of my playlist for a younger crowd.

Each to there own!

Right then, hands in the air? Y M C A...... I can't hear you...... :teeth: :teeth:

Silver
17-09-2006, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=DMX Will]Just after a few thoughts on this,

However, I'm wondering if it is the norm for DJs to play some absolutely great tracks of the current chart early on in the evening, and then downgrade to older tracks that most of the younger guests had never heard of. (When we do this age group, we tend to play these tracks towards the end, as the YMCA etc are pretty much a no-go 80% of the time)

Sorry- DOWNGRADE!!! What makes older tracks lower grade than current tunes, what you need to bear in mind is that a lot of current hits are based on older material, remixed etc.... I find the remark offensive! :mad:

CRAZY K
17-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Rice said
I would say that the majority of youngsters actually love the older stuff, especially YMCA, Macarena Grease etc...

Spot on Rice, played the ( Cowboy) Macarena twice last night at a 21st birthday. Announced as a Line Dance--well it is a Line Dance isnt it? :teeth:

I changed your spelling OF MACARENA--hope you dont mind :teeth:

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Rice said
I would say that the majority of youngsters actually love the older stuff, especially YMCA, Macarena Grease etc...

Spot on Rice, played the ( Cowboy) Macarena twice last night at a 21st birthday. Announced as a Line Dance--well it is a Line Dance isnt it? :teeth:

I changed your spelling OF MACARENA--hope you dont mind :teeth:

CRAZY K
Could make a list of this, youngsters disco faves:

YMCA
Macarena
Time Warp
Blame it on the Boogie
Twist and shout
Dancing Queen
Is this the way to Amarillo
Wham - Wake me up before you go go

funkymike
17-09-2006, 06:51 PM

YMCA
Macarena
Time Warp
Blame it on the Boogie
Twist and shout
Dancing Queen

and the cha cha slide!!!

jwpentgroup
17-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I can't honestly say i've ever done anything over an 18th and played more new tracks than 'oldies'!!!

Excalibur
17-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Just after a few thoughts on this,

I was invited to a friends 18th on friday, it didn't occour to me there might be a disco (duh). So I arrived with an ex-technically minded mate to find this disco in the corner. I won't comment on the SoundLab lighting, as I realise I have high expectations of this.

The party consisted of all Ages from about 15-45, however it was very clear anyone over the age of 18 wasn't going to dance all evening, yet all these older tracks were played, I understand the DJs were probably trying to get them to dance/play something they knew, but still it was never going to happen.

So I guess the question is, do you follow this pattern? And are we the minority?

As a general rule, yes. And by the way, the word you were searching for was UPGRADE! :)
Since nothing is cast in stone, you obviously have to read your audience. One of the more annoying things we mature DJ's have to put up with is the young persons coming up and asking " Can't you play something to dance to? " when there is no more room on the dancefloor! Roughly translated " Can't you play this modern track, which will probably empty the dancefloor?"
I'm sure we've all been there.

leighinstoke
17-09-2006, 07:37 PM

YMCA
Macarena
Time Warp
Blame it on the Boogie
Twist and shout
Dancing Queen

Blimey - you've posted a nice chunk of my playlist from last night!!!

Had Timewarp requested @ 7pm - I hadn't even started yet!

Leigh....

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Blimey - you've posted a nice chunk of my playlist from last night!!!

Had Timewarp requested @ 7pm - I hadn't even started yet!

Leigh....
That'll be a tenner to you - playlistsRus! :omg:

Sapphire Disco
17-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Another song that always seems to get a great response for me is Saturday night.

edwin
17-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Personally I think the choice of song largely depends on the crowd. I'm used to playing the "big hits" of the moment in the last 2 hours of the disco, and rarely get asked for "Classic" songs at 18ths. In fact, on the ocassions I do play them, some of them go down amazingly, and others (for example Timewarp) completely flop. Hit and miss :s

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Personally I think the choice of song largely depends on the crowd. I'm used to playing the "big hits" of the moment in the last 2 hours of the disco, and rarely get asked for "Classic" songs at 18ths. In fact, on the ocassions I do play them, some of them go down amazingly, and others (for example Timewarp) completely flop. Hit and miss :s
Which at the end of the day is what we get paid to do - read the audience. If two gigs were the same life would be SO dull!

Keri
18-09-2006, 02:06 AM
hmmm interesting reading....... When went to liam aunts wedding she had the DJ that came with the room. He did a totaly different thing to what we do, but before i went home i nipped up and had a chat with him asked him for his details as we get alot of calls from the manchester area and alot of it is stuff we don't/won't cover so said i might be able to pass him on a bit of work he gave me his card. I also gave him the forum addy and so on.

But theres nothing worse than the "DJ" in the crowd trying to make a point..... regardless of wether you were/are/could be better or worse than they are/were.

I have to agree tho with the right crowd and everyone smashed of there little faces you can sometimes if your really carefull have some good fun with some older tunes at 18ths......

Altho most of the stuff we get booked for people are after more specific things like 21st not long ago where the whole night was rock and punk, with an over an hour long set of heavy drum and bass and hardish dance towards the end, and everyone from young to old danced nearly the whole night except from when they got knackered from dancing to hard lol so really does depend on the people.

abyssdjhire
18-09-2006, 02:15 AM
on a similar note, people complain far too much about chavs at "discos"... we like chavs at our "discos" personally ;)

dj andy allwood
18-09-2006, 06:55 AM
if i was doing an 18th i wouldn't really play alot of older stuff.

maybe play some new music to start with then some 70's and 80's classics then back to the new stuff like r&b and pop :)

i might play ymca aswell though :embarasse