PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Rights

Dynamic Entertainment
02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Came across this when speaking with Consumer Direct regarding a matter with the day job..

Is everyone aware that when they make a purchase using their debit card they waive most of their legal consumer rights....which doesn't happen with a credit card....

New one on me but its straight from the advisors mouth....

Corabar Entertainment
02-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Such as what? :confused:

Pe7e
02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Not quite true, you have the same consumer rights as if you had paid cash, what you don't have is some of the benefits provided by the credit card companies themselves, ie fraud protection, the ability to claim of your c/c company in case of bankrupcy etc etc When using a creditcard you are essentially buying through a third party who you have a claim against if the supplier is in dificulty.

Corabar Entertainment
02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Now that I was aware of, but always thought that was the protection offered by credit card companies, as opposed to being consumer 'rights', so to speak (which is more or less what I think you're saying).

Megamix
02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I try and use a Credit card for purchases over £100 for this reason - particularly if I feel the supplier is maybe just a little suspect or likely to go broke!

Dynamic Entertainment
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Now im infront of a computer...

This was a conversation I had with Consumer Direct regarding some equipment that my boss bought which he has had no end of problems with.

The advisor asked how the purchase had been made and i replied saying debit card. His exact words...word for word were:

Never make any purchases using a debit card as you have no consumer rights when you do so. If you have to use a debit card, at least pay a deposit with a credit card because then you are covered for the total ammount payed

Now, i didnt enquire further because it was a moot point on what we were talking about....but the way he said it didnt come across as being a credit card companys protection...

wensleydale
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM
I dont mean to be rude but I think this is rubbish- however it depends what you mean by "consumer rights".

Paying by debit card doesnt give you any less- it's just that credit card enhances the rights you have.

paulg
04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd treat advice from consumer direct with some caution. I've used them recently when I had problems with musicjunkee in Sheffield. After speaking to a solicitor, it transpired that I had more rights than consumer direct suggested.

CRAZY K
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
I'd treat advice from consumer direct with some caution. I've used them recently when I had problems with musicjunkee in Sheffield. After speaking to a solicitor, it transpired that I had more rights than consumer direct suggested.

It certainly errs on the side of caution.

I have a current dispute and their stock phrase is--we cantn say=== only a judge can decide.

Lets face it---all we want is some kind of idea as to whether we have a credible case or not.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-09-2011, 10:10 PM
It certainly errs on the side of caution.

I have a current dispute and their stock phrase is--we cantn say=== only a judge can decide.

Lets face it---all we want is some kind of idea as to whether we have a credible case or not.

Funnily enough...that same phrase cropped up a few times in my conversations...

Definately take what they say with a pinch of salt.