PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve - How much should I charge???

DiscoMagic
26-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Ok so here is my quandry...

When I started mobile djing 6 years ago my charges were somewhat in line with my setup and mobile experience in that I was charging £100 - £150. Back then I charged £300 for news years eve. My clients back then were WMC's and birthday parties "down the local" etc type gigs.

Since then my equipment and experience has come on in leaps and bounds and especially over the last 18 months, in which time my clientele has become more "upmarket" with weddings, golf club and hotel type functions. and my standard charge is now £350 for a weekend gig.

For the last two years I have done NYE at a golf club with limited funds for social events, and so I went out at £400. To be fair I they booked me 12 months in advance and so I somewhat felt obligated to look after them.

This year however, they have not booked me and I have today received an enquiry for a very upmarket Golf Club for NYE which I received through a reccomendation. The club has already booked a singing duo for the early part of the evening and I will only be required to play betwen 10.30 and 1am.

The question I have is I don't know what to charge?!?!?!!!! :confused: :confused:

My first reaction is the previous years £400 seems insigificant compared to my normal £350, so perhaps double it ... £700, but is that too cheeky? The South East of England is always more expensive than say up north, or down in devon etc etc.

But I really don't know - what do you guys think, what do you charge and what do you think is acceptable?

Many thanks :D

Larry B Entertainment
26-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Theres loads of threads on here already about NYE pricing.

Charlie Brown
26-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I charge £200 more than my standard four hour wedding fee.

hammy
26-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Charge what you feel you are worth on a very merry and happy night, Im in a upmarket wmc (is there such a thing) and charged £600 for 5 hours

Shakermaker Promotions
26-08-2011, 11:33 AM
As said already, there are loads of threads on this but...for what it's worth mate.... Look at it like this - If you know the venue, call them up and arrange to go and see them. Try and get yourself in there. For example: You could maybe strike a deal with them where you charge a good fee (remember, they have a band already which they are probably paying top dollar for) and say that you have discounted the price with the idea of maybe more work in the future? Find out if they have a resident (possibly not if they are looking for someone for NYE?) and if not, put yourself forward.

For the past 5 years I have done Christmas Eve and NYE at my local. They give me work all year round and recommend me from which I have had many well paid private jobs so I go out cheaper than I would anywhere else. It's my way of giving something back to them. Don't forget, venues have to pay staff double time etc so it takes a lot of drinking to get their costs covered first of all.

If I wasn't booked there then it would be different. Last year I had 2 enquiries for NYE and I quoted double my usual price for them and they both wanted to go for it. I hadn't had my usual booking confirmed at the time and that's why I quoted for them. So, as a rule I would say simply...double your fee.

yourdj
26-08-2011, 05:29 PM
is that too cheeky?

Never - its a business and its the only day of the year you can be guaranteed work.

You dont see Ryan Air reducing thier prices on a summer bank holiday when all the kids are off now do you ;)

Takeiteasy
26-09-2011, 07:32 PM
£5k +

Charlie Brown
26-09-2011, 07:38 PM
£5k +

Because that's helpful....

Shakermaker Promotions
27-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Charlie, do you know what Takeiteasy does?
Take a look on their site before being sarcastic.

Charlie Brown
27-09-2011, 08:35 AM

I know what he does and it's brilliant but we're talking about the typical jock at a masonic NYE doo or working mans club etc etc. :)

funkymook
27-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Gary - the thread asks for advice on 'how much should I charge?' not 'what do you charge?' - therefore £5k+ is hardly a helpful or sensible reply (it's just willy waving).

Charlie - sometimes it's better not to comment on those types of posts (and that goes for everyone, not just Charlie).

Both of you - you've been told not to snipe at each other so back on topic please.

DiscoMagic
27-09-2011, 08:57 AM
For the record, I went in at £575 for the night - and it was accepted :D
Big Grin!!!!

So I have a nice easy night, listening to live music eating good food and DJing for only 2 half hours ... Happy Days :)

Prosoundz
24-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I recently quoted for 15 disco dates at a local pub through December, and this did not include the NYE party
I was stunned to be told that the Landlord would not contemplate paying more than £130 per night, and then have the NYE disco thrown in for free.
His last DJ who can't do it any more must have been mugged for years at these prices !
Anybody have any comments on this

Corabar Entertainment
24-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I recently quoted for 15 disco dates at a local pub through December, and this did not include the NYE party
I was stunned to be told that the Landlord would not contemplate paying more than £130 per night, and then have the NYE disco thrown in for free.
His last DJ who can't do it any more must have been mugged for years at these prices !
Anybody have any comments on thisHi there. Please have a read here: http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11711

We look forward to reading your newbie thread. :)

DiscoPromotions
24-10-2011, 06:10 PM
We are back the same venue for last few, and increased the price to by 50 quid (sorry in Jamaica at the moment on american keyboard,no pound sign)

We like the venue as it is a triple bonus for us

1. We are out working
2. We are with our families
3. It is local.

If we were going to be anywhere else it would be 650.00 minimum charge.

diydisco
06-11-2011, 04:57 PM
NYE is a tricky one, ive offered a cheap show to my local pub (£400) because its literally 2 minutes from my house, they said i can have a couple drinks, the girlfriend can bring the kids and ill know plenty of people there

all other enquiries are between 500 and 600 and we currently have 2 booked in at these prices, again both standard pubs