PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Threads - Unlimited edit?

Cowlinn
07-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't know if this is possible, but could we have no time limit on editing threads in the For Sale section? Purely so we can add if an item has been sold etc.

Just a thought?

Thanks.

:)

yourdj
08-09-2011, 12:02 AM
I think thats a good idea. :)

Only cos you sold me a drum kit last week. :D

Cowlinn
08-09-2011, 12:06 AM
I think thats a good idea. :)

Only cos you sold me a drum kit last week. :D

:D

How is that by they way? Having fun with it?

I hope you're looking after it :D

Excalibur
08-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't know if this is possible, but could we have no time limit on editing threads in the For Sale section? Purely so we can add if an item has been sold etc.

Just a thought?

Thanks.

:)

And one with a good argument to recommend it. As it stands, the Mods can and do add the prefix [SOLD] as and when we see items go, but whether your suggestion is a good one may depend on whether different permissions can be implemented in one section only.

I shall put it forward for discussion.

ppentertainments
08-09-2011, 08:28 AM
And one with a good argument to recommend it. As it stands, the Mods can and do add the prefix [SOLD] as and when we see items go, but whether your suggestion is a good one may depend on whether different permissions can be implemented in one section only.

I shall put it forward for discussion.
You sound all important there Peter :D :D :D

Excalibur
08-09-2011, 08:53 AM
You sound all important there Peter :D :D :D

Appearances can be deceptive. :( In reality, I've still only ascended to the dizzy heights of "Teaboy". :o :o :( :( :( :( :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't really think it's necessary. When people sell an item all they have to do is put sold in the thread and thena mod will change it and move the thread to sold items.

Even if we give people the ability to edit posts, they wouldn't be able to edit the thread or move the thread either.

Corabar Entertainment
08-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Even if it's possible, it's not something I would want to see.

We keep the thread even after an item is sold (moved to the 'Sold section) so that there is a record for both the seller an buyer of what was offered / purchased, and any information given.

If permanent editing was allowed, it would open a crack in the system in that an unscrupulous seller could alter the description (eg add the words "not working" or anything else), or the buyer could alter their offer so that it appeared a lower offer was accepted. I know that these are extreme circumstances, and it is highly unlikely that anyone on here would do such a thing, but the point is, there would be no way of proving what was amended, and so could lead to more misunderstandings / disagreements, etc.

For everyone's protection, it's better left with the system we currently have.

Shaun
08-09-2011, 09:55 AM

We keep the thread even after an item is sold (moved to the 'Sold section) so that there is a record for both the seller an buyer of what was offered / purchased, and any information given.

If permanent editing was allowed, it would open a crack in the system in that an unscrupulous seller could alter the description (eg add the words "not working" or anything else), or the buyer could alter their offer so that it appeared a lower offer was accepted. I know that these are extreme circumstances, and it is highly unlikely that anyone on here would do such a thing, but the point is, there would be no way of proving what was amended, and so could lead to more misunderstandings / disagreements, etc.

Completely agree.

Cowlinn
08-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't really think it's necessary. When people sell an item all they have to do is put sold in the thread and thena mod will change it and move the thread to sold items.

Even if we give people the ability to edit posts, they wouldn't be able to edit the thread or move the thread either.

I meant in particular when selling multiple items so one could add what has sold/what is still available without having to add new posts, would just look cleaner.

Completely agree.

Fair enough, was just a thought. :beer1:

Shaun
08-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I meant in particular when selling multiple items so one could add what has sold/what is still available without having to add new posts, would just look cleaner.

The time limit on editing was originally brought in for specific security reasons. It was an unfortunate knock-on effect from unscrupulous members actions.

As it currently stands the moderators do try to place a [ SOLD ] notification to the first post whenever the original poster states in the thread that an item has sold. Although doing so can be time consuming for the moderators, we think it's fair balance between leaving the security we have in place intact and helping the members keep their first post in the For Sale section up to date.

:beer1: