PDA

View Full Version : Temple Pier

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm working on a boat next week and have to load at Temple Pier. The woman at the event company says it's a 'bit' steep where you have to load, so I am wondering if anyone has ever loaded on to a boat from there?

Corabar Steve
11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Many moons ago & as far as I remember it depends on the tide.

Shakermaker Promotions
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Where is this Darren?
I was in London a few weeks back on a boat and the load in was bad but this post is pointless if you aren't in London.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Where is this Darren?
I was in London a few weeks back on a boat and the load in was bad but this post is pointless if you aren't in London.

Yes, it is London. On the Embankment.

Shakermaker Promotions
11-08-2011, 05:57 PM
I was on a boat called the Thames Princess and I loaded in at Lambeth Pier, Albert Embankment. Not sure if it's where you are mate but for the record, yes it was VERY steep and pretty dangerous to be fair as there wasn't a lot of room at the time because people were getting on other boats.

Parking was iffy too.

Unloading at the other end was an absolute nightmare. It was Westminster and I couldn't get the van anywhere nearer than 200m.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Parking is organised and I will hopefully have someone with me. I am taking the smallest show I can (and have told them that!) consisting of Ultimax Micro stand, Kam Powerbar, Denon MC6000, QSC K10s and RCF sub. It will all be on trolleys or wheels so hopefully that will make it easier.

I have contacted the boat/event company who tell me that DJs do this "All the time" and there will be people to help...

We'll see.

Thanks for the information Gary.

Shakermaker Promotions
11-08-2011, 06:06 PM
No problem mate. I guess my night was made more difficult because I had no'one with me and I had no help as promised beforehand by the customer. I also had monitors etc because I was providing Photo Projection too.

By the way, those boats are made for midgets too....the ceilings are very low.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
No problem mate. I guess my night was made more difficult because I had no'one with me and I had no help as promised beforehand by the customer. I also had monitors etc because I was providing Photo Projection too.

By the way, those boats are made for midgets too....the ceilings are very low.

I'll be alright then...:D

ian8limelight
11-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Many moons ago & as far as I remember it depends on the tide.

I worked on a number of Thames riverboats many moons ago and loaded on from various Piers. As Steve says, it depends on the tide on the night you are working and sometimes the pier/jetty can be VERY steep. In the days when I worked we only had to take vinyl :eek: (OK, about 6 cases and 4 wooden 'Schweppes' crates).

The fact that you have got trolleys (and a roadie) should make your life a lot easier.

Ahoy shipmates :D :D

Chris1984
11-08-2011, 07:47 PM
what are the time/date you load in /out im just just checking tides for this weekend!

CRAZY K
11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm working on a boat next week and have to load at Temple Pier. The woman at the event company says it's a 'bit' steep where you have to load, so I am wondering if anyone has ever loaded on to a boat from there?

Ill bet its a bit steep-I hope your fee is Darren, look out for the rain forecast firstly and of course it will be pitch black when you come off the boat==so have lighting available, I dont expect there will be much, these type of places are often a bit Spartan when it comes to getting on and off.

I would treat comments like--other DJs do it all the time no problem with a large sack of salt.

They would say that.

I think you will find Health and Safety generally poor in these locations.

Good luck with it Darren anyway--

My experience of event companies is lets say a little chequered--unless of course you know and trust them.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2011, 10:25 PM
what are the time/date you load in /out im just just checking tides for this weekend!

It's next Friday and I aim to be there for 4:30pm.

funksoulbrother
11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Darren,

I advised Gary on the forum that the boats ceilings are very low, which he confirmed when he did his river cruise. I would advise you to use the Kam Powerbar on lighting stand (probably very near it's lowest setting) as you will probably find that you will not be able to get your overhead bar fixed on your Ultimax micro stand, unless it is a very new boat with normal ceiling heights.

Also, a lot of the gangways down to the boats, even though they are coated with non-slip paint/covering, also have wooden or metal battens fixed across the floor of the gangways to stop people slipping (but not great for wheeling flightcases/deckstands down. You may find that you have to carry all your equipment down by hand, I hope I'm wrong, but that the experience that I've had.

I generally find that if you know the name of the boat operator and boat, have a look at their website, as they all show photos of the inside of the boat and shots of recent/past events, which can be of some help.:)

Chris1984
12-08-2011, 07:03 AM
It's next Friday and I aim to be there for 4:30pm.

looks like youll be loading at high tide but low tide is around 2245 where it will have dropped around 4.5 meters which means a rather steep ramp im afraid!

katman
12-08-2011, 07:08 AM
I once did an all day disco on a Rig supply vessel for British Gas. It was high tide when I was setting up and packing away and the gang plank was like see-saw pivoted on the safety railing of the vessel. NOT fun !! Neither was the fact that every record I played was 20% fast because the power supply on the boat was 60Hz not 50Hz.

Chris1984
12-08-2011, 08:18 AM
I once did an all day disco on a Rig supply vessel for British Gas. It was high tide when I was setting up and packing away and the gang plank was like see-saw pivoted on the safety railing of the vessel. NOT fun !! Neither was the fact that every record I played was 20% fast because the power supply on the boat was 60Hz not 50Hz.

why would having a frequency change make the music play faster?

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-08-2011, 08:21 AM
looks like youll be loading at high tide but low tide is around 2245 where it will have dropped around 4.5 meters which means a rather steep ramp im afraid!

The party finishes at 10pm - will that make any difference?

katman
12-08-2011, 08:25 AM
why would having a frequency change make the music play faster?

Because back in the days of Garrard SP25's and BSR BDS 80's they used Synchronous motors that locked to the mains frequency. This was before all the disco consoles got turntables with DC motors and varispeed control.

Corabar Steve
12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
The party finishes at 10pm - will that make any difference?
You finish 45 mins before low tide, 45 mins to pack down a minimal rig will mean you are offloading at low tide.

Chris1984
12-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Because back in the days of Garrard SP25's and BSR BDS 80's they used Synchronous motors that locked to the mains frequency. This was before all the disco consoles got turntables with DC motors and varispeed control.

fair point - that is a while ago! :-)

on the subject of power. It interesting how everyone preaches about marquee power and generators etc.

Yet nobody has mentioned anything about the power supply on boats.....