PDA

View Full Version : Denon MC6000 Ducking Feature

welby
16-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Is it me, or is anyone else tried the mic ducking feature on the Denon MC6000.

It is horrendous.

It ducks to about 90%-95% volume and the return delay is about 1.5 seconds.

When I use it people think I have just stopped the music!

Not good.

DeckstarDeluxe
16-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Prefer to do it myself, like you I wasn't happy with some of the levels.

soundtracker
16-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Prefer to do it myself, like you I wasn't happy with some of the levels.

Yeah its alright for you, you're the DUCK Star!

DeckstarDeluxe
16-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah its alright for you, you're the DUCK Star!

Its my USP Donald duck jingles and outfit :D

supersound
16-08-2011, 07:33 PM
quackers

DJ Jules
16-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I've had the same experience with every Denon Mixer I've ever used (DN-X120, DN-X500, etc). The volume levels are cut dramatically and the return time is too high.

I've always just controlled the volume with the faders when talking over tracks.

Out of interest, have any Pioneer users got any feedback about their latest efforts to put "Talkover" into their products? From memory one of their newest generations of mixers had some advanced talkover technology which allowed you be heard clearly over music without the overall volume being cut?

Julian

sweetie
16-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Good job you didnt get your 'D' and 'F' mixed up Welby!

I find the talkover on my Pioneer Dm 5000 to be very good and a significant improvement on my previous denon dnx500

Dynamic Entertainment
16-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Good job you didnt get your 'D' and 'F' mixed up Welby!

I find the talkover on my Pioneer Dm 5000 to be very good and a significant improvement on my previous denon dnx500

Whats a Deature when its at home :sofa:

atlanticdisco
17-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Like Sweetie i find my Pioneer DJM5000 talk over to be spot on.

Iain

DJ Jules
18-08-2011, 06:28 AM
At £725 for a DM5000 mixer or £599 for a MC6000 combined mixer and decks, I'd expect the talkover to be spot on ;)

Again out of curiosity, are you using the USB Soundcard feature of the DM5000 or putting analogue audio through it (i.e. using it as a traditional mixer?)

Julian

BeerFunk
18-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I've never used Talkover buttons, probably never will. This is partly because they aren't up to the job, and partly because I prefer to have complete control over the timing.

Corabar Steve
18-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I've never used Talkover buttons, probably never will. This is partly because they aren't up to the job, and partly because I prefer to have complete control over the timing.
Indeed. I've never found a mixer yet where the talkover actually works anywhere near how you'd want it to.

deltic
18-08-2011, 08:39 AM
At £725 for a DM5000 mixer or £599 for a MC6000 combined mixer and decks, I'd expect the talkover to be spot on ;)

Again out of curiosity, are you using the USB Soundcard feature of the DM5000 or putting analogue audio through it (i.e. using it as a traditional mixer?)

Julian

i use an mep7000 with mine connected to the 5000 via the digital in and out,have been known to use the usb soundcard in the 5000 on the odd occasion with a macbook works superb

Indeed. I've never found a mixer yet where the talkover actually works anywhere near how you'd want it to.

seems to work fine on the djm5000 for me.

Gary
11-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Hmmm, you'd like the MC6000 mic ducking feature improved you say...?

sonicdj
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I've had the same experience with every Denon Mixer I've ever used (DN-X120, DN-X500, etc). The volume levels are cut dramatically and the return time is too high.

I've always just controlled the volume with the faders when talking over tracks.

Out of interest, have any Pioneer users got any feedback about their latest efforts to put "Talkover" into their products? From memory one of their newest generations of mixers had some advanced talkover technology which allowed you be heard clearly over music without the overall volume being cut?

Julian

I have djm700 and the talkover is very good, however I never use it ! I always adjust the music volume manually ...no idea why

Gary
12-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Within any product range there are some units better at some things than others.

Some of the Denon DJ mixers have very good, easy to use, adjustable talk over systems such as the DN-X1500, DN-X1600, DN- 1700 etc.

The more cost effective mixers such as DN-X120/300 battle mixers etc had just a basic talk over toggle switch on the mic eg: mic off/mic on/talk over Purely due to the price point and likelihood of mic use.

djdj
12-01-2012, 11:58 AM
The feature on the MC6000 is crap, along with the Mic inputs in general.
Pity I love this mixer but the Mics just let it down

Gary
12-01-2012, 01:01 PM
The feature on the MC6000 is crap, along with the Mic inputs in general.
Pity I love this mixer but the Mics just let it down

Try the firmware update then. Besides myself, I've already spoken to 2 other MC6000 users who have said that now (since the update yesterday) that the mic usage is now "perfect" for them. That's the benefit of updates.

Alchemy
12-01-2012, 02:37 PM

I would just like an assignable button so that you could adjust the talk-over level and just press when you wanted to talk, why is that soooooo difficult?

Mark Wild
12-01-2012, 02:51 PM
I would just like an assignable button so that you could adjust the talk-over level and just press when you wanted to talk, why is that soooooo difficult?

Is there really much difference between that and just using the fader? I've never used the 'Duck' feature on anything before as it's never really as responsive as I'd like it to be.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Is there really much difference between that and just using the fader? I've never used the 'Duck' feature on anything before as it's never really as responsive as I'd like it to be.

Me neither. I find it just as easy to use the fader.

Alchemy
12-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Only in as much that it would be accurate every time and single handed (I normally rest a finger on the crossfader and use it as a stop)

Gary
12-01-2012, 03:35 PM
As well as the consistency of ducking versus manual fader yo-yo'ing the other thing is that the ducking on the MC 6000 and some other units is that the ducking is automatic - you can be out in the audience with a radio mic for example, and the mixer dips/ducks the music for you as you talk, and returns the music quickly up to normal, when you stop talking - without you touching the mixer.

Mark Wild
12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
As well as the consistency of ducking versus manual fader yo-yo'ing the other thing is that the ducking on the MC 6000 and some other units is that the ducking is automatic - you can be out in the audience with a radio mic for example, and the mixer dips/ducks the music for you as you talk, and returns the music quickly up to normal, when you stop talking - without you touching the mixer.

I'm aware of the uses of a ducking feature and what it does, just in my personal experience it's rubbish. There's no need to fill every tiny bit of silence with music in most 'compere' situations anyway. If I had to walk into an audience with a radio mic I'd fill the gaps with idle chat relating to the reason I was in the audience in the first place

Excalibur
12-01-2012, 05:03 PM
. If I had to walk into an audience with a radio mic I'd fill the gaps with idle chat relating to the reason I was in the audience in the first place

Idle chat? :confused: Idle chat! :eek: :eek: Idle chat. :( :( :(

" Apposite, informative, relevant and entertaining banter" if you please. ;) Otherwise, you'll be getting those of us who still use a microphone a bad name. :Naughty:

welby
12-01-2012, 06:20 PM
The Dennon MC6000 in my humble opinion is a great bit of kit - with the exception of the ducking feature - Dennon have promised to fix (check the Dennon Forums) it but so far they have failed to live up to the promise. Like the other's are saying I use the volume slider also.

Would be nice to have it fixed though, but I put up with it.

Corabar Entertainment
12-01-2012, 06:30 PM
The Dennon MC6000 in my humble opinion is a great bit of kit - with the exception of the ducking feature - Dennon have promised to fix (check the Dennon Forums) it but so far they have failed to live up to the promise. Like the other's are saying I use the volume slider also.

Did you miss the thread linked to below, or are you saying you've tried it and it doesn't work?

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36544

Gary
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM

It got fixed for everyone yesterday, as promised.

Excalibur
12-01-2012, 08:06 PM
It got fixed for everyone yesterday, as promised.

Fix the fader layout problem, and I'll buy one, in that case. ;)

djdj
13-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Try the firmware update then. Besides myself, I've already spoken to 2 other MC6000 users who have said that now (since the update yesterday) that the mic usage is now "perfect" for them. That's the benefit of updates.

Will do
Thanks for the info
I did email denon some time ago with my thought so if they have a cure fab! :beer1:

welby
13-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Did you miss the thread linked to below, or are you saying you've tried it and it doesn't work?

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36544

Sorry Missed that one - downloaded and ready to load. - thank you

Corabar Entertainment
13-01-2012, 04:15 PM
:thumbsup:

welby
23-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

loaded new firmware and ducking feature is fixed! yeah!