PDA

View Full Version : Best music for 8 year old party

nrg
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey guys,

We're new around here but have been browsing these forums for a long time before signing up.

We have a gig soon which is an 8 year old birthday party. Its a joint party boy&girl birthdays.

Can anyone recommend what music is best to play for these kids? The parent who made the booking just said latest chart music which is fine, but I'm wondering what else goes down well :)

Many thanks!!

Dan & Adam.

Cowlinn
08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Latest chart stuff. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

Some of the slightly older charts eg.. Dynamite - Taio Cruz

Will you be supplying games too?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Kids of that age will generally like 'party dances' like cha cha slide, macarena and Y.M.C.A. too.

hammy
08-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Agree with Darren on that, They will also ask for all the music like ndubz etc to look good to their friends even though most have never heard it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Agree with Darren on that, They will also ask for all the music like ndubz etc to look good to their friends even though most have never heard it.

Actually, I'll disagree with that - I played a lot of N-Dubz at the school discos I did in the summer and they went mad for it, singing along etc

WWDJ
08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I do some 12-13 year old parties and basically it is chart music, current top 40

I also did a 4 year old party disco (not games) recently from which is this a selection.

Just Dance Lady GaGa
Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) Katy Perry
Jump (For My Love) Girls Aloud
Just Can't Get Enough The Saturdays
Asereje Las Ketchup
Baby Justin Bieber
The Fast Food Song The Fast Food Rockers
Who Let The Dogs Out Baha Men
We're All in This Together High School Musical Cast
Glad You Came The Wanted
Waka Waka (This Time For Africa) (The Official 2010 Fifa World Cup (Tm) Song) Shakira featuring Freshlyground
Mr. Saxobeat (UK Extended Mix) Alexandra Stan
Show Me the Way to Amarillo Tony Christie
Hey Baby DJ Otzi
Cotton Eyed Joe Rednex
5, 6, 7, 8 Steps
Axel F Crazy Frog
Reach S Club 7
Mickey Toni Basil
I Am The Music Man Black Lace
I'm Gonna be (500 Miles) The Proclaimers
Forget You Cee Lo Green
Hokey Cokey Black Lace
Three Lions Baddiel,Skinner,Lightning Seeds

You could also try Rebecca Black, The Saturdays, Miley Cyrus

DJForrest
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi,

We have done a quite a few childrens parties and the majority of the children tend to request the chart stuff. Obviously, we are careful to get clean / radio edits of the songs though :)

nrg
11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the great replies!! We had some issues at the start getting the children going, they didn't respond to anything we said over the mic. Eventually with a few games and prizes up for grabs they started dancing and having a good time :)

axeman
14-09-2011, 10:38 AM
i tend to play the latest teen charts sensations, mixed with activity dances and games..

justin beiber, black eyed peas, saturdays, etc ... but like darren mentioned cha cha slide type songs i'e cotton eyed joe, 5678, superman, music man, hokey cokey.

games like musical bumps, statues, chairs, etc and ask host to provide a few giveaways for best dancer, or costume (if they are dressed up) or anything else you can think up.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-09-2011, 10:59 AM
but like darren mentioned cha cha slide type songs i'e cotton eyed joe, 5678, superman, music man, hokey cokey.

Sorry to disagree, but I wouldn't play Black Lace for this age group. :)

WWDJ
14-09-2011, 11:02 AM

What!!! ... not even the Hokey Cokey :eek: :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-09-2011, 11:17 AM
What!!! ... not even the Hokey Cokey :eek: :eek:

OK, perhaps it depends on the kids, but I would ask for sure.

Some might like them played, but others might be very embarrassed!

WWDJ
14-09-2011, 11:25 AM
OK, perhaps it depends on the kids, but I would ask for sure.

Some might like them played, but others might be very embarrassed!

It was tongue in cheek :D

As above I did a 4 year olds disco party (impromptu ... i was only supposed to be supplying my friend the equipment, but he was too scared to use the darn microphone).... and I played the hokey cokey at the end, got the parents involved etc. I don't do kids parties but it must have been ok because people were asking about their own kids parties.

To be fair I wouldn't play the hokey cokey at an 8 year olds party if the couple of 8 years olds that I know were there they'd rather be rocking out to Party Rock Anthem etc.

DJ Paulie
14-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Quick post from me as on iPhone ! GLEE (did I say that out loud ?!)

axeman
14-09-2011, 06:39 PM
each to their own darren - i find superman especially goes down very well with this age group, especially if the kids might win a prize for the best superman - maybe your missing a trick.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-09-2011, 08:11 PM
each to their own darren - i find superman especially goes down very well with this age group, especially if the kids might win a prize for the best superman - maybe your missing a trick.

I don't do kids parties as such, but do a few school discos during the year and they definitely wouldn't want them...;)

Kernow
15-09-2011, 01:34 PM

So if you announce N'Dubz and then play DJ Otzi they're none the wiser ?;)
However be careful in your choice, they are fully aware of the legend behind "Big Fish, Little Fish" :o :D

partyprincesz
22-11-2012, 09:30 AM
One song for sure to be liked by all kids in party Baby baby ohh by Justin Beiber. Another options is to get one or two party entertainer or singer kids love this.

Corabar Entertainment
22-11-2012, 11:16 AM
One song for sure to be liked by all kids in party Baby baby ohh by Justin Beiber. Another options is to get one or two party entertainer or singer kids love this.I think you'll find things a little different in the UK: Beiber appears more on our 'Do Not Play' lists than it does on the request list!

Just another thing, Have a read here:-
Are you new to the forum?. Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the members in this forum section by Clicking Here (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=32). We've found that our members are usually more forthcoming with their help and advice when new members have taking the time to say hello and tell a little about themselves. So, jump right on in. Welcome to the MDD forum!

A new members first post is moderated, which means your posts won't be visible until it is approved by a moderator.

And finally, Please also take a moment to fill in your profile, which is a requirement of the Mobile Disco Directory Forum. This can be done via the User CP settings at the top left hand side of the forum - alternatively you can fast-track to the options by Clicking Here (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/profile.php?do=editprofile). Thanks.We look forward to reading your intro!

safdiscos
23-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I did a party for 30+ eight year olds last weekend, firstly as mentioned before, I got told NO Justin Bieber... which suited me fine :)
However they just werent into the pop/chart stuff at all, so in a panic i put on my Black lace CD, they LOVED it the party went brilliantly and I got two bookings from it, dont write off the black lace just yet :D

TONYTIGER
23-11-2012, 10:09 PM
20% music 80% games works every time get your games current strictly goes down a bomb.

Corabar Entertainment
23-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Strictly? :confused:

TONYTIGER
23-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Strictly? :confused:

Just a rather popular dancing show that is attracting 9 million viewers on Saturday nights BBC 1.Oh and another useless piece of information just been voted best effect lighting award for TV

Corabar Entertainment
23-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Yes - well aware of the TV show, Tony... but how does that relate to a game for 8 year olds?

TONYTIGER
23-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Yes - well aware of the TV show, Tony... but how does that relate to a game for 8 year olds?

Yes yes yes they love it they know all the judges, dancers, and all the technical terms i have a panel of judges all the kids cant wait to find a partner even boys with boys they all have numbers then the panel rip them apart with all the usual comments "your heal turns were lousy dear" and such like great fun.The worst thing you can do at kids party's is treat them like kids.Try musical chairs without chairs,pass the parcel without a parcel,all tricks learnt being children s entertainer for a season
at a well known holiday park when i was the resident dj in the evening.

Corabar Entertainment
23-11-2012, 11:13 PM
OK - that's clearer now. Thanks.

DazzyD
23-11-2012, 11:29 PM

Try musical chairs without chairs,pass the parcel without a parcel,

:confused: Have you been at the fire water, Tony??? ;)

STEVE HANLEY
24-11-2012, 01:57 AM

:lol:

TONYTIGER
24-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Sadly not been teetotal all my life,but i was serious but if you want to know how its done pm me not that i think you would do kids party's.:)my favorite gigs but then again i am a gran dad.

Ollie80
17-01-2013, 03:19 PM

I dont DJ anymore, I will get back into it one day!!

BUT.. My kids had a Halloween party last year, we had it at our house. I ran all the music of Spotify - chart stuff etc. We had games too. When I ran out of ideas, I DID play Superman and evne done the Conga ( all Black Lace ) they loved it. As long as you do the actions with them and YOU lead them they will follow!

You even score points with the mums too!! :p

SoundONE
17-01-2013, 04:51 PM
TONYTIGER is spot on with the strictly, weve been doing that for a while now, even better though Tony is you can buy the strictly face masks and make the judges were them, the kids love it.