PDA

View Full Version : A DJ's Guide to DMX Lighting

DMX Will
20-09-2006, 10:48 PM
By the way... This article is a) not copied from anywhere else and is written by myself (Will Perkins of Virtual Sights). b) This article is not to be copied from this web site or any other I might choose to display it on without prior concent of myself. You can contact me via email (see www.virtualsights.co.uk for info). Anyone found copying this article will have legal action taken upon them. Thank you.

http://banners.copyscape.com/images/cs-gr-234x16.gif (http://www.copyscape.com)

Due to popular demand....

DMX is a control protocol (built up from the old AMX) used in theatres and other venues where lighting control is essential, as you may have noticed, its widely spread these days into mobile discos and even controlling standard lights in bigger function rooms and venues. The way DMX work is as follows....

You have a controller (or lighting desk) that can control up to 512 channels (hence the long name DMX 512). This controller is then connected to your lights (or "fixtures" as they are more wildely refered to) in a daisy chain-like way.

You have two types of light:
- Generic Lanterns
These are bog-standard normal lights that are dimmable (standard theatrical lanterns) which also include Par Cans and pin spots you sometimes see on roadshows. To be controlled via DMX these lanterns must be plugged into either a DMX dimmer, or switchpack.
- Fixtures
These are the DMX lights (or dimmers/switchpacks - basically anything that reacts to a dmx signal) that react in accordance to the DMX level the channels they are selected to "listen to". Many fixtures have more than one channel. If you take for example a moving head it may have 5 channels:

- Pan (Ch1)
- Tilt (Ch2)
- Colour (Ch3)
- Gobo (Ch4)
- Dimmer (Ch5)

So a different channel on your desk controls each of those parameters. (examples in brackets above). In order to get the lights to do what you want, you first of all have to address them, which involves "setting their addresses", you do this by setting the first channel number on each fixture (done by the means of dipswitches or a screen).

Once you have set the first channel number on the fixture the channels the fixture then reacts to would be as follows

(if you set the first channel to be 17)

- Pan (Ch17)
- Tilt (Ch18)
- Colour (Ch19)
- Gobo (Ch20)
- Dimmer (Ch21)

You are then able to control each function through the fader on the desk.

I'm afraid the above probably doesn't make much sense, please question me in a reply if anything isnt clear. But I'll carry on....

Connecting up your gear.... DMX is connected using both 3 pin and 5 pin XLRs, fixtures use 3 pin, and so will the desk you choose, so the cables are nice and cheap. You run from the DMX out socket on your desk to your first fixture (in socket) then from the "out" socket on the same fixture you run the next cable to the next fixture's "in" socket, and so on and so forth until you get to the last fixture (which unless you are using a terminator, shouldn't have anything plugged into it's "out" socket).

You can address two or more fixtures to the same channels, however they will both do the same thing (providing they are an identical fixture) which can sometimes be helpful.

You then need to programme your lighting desk/controller so the lights keep doing stuff, i recommend you setup 6 chases like this:

3x Fast chases for high BPM songs/sessions
1x Intro/Chilling/Quiet no dancing (very slow moving beams etc)
1x Slow dance chase (slow moving, pinks, blues etc)
and
1x very fast, for dance tracks etc.

Most desks allow you to swap between chases very easily and quickly providing your programme well, if you need help on that side let me know when you come to using a controller.

Which Lights/Fixtures To Buy?

As always i recommend:

- Acme Winners (Scanner)
- Acme Rovers (Barrel)
- Acme Pumas (Moonflower style)
- Acme Falcons (Moonflower style)
- NJD Datamoons (Moonflower style)

I also highly recommend the Stairville DMX Master (a cheaper re-brand of the Chauvet DMX-55 I have previously recommended to DJs), as it has everything your going to need, and I swear by it for the smaller discos we do :) -
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm

If you need further information regarding DMX lighting systems, I'm just A PM away :)

By the way... This article is a) not copied from anywhere else and is written by myself (Will Perkins of Virtual Sights). b) This article is not to be copied from this web site or any other I might choose to display it on without prior concent of myself. You can contact me via email (see www.virtualsights.co.uk for info). Anyone found copying this article will have legal action taken upon them. Thank you.

http://banners.copyscape.com/images/cs-gr-234x16.gif (http://www.copyscape.com)

Shaun
20-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Topic pinned.

Thanks Will, very informative and should prove to an extremely useful guide to our members.

Have a disco
21-09-2006, 12:30 AM
yes very interesting will remember this for the future

Gaz
01-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Thanks. I'll study this page later. Here's what I was going to ask Click Here (http://djgaz.proboards16.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Wants&thread=1162340351&page=1)

So could I controll my 4 Abstract Twister II's (http://djgaz.proboards16.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Hardware&thread=1162344667) and my two Moving Head Lights (http://djgaz.proboards16.com/index.cgi?board=Hardware&action=display&thread=1157972737) with this controller ?

DMX-50 (http://www.chauvetlighting.com/system/fixtures/dmx50.html)

What about when I get a couple more strobe lights?

scoopd
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Will-Happy New Year first of all!
I was just wondering if I can get my Acme Barrel Rovers(4) to do different colours using my basic controller and the dip switch configuration?

DMX Will
02-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Scoopd,

Which controller are you using? You can do this providing your controller will allow it. The lights are more than capable.

Happy New Year!

Will.

scoopd
03-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Will,
It's the ACME CA-8 http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/lighting_control/ca8

Thanks.
It just seems pretty pointless having 4 great lights all doing the same thing?

DMX Will
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
A CA-8 controller is not a DMX controller im afraid. It's simply a controller that the Acme and iSolution lights allow to keep in sync with each other and thus does not support the lights doing different things. If you want your lights to do different things etc, you will need to purchase a proper dmx controller such as the Chauvet DMX-50 (I reccommend)

pulsemobiledisco
03-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Will-Happy New Year first of all!
I was just wondering if I can get my Acme Barrel Rovers(4) to do different colours using my basic controller and the dip switch configuration?

Have you tried setting dip switch 10 to on on all but the master unit, this may give you the effect you are looking for.

Sam

scoopd
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
No but I will give that a shot.I have checked the price of the Chauvet and it comes in at £195 is it worth it for just 4 Barrel Rovers?

soundscapes
03-01-2007, 10:24 PM
only change dip 10 on units which you want to do a different thing to the master unit as it creates an inversion ( barrells will spin/pan in opposite direction and colours will be different ) if you are running 4 heads i would turn on dip 10 on heads 2 and 4

DMX Will
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
No but I will give that a shot.I have checked the price of the Chauvet and it comes in at £195 is it worth it for just 4 Barrel Rovers?

Only you can answer that. Most of your punters probably wouldn't notice the difference. It's basically do you want your show to be that bit more customisable for your needs and your expectations of your rig

scoopd
23-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Will,
Can you tell me what the Chauvet DMX-50 can offer me comapred to the Acme DMX Master for my Acme Barrel Rover lights

Thanks

Scoopd

Harrison's Discos
23-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Some very good info will. Well as i am now working in a theatre i would know about these things you see :D ;) (well not all that Will stated :) )

The thing really is to ask and you find out!...............:doh:

DMX Will
26-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Some very good info will. Well as i am now working in a theatre i would know about these things you see :D ;) (well not all that Will stated :) )

The thing really is to ask and you find out!...............:doh:

What? Am I right in thinking that is a School/College's Theatre?

Harrison's Discos
26-01-2007, 02:42 PM
What? Am I right in thinking that is a School/College's Theatre?

It is in a college but the money is seperate and does not nessasarily come out of the colleges' budget. Most of the bulding work and maintanace is provided by the college. Equipment e.g. lighting, speakers come out of the Miskins own budget. ;)

DMX Will
26-01-2007, 02:55 PM
It is in a college but the money is seperate and does not nessasarily come out of the colleges' budget. Most of the bulding work and maintanace is provided by the college. Equipment e.g. lighting, speakers come out of the Miskins own budget. ;)

So what does your job involve, do you have a title? Who are you working with? :rolleyes:

bluishbob
16-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey,
Just a thought,
If i had 4 DMX scanners and a bank of Par cans on a dimmer, could i run them off the same desk?

chips
16-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Hi,

So a DMX light will react/move the way you programmed it,but is there a way to get them to react to the music like sound to light does but with the settings you have programmed.Or everytime the music rhythm changes you have to manually change the speed setting?

So how ive read the first post the lights dont exactly move to the rhythm of the music but do move the way you have programmed them?

Cheers..

Chips.

DMX Will
17-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey,
Just a thought,
If i had 4 DMX scanners and a bank of Par cans on a dimmer, could i run them off the same desk?

Yes, providing the desk will support that many channels. I use a dimmer rack at most discos along with scanners etc. No problems should be inccoured if the desk will handle however many DMX channels all the fixtures + the dimmer add up to :)

DMX Will
17-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Hi,

So a DMX light will react/move the way you programmed it,but is there a way to get them to react to the music like sound to light does but with the settings you have programmed.Or everytime the music rhythm changes you have to manually change the speed setting?

So how ive read the first post the lights dont exactly move to the rhythm of the music but do move the way you have programmed them?

Cheers..

Chips.

Most lights designed for the DJ market will do both (if they do DMX). Most DJ-targeted (and others) DMX desks can react to the music if you choose, the desk will then send the signals to the lights to the beat of the music (the lights would do whatever you had programmed and were then "playing" back)

See the PM I sent you for the more specific details to the Dyanmos.

However these lights will do both DMX and sound to light:

- Acme Dyanmos
- Acme DynaTwins
- Acme Winner/Rover
- Complete "Mojo" range from "Geni"
- Acme Scimitar/Leo
- All of the Acme iSolution range
- Acme Knight/Queen/Fantasy moving heads

chips
17-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the info:thumbs_up:

Thats put my mind to rest now:)

Cheers..

Chips.

Light_Worker
19-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I think I'm really thick coz I still don't get it - oh well la de da

DMX Will
20-02-2007, 01:09 AM
I think I'm really thick coz I still don't get it - oh well la de da

lol, DMX is something no one understands first time round, if you read it again, and other articles across the internet, it'll slowly make sense. The real test comes when you try it out for yourself the first time.

Let me know if you need any help :)

Will.

chips
20-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Ah DMX

Its does the same as sound to light in which the way the lights move to the rhythm/beat,but you program/control the patterns/movements/colours but they still move to the rhythm.

As to the settings on the switches..say its 4 channel DMX lights then every extra light you connect you count 4 because of the channels 4 in this case and the next number after you count 4 is the new light.

So if you were talking pints of beer on a tray:beer1:

Its your round theres you and 3 mates sat at the table,4 of you in total.

You got up and get 4 pints in all:beer1: (DMX 4 channel) on a tray,the tray is the light.You bought the round so your number 1.

You all drink up:beer1:

Round two say its Jims round.Jim goes up to the bar with the tray and buys another round.So round two is Jims (light No2).Jim buys the drinks 4 pints:beer1: on one tray (4 Channel dmx).

So far 8 pints drank:beer1: between you all.

2 Mates have bought a round 2 have not,we all follow that bit dont we:D

So I bought a round 4 drinks...i was the first round 1 tray of drinks.
Jim bought round 2 of drinks..4 pints..

Light No1 (round 1) =4

Light No2 Jims round his 1st (round 2) =5

Tom buys round 3:beer1: 1 Tray with 4 pints=9

Another round 4 pints:beer1: ..so you got 13 in totol now.

Normally im always one of the ones buying the round,then before everyones bought a round theres some excuse to go and im a pint down:D

So the next light number would be 13 (another 4 pints)

It took me a while to work it all out but if you think of it as rounds of drink,say its 5 channel DMX then its 5 pints to buy;)

Hope thats explained it.

Cheers..

Chips.

BeerFunk
20-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Chips, after all those pints, I'm surprised you even worked out how to switch the lights on!! :D

Corabar Entertainment
21-02-2007, 12:26 AM
PMSL! :lol:

Light_Worker
21-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Errr... okay - I'll have to nod and smile and look like I actually understand the mathematics behind that example...

I would have thought it would total 16 if each light counts as four - 4,8,12,16.

How many Acme Party Scanners can you link in one go? Can I split them into two groups? Say 2 on the right doing one show, and two on the left doing something slightly different?

Can I also stick other Acme lights that take DMX with them, or is that something only the really expensive lights do?

E.G. I would like to also buy a couple of Super Leos and maybe a couple of Rovers or Scimitars. Can all of these lights link up together? Or would I have to have 3 - 4 seperate light shows going on?

chips
21-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Chips, after all those pints, I'm surprised you even worked out how to switch the lights on!! :D

:lol:

Light_Worker just add 1+ your 4 each time to your maths and it works out.

Another Question from me:rolleyes:

I need to buy a longer DMX cable,the one in the link below looks like a DMX cable but is called a Balanced Microphone cable..is it/will it work as a DMX cable for my lights.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36083&criteria=leads&doy=21m2

Maplins are just down the road from me and i buy the lead in the link if it will work.

I dont want to order by post from the place i bought the DMX lights because the price a posting is around the same price as the DMX lead.

Many Thanks if someone can give me a answer.

Chips.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Yup, it should work - I use them sometimes.

chips
22-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi,

I went down to maplins tonight and explained they looked the same.Like you say they are the same just they call them another name.All sorted out now.Thanks for the reply:)

Paul James Promotions
22-02-2007, 10:58 PM
You can sometimes get away with using mic cable, but only with a small number of lights. Mic cable has the wrong resistance for DMX, causing flickering and communication problems on larger systems.

Jamie

DMX Will
23-02-2007, 01:00 AM
You can sometimes get away with using mic cable, but only with a small number of lights. Mic cable has the wrong resistance for DMX, causing flickering and communication problems on larger systems.

Jamie

Also, DMX Cables are sheilded which helps the data sent to reach each fixture without becoming corrupted or broken.

marcol
26-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Good morning. Can anyone help me out there. After reading the reviews on the forum, I brought the Chauvet 55 DMX. Great unit I must agree, but here is my problem. I run x2 Imove moving heads, x2 Led Pin Spots, x1 Actors Mate Magic Box 2 laser, x1 EVL K-Scope - all of them work perfectly with the DMX. My other lights are the complete Mad (Abstract) range - Spins, Moonfloers and LED Panels etc. These units are wired 2 Pin "Hot". All the other lights are standard 3 pin "Hot". Now the DMX has a switch on the back that reverses the signal and yes then the Mad lights work, but naturally the others don't. Somewhere I read that you can get a phase reversing adapator or XLR cable - and this will work???? I cannot find anywhere that sells such a cable and no company that has heard of such a thing. I have tried reversing the cables from pin 2 to pin3 three and pin 3 to pin 2 (on the unit) but then the unit has no DMX signal.

Has anyway experienced this - I simply need a way to get the Mad lights (pin 2 Hot) to work with the other lights (Pin 3 HOT)......Help please!!!

Paul James Promotions
26-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi,

You can make up a 'swap cable' with a small piece of cable, 1 x XLR plug and 1 x XLR socket, and simply swapping the 2 and 3 pins on one side only of the cable.

Then, to wire up your rig, connect from the controller to the lights that currently work from your controller, daisy chain them together. Then, use your new swap cable to connect from the last in that chain to the first light that is wired as the different polarity, then daisy chain those together.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

marcol
26-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for that jamie, so am I right in sayin that if I had a DMX cable I would simply unsolder the wires from 2 and 3 pin and swap them over, or do I push the pins out of the plug and swop them back through the alternate holes (assuming a male lead) would this not be the same as swopping the cbales inside the light as I tried this and it failed?

Many Thanks

Paul James Promotions
26-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Could you explain more about how you have altered the wiring inside the light?

You would need to alter the wiring on both the input and output connections on the first unit in the second part of the DMX chain in order for all the reversed lights to work.

marcol
26-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks jamie, what I did was unsolder the wire to pin 2 and 3 on both the in and out sockets of the light, swop them so 2 wire became attached to 3 pin and vice versa and resolder etc. Then I connected the unit directly to the DMX and terminated the output. But there was no DMX signal at all..

This is how the set up is at the moment

DMX = Led Pin spot (x2 to same address), KScope to address 17, Moving Heads (x2 to same address) address 33, Laser address 49, then the mad (abstract lights) address 65, terminate at the last light.

the only way i have got this to work with all the lights is to run the mad lights through the original "Mad Controller" as the controller also has an in and out for DMX, but it's erratic and I dont want the Mad controller as part of the set up.

Thanks for showing an interset in this, it really is driving me Mad.

Paul James Promotions
26-02-2007, 05:17 PM
You would need to reverse the pins on the input, not the output. Re-wire the light back to it's original state, make up the swap cable that I mentioned, then wire up your rig as you stated in your last post, and all should turn out well :)

marcol
27-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Jamie, A big thank you. I got the electrical shop next door to swap the wires on pin 2 and 3 on the female end of the XLR cable, plugged that into the last dasiy chain part of the batch of lights and the other end in the first abstract light, terminating at the last abstract light and bingo it did the job. I can rest at last and now program the light show.

Thanks again....

Lee
27-02-2007, 07:11 PM
just the thead i was looking for cause am staing to dmx lighing now cheers matey

DMX Will
27-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Your welcome :)

Lee
27-02-2007, 07:18 PM
whats a good controller to get

DMX Will
27-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Which Lights/Fixtures To Buy?

As always i recommend:

- Acme Winners (Scanner)
- Acme Rovers (Barrel)
- Acme Pumas (Moonflower style)
- Acme Falcons (Moonflower style)
- NJD Datamoons (Moonflower style)

I also highly recommend the DMX-50 by Chauvet, as it has everything your going to need, and I swear by it for the smaller discos we do :) - http://www.chauvetlighting.com/system/fixtures/dmx50.html

If you need further information regarding DMX lighting systems, I'm just A PM away :)

^^^^^ :)

Paul James Promotions
28-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Jamie, A big thank you. I got the electrical shop next door to swap the wires on pin 2 and 3 on the female end of the XLR cable, plugged that into the last dasiy chain part of the batch of lights and the other end in the first abstract light, terminating at the last abstract light and bingo it did the job. I can rest at last and now program the light show.

Thanks again....

You're welcome :D

DMX Will
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
As Chauvet have now discontinued the controller I recommend for DJs, here is the equivalent/replacement controller they now sell in the place of the DMX-50.

DMX-55 - http://www.chauvetlighting.com/fixtures/dmx55_fix.shtml

flatliners
21-03-2007, 12:10 AM
dmx is doing my head in why carnt manuals put it in simple terms i have 4 irock 5s hid and 2 irock 5b hid a 1500 w dmx strobe and a 100mw green laser dmx any know how to rigg them up to a botex scanmaster dmx controller if u could help i would b greatfull

Corabar Steve
21-03-2007, 12:19 AM
dmx is doing my head in why carnt manuals put it in simple terms i have 4 irock 5s hid and 2 irock 5b hid a 1500 w dmx strobe and a 100mw green laser dmx any know how to rigg them up to a botex scanmaster dmx controller if u could help i would b greatfull

Can't You Be a little more considerate to other forum users & communicate in English, NOT TXT ABREVIATIONS as you have been asked several times now by various admin staff.

DMX Will
21-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Unfortuntely the Botex website is slightly rubbish, and doesn't give me a chance to download a manual to have a read. So I am unable to help.

However, may I suggest you read through the initial post in this thread over and over until you understand the parts explained. Once you have, and have setup your rig as described in this thread, plug in the controlller, and use the fixture/scanner buttons on the left to "grab" different lights.

The fixture addressing/fixture button assignment are as per the image attached with this post. Bare in mind you will probably have a "Page Select" button that switches the faders between the first 8 channels, and the second 8 channels on each fixture. Multiple fixtures can be selected and controller (with the same values) at the same time.

Good luck.

dj-jaym
20-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Any opinions on there controllers

beleive that is a clone of this am i right

http://82.112.116.238/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=593

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dj_x_16_dmx_controller.htm

Cheers

DMX Will
20-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Any opinions on there controllers

beleive that is a clone of this am i right

http://82.112.116.238/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=593

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dj_x_16_dmx_controller.htm

Cheers

The first two are the same thing, they're also the same as the DMX-50/55 by Chauvet (which I recommend to budding DJs), the 3rd one however does not have enough channels for you to run more than 3 or 4 fixtures, so I would count it out.

The first 2 have 192 channels, the 3rd one has 16. Each DMX (DJ related) fixture on average takes up between 3 and 5 channels. You do the maths!

HTH

Tony Scott
21-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Does anyone use a pc for lighting?
I have a dedicated laptop running FREESTYLER DMX software and link this to my lights via a DMX interface (£59.00 from Maplins, kit form but easy to assemble)
I've found this to be a supurb set-up and gives me as much control as I want - very easy to use and loads of functions, cues etc.
Free download (small donation, I gave them £20.00 but not compulsory):D :D www.freestylerdmx.be/

Shaun
21-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I have a dedicated laptop running FREESTYLER DMX software and link this to my lights via a DMX interface (£59.00 from Maplins, kit form but easy to assemble)
I've found this to be a supurb set-up and gives me as much control as I want - very easy to use and loads of functions, cues etc.
Free download (small donation, I gave them £20.00 but not compulsory):D :D www.freestylerdmx.be/

I've been thinking about going down the 'freestyler' route for a while. Thanks for the feebback.

JAMdisco
01-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I have a question for you (anyone)

I was hoping not to have to use a DMX controller (can't justify the cost just yet). I am thinking of using an 8 chanel selector controller (show director) and using sound to light and just selecting between different lights (if you get my drift).

However, I have a couple of Martin Destoyers that we used in my old band.
Question is: can I get the destroyers to do the same thing if I link them with DMX cables or will they both just do random sequences?

Can't try them yet as my mate still has them in his garage and he's in London.

Shaun
01-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Both should link up fine, and simultaneously run through through the pre-set sequences on the units.

JAMdisco
01-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Can I get the Martin Destroyers to 'mirror' each other - I read somewhere that dipswitch number 16 does this???

Harrison's Discos
01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
So what does your job involve, do you have a title? Who are you working with? :rolleyes:

by the way i'm a student :p

DMX Will
02-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Both should link up fine, and simultaneously run through through the pre-set sequences on the units.

What he said.

Can I get the Martin Destroyers to 'mirror' each other - I read somewhere that dipswitch number 16 does this???

No idea, have a look at the Martin online manual. :)

Corabar Steve
02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
by the way i'm a student :p

I knew there was a reason why I don't like you :sj: :P

Harrison's Discos
13-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I knew there was a reason why I don't like you :sj: :P

:cry: how can you not like a student as capable as me :D :lol:

TOM1234
03-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi Folks

I have not used intels before and am completely sttuck trying to assign each of the 16 fixture channels to the desk channels. Any help gratefully accepted.!!!!!!!!!!

Tom:confused:

Dragonfly
18-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Evening you good gentlemen and ladies of the disco world , I have picked up my martin robocolor 2s with controller ..... this is a djs guide to dmx ........

can anyone help an idiot do something with them ? please? on the back of the controller is how to set them up to react to sound or to just work on the autimatic feature (just going through the motions im guessing)

what i would like to do if possible is to alter the speed so they go nice and slowly through the colours? if this is possible?

thanks for your patience with the forum technical numpty...

groovy-nights
18-07-2007, 09:26 PM
have a look here http://www.martinpro.co.uk/service/service.asp?dofind=yes&support=Martin

Dragonfly
18-07-2007, 09:33 PM
thanks for that found a table that tells me I can alter the colour speed fast/slow and strobe fast/slow anyone speak the lingo and tell me which switches on the units to move????? ta

groovy-nights
18-07-2007, 09:36 PM
switch 1 2 4 6 on all the others off
or 1 3 4 6 will give you colour sync sound to light

Dragonfly
18-07-2007, 09:41 PM
you sir are a gentleman :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

thanks

Candybeatdiscos
18-07-2007, 09:56 PM

Any chance of a guide as such to a noobie?

Dragonfly
18-07-2007, 10:40 PM
switch 1 2 4 6 on all the others off
or 1 3 4 6 will give you colour sync sound to light

just tried the first one ..... none of the lamps are on if i do that????

groovy-nights
18-07-2007, 11:00 PM
have you switch the unit off and back on when you changed the settings

Dragonfly
18-07-2007, 11:37 PM
have you switch the unit off and back on when you changed the settings

indeed I have I think the settings maybe for the version with 6 dipswitches ???? apparently martin thought this was a toilet idea and changed the design to 10 dipswitches which mine has.

groovy-nights
19-07-2007, 09:44 AM
try 1 2 and 10 on
or 1 2 3 10 on and see if you get anything

thex-faders
13-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi all, looking for software and controller for DMX, had a look on ebay and ive found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180156353639&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

can anyone recommend this or does it look fake??
They also sell USB to XLR for DMX controlll via laptop, but i dont have software =(

Thanks all

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Why would you think this is fake?

You can download the software for free.

thex-faders
14-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I haven't used DMX before so just wanted to make sure it was genuine.
I'm assuming that lasers will not need different software compared to normal scanners etc?

Have read the DMX manual so i know how to set up the channels etc but are lasers any different?

Cheers

Sam
17-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I haven't used DMX before so just wanted to make sure it was genuine.
I'm assuming that lasers will not need different software compared to normal scanners etc?

Have read the DMX manual so i know how to set up the channels etc but are lasers any different?

Cheers

I don't have experiences with these type of lazers (yet)... but... I had nothing better to do so i looked it up.. and i am going to say that for the lazer.. you just need a regular DMX controller.. although you can usually get more specific controllers for certain products.. which make it easier to get certain settings quicker.. but if it were me I would recomend just getting one controller as you can use it for other fixtures you may wish to get.

Anyway....
for this type of lazer here...http://www.kam.co.uk/products/lighting/prod9.htm (read the manual here: http://www.kam.co.uk/products/lighting/docs/DMX%20laser30-New%20manual.pdf

The DMX controller channels are:
CHANNEL DMX512 OPTIONS FUNCTION
1 0~63 Sound active program
64~127 Automation program
128~191 Manual and with sound active
192~255 Automation and automatic active

2 0~63 Blackout
64~127 On blanking off
128~191 Pulse
192~255 Off blanking on

3 0~255 Select patters

4 0~255 Operation gobo moving speed

5 0~63 Keep gobo to static
64~255 Gobo change to flat effect

6 0~63 Keep gobo to static
64~127 Follow the gobo form pulse to fast speed
dotting effect
128~191 Follow the gobo form pulse to middle speed
dotting effect
192~255 Follow the gobo form pulse to slow speed
dotting effect

7 0~63 Keep gobo to static
64~255 Gobo to up and down

8 0~255 Laser effect projection speed.

9 0~255 Control the gobo to zoom

10 0~255 No design available to effect

What lazer do you have / do you want?

Hope this helps

scoopd
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Does anybody know if the PC based controllers have any pre-built shows?

Sam
28-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Does anybody know if the PC based controllers have any pre-built shows?

They may do...
But they are designed to run with so many different types of light it wouldn't be practicaly IMHO to have pre-set shows for every light on the off chance it is the one you have...

They are normally easy to set up though.... if you want a moving sequance for movers with Daslight.. you can click the scene geneator button and it sorts it out for you... colours, gobos 9rate of change) and the pattern you want it to move in etc etc.
basically nice and quick :)

Quadrophenia
12-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi to all
I have just read all of the posts in this thread and i have a much better understanding of DMX thanks to you guys.Now where am i going, firstly we have just started this venture Karaoke Disco, we are pretty well sorted on the karaoke side. Our lighting is just about as basic as it could ever be we Have 4 acme supanoves with a ca-8 controller. I know the next step will be to buy more lights and a better controller, as with every thing there are budget restraints in this case no money lol we will have to rob peter to pay paul. My Partner is looking at acme miracled in the quad (4) in one hit @ aprox £480 i think maybe cheaper? or £140 seperate. I have seen the videos on youtube and they do look great, I was looking for an intrim solution of spending less maybe about £200, Is it better to spend some money on a controller now to make better use of what we have ? or spend the money on more lights and use the ca-8 (limited) controller ?

Yours Ian Heath:) :) :)

Shaun
12-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Ian,

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the 'newbies' section. Thanks.

Sam
12-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi to all
I have just read all of the posts in this thread and i have a much better understanding of DMX thanks to you guys.Now where am i going, firstly we have just started this venture Karaoke Disco, we are pretty well sorted on the karaoke side. Our lighting is just about as basic as it could ever be we Have 4 acme supanoves with a ca-8 controller. I know the next step will be to buy more lights and a better controller, as with every thing there are budget restraints in this case no money lol we will have to rob peter to pay paul. My Partner is looking at acme miracled in the quad (4) in one hit @ aprox £480 i think maybe cheaper? or £140 seperate. I have seen the videos on youtube and they do look great, I was looking for an intrim solution of spending less maybe about £200, Is it better to spend some money on a controller now to make better use of what we have ? or spend the money on more lights and use the ca-8 (limited) controller ?

Yours Ian Heath:) :) :)

Ian,
It all depends what lighting you want.
IMHO you need to sit down and think.. "what exactly do I want to achieve with the new lights..." and then you can decide if you need a controller (good easy-to-use one is the dmx master for about £85) or new lights and if so which lights.
Also remember that you can pick up deals on ebay and DJBids from time to time - I think there are two Rovers (think scanners - with a barrel) on DJbids with a starting price of £10. - - you can get some fantastic units for stupidly cheap prices..
Example: couple of years ago a bought a pilot 250 moving head for about £250.. I then asked the guy if he had another one and he gave it to me for an extra £80 ish i think.. so I have two 15 channel fantastic moving heads which normally sell for £1000 each.. all for about £330.. then spent £100 on new lamps.. and hey presto.. they work fantastically.

Anyway back to the point of the post..
before buying lighting or deciding if you should buy a controller or new lights etc you need to sit down and really think what you want - more control over current units?, More general "effects", LED Par Cans to light up the singers, Rovers for a floor filling effect etc etc.

If you wanted say a DMX Master controller and 4 LED Par Cans.. you could pick all that up for £223 (plus cabling etc.) - - Not bad!

Anyway that is my piece... sorry if it is a bit of random jumble.,. but I hope some of it helps.

EDIT TO ADD SOME LINKS:
* DMX Master Controller that a lot of us on here use: http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm

* Stairville 56 LED Par Cans: http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_56_alu_poliert.htm

* ACME Rovers on DjBids: http://www.djbids.co.uk/auctiondetails.php?itemname=2-Acme-Barrel-Rover-lights--Prolight-Flight-Case&id=427

* iSolution iMove IM8-S DMX Moving Head x 2 MSD 250 Lamps : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140223280202&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

* Generic 56 cans: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260227857943&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

***hope some of that helps - none of the items for sale are mine - just giving you an idea of what you can find out there --- buying from Ebay or DJBIDS etc is a risk - but it is often worthwhile***

Quadrophenia
14-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks Sam.
I will chat with my partner in crime over this one, I have bought off ebay before, and only 1 rip off out of 40 or so transactions.Because we are trying to do this all above board and legal we will try to buy new(PAT testing then not needed and gear covered by Manufacturing guarantee/warranty), i would be gutted to find out i received stolen stuff , I know it is unlikley but hey. I feel like a kid in a sweet shop on some websites I want to buy all the stuff but not sure what would be the next best buy for us? We will be doing mostly Karaoke to start, but we want to do disco aswell but as combo in pubs to start not weddings just yet, so the Pars sound good.

Regards

Ian

2stepsteve
28-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

I came across this thread and decided to register to give my thoughts about how to control DMX fixtures and to ask for some advice.

At the moment I am using a ENTTEC open DMX to USB interface with my PC, it works okish.. There are some problems I have with it however. I've used both freestyler and dmxcontrol software (both free) i've always found myself going back to dmxcontrol as it is slightly more polished with more features, but it is ridden with bugs and does not work very well with the enttec open DMX interface. 40% of the time it will miss sending a command to the interface.. I just DJ so this isn't too much of a problem but for production i'd recommend steering clear of this combo.. The amount of control is great with using an interface but its not very hands on.

At the moment i'm still using it but I want some hands on control instead, be able to tap a nice button instead of fiddling with setting keyboard shortcuts all the time..

I have some questions about the STAIRVILLE DMX-MASTER I controller. Does it have a internal mic for a sound to light mode? I see it has what looks like a mic input at the back..

How long can the scenes be that I create? How many steps or commands are you limited to?

DJ INDIE
25-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi all,

Im completely new to DMX - and currently confused!!

I intend to build my DMX lighting up gig by gig.

but at the moment I have an ACME Impossibled and a American DJ REVO1 - and ive just bought a Transcention DMX operator II.

In its very very basic terms, can anyone explain to me how i can control, say just the impossibled, (then later adding in the REVO I) with the controller - including every simple stage (address setting etc) Ive no idea! - ive read the instructions of both and both seem to miss out the actual first few steps of setting up!

im after more control over the impossibled. at the moment i have the CA8 but theres no real control there for scene setting etc

many thanks in advance.

Dragonfly
25-07-2008, 02:17 PM
where is uncle will??? i have a dmx master i want to take out of its box.

Penfold42
25-07-2008, 02:28 PM
where is uncle will??? i have a dmx master i want to take out of its box.

Have you still not done that yet......:eek:

I was exspecting you to show me on Sunday...after I have bought all my goods.:D

DJ INDIE
05-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Dragonfly (and anyone else struggling), dont know what type of problems youre having DMX wise, but after weeks of head scratching ive finally sussed how to control 3 lights (1 impossibled and 2 indepenent scanners) seperately if that helps anyone? although im not sure if the address settings are the same for all lights?

select address or dipswitch 1 for your Master (any light) (this will now be controllable if (4 channels) by sliders 1 (usually pattern etc),2 (some adaptation of pattern),3 (usually speed - slow/fast/strobe),4 (usually fade) - if nothing works try hovering channel 1 near the bottom end of the slider until the light comes on.
Then link the DMX out from that to the DMX in of your second light and set your dipswitches as 1 and 4 ON - this allows you to control this light with channels 9,10,11,12 (in similar order to the above).
Then link that light to the third and have your dipswitches as 1,2,8 ON and you can control that by channels 13,14,15,16 - and there we have it - hopefully 3 independently controlled lights and hours sat in the front room thinking your controlling a gig at wembley stadium!

ive set mine up like that so my scanners are on one page (ie channels 9-16 and my impossibled on another (channels 1-4) - remember to change 'pages' for channels 9-16

if you wish to use channels/sliders 5,6,7,8 try setting your dipswitches to 1 and 3 ON

This worked for me - hopefully it will help someone else too........

cheers

DeckstarDeluxe
16-01-2009, 12:39 AM
as the suggestions for dmx controllers were quite awhile ago i was wondering which unit people would recommend? Currently have a kam cluster, par can 64, impossiled, two mircaleds and two imove 7's though its never all on at the same time!

DMX Will
23-01-2009, 06:43 PM
as the suggestions for dmx controllers were quite awhile ago i was wondering which unit people would recommend? Currently have a kam cluster, par can 64, impossiled, two mircaleds and two imove 7's though its never all on at the same time!

Hiya,

The controllers suggested (note: I actually updated the recommended controllers not so long ago) will still do the job you want. As yet I haven't seen anything better on the market that is nice and easy for a DJ to use.

Take a look at DasLight too. Or if you want to spend less ADJ's MyDMX.

Cowlinn
26-01-2009, 05:58 PM
[DMX is connected using both 3 pin and 5 pin XLRs]

Wrong, 3 or 5 pin DMX Not XLR :sofa:

Danno13
26-01-2009, 06:05 PM
The cable is called DMX, the connectors are known as XLRs.

Cowlinn
26-01-2009, 06:15 PM

Fair play.

DMX Will
26-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Wrong, 3 or 5 pin DMX Not XLR :sofa:

As Dan said, DMX is connected using a cable suitable for the protocol, and is generally labelled as DMX cable, on each end you have a 3 or 5 pin XLR.

As you seem to be so hot on it, you'll know that there is no such thing as 3 or 5 pin DMX, and that there is no difference in the two types or cable/connector other than the number of pins in the XLRs, won't you.

And a special thanks to Dan for talking sense :)

mike8863
10-01-2010, 06:36 PM
thicko questions here.

1. Do all dmx controllers do what they say, ie any dmx controller will control any dmx light?.

2. If i set up my dmx controller for say 4 led par 56's, would these settings be saved the next time i use the controller, or do i have to reset the address/ channel settings each time i use them?.

3. I have 4 led par 56's a couple of cheap maplin scanners, and an impossibled that are dmx lights, would a 54 channel dmx controller control these?.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for my ignorance:o

leelive
15-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I also highly recommend the Stairville DMX Master (a cheaper re-brand of the Chauvet DMX-55 I have previously recommended to DJs), as it has everything your going to need, and I swear by it for the smaller discos we do -

Thanks for this recommend. I am one now happy Stairville user.
Lee

Happy Jack
16-08-2010, 12:16 AM

1. In a word, yes. If a controller is able to output DMX512 and the unit able to receive, a connection can be made.

While there are other proprietary comms and system protocol - Martin, AMX, Pathport, ETCNet etc - these are derived from the simple idea of a universal standardized method of communication between a control source and a device. DMX512 is the bedrock, and serves as the primary means of control.

2. As long as the arrangement remains fairly static once you've saved a few shows, what information you recall when you return to the desk should be exactly how you left it.

However, you begin adding more or physically readdressing fixtures at this point - with a memory full of looks and chases - and you may find that you are unable cloan channel specific information and have it play back correctly after a rejig. As is the limitation with such boards, and may be the reason to consider a software platform like Daslight or Freestyler where this is easier to manage.

3. 54 channels sounds like enough; one would have to know how the board maps this out as, though...

The Freekie I own allocates 12 channels 'per fixture' irrespective of how many the fixture in question actually occupies. I think this is fairly commonplace. You quickly learn to be 'creative' with your resources!

Corabar Entertainment
16-08-2010, 12:31 AM
All I will say to anyone thinking of giving DMX a go, but can't make head or tails of it when reading about it..... TRY IT!

Steve and I both got to grips with it pretty quickly (although only after purchasing a new controller after getting a duff second hand one. We thought it was us being thick with DMX, but it was actually the controller :daft: )

Having said that, I don't think we will be devoting loads of time writing programs for various lights and using it as a matter of course, as I can think of plenty of other things to do with out time. However, for those situations where you want to achieve something specific, it is perfect. (What prompted us was a B&G who wanted nothing but white lighting for their disco)

Booche
16-08-2010, 12:34 AM
All I will say to anyone thinking of giving DMX a go, but can't make head or tails of it when reading about it..... TRY IT!

Steve and I both got to grips with it pretty quickly (although only after purchasing a new controller after getting a duff second hand one. We thought it was us being thick with DMX, but it was actually the controller :daft: )

Having said that, I don't think we will be devoting loads of time writing programs for various lights and using it as a matter of course, as I can think of plenty of other things to do with out time. However, for those situations where you want to achieve something specific, it is perfect. (What prompted us was a B&G who wanted nothing but white lighting for their disco)

YEAH YEAH YEAH :p :sofa:

Corabar Steve
16-08-2010, 12:38 AM
On the subject, I would like to thank Clive from CRS, for his advice & the sale of an identical working unit. (How we know it was a fault with the first one & not us)

Corabar Entertainment
16-08-2010, 12:42 AM
YEAH YEAH YEAH :p :sofa:BOG OFF! :ner:

(and just for the record, new controller is exactly the same make and model as the second hand one. Difference being the new one actually activates the lights EVERY TIME, the faders respond EVERY TIME, it remembers the programs and plays them back when asked, and it doesn't turn 'programming' off by itself half way through the programming of a sequence!!! :bang: You can understand why we thought it was us doing something wrong! However, as soon as we got the new one - it did exactly what we wanted/expected :D )

Booche
16-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Saying that mine goes off on one sometimes once i've programmed a few things in it randomly alters and does its own thing :eek:

Cheers Dave :)

Shaun
16-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Saying that mine goes off on one sometimes once i've programmed a few things in it randomly alters and does its own thing :eek:

There could be a few reasons for this, I'm sure some of the more technical will chime in with some possible explanations and/or further clarification.

Poor quality DMX cables and whether or not you use a DMX Terminator plug on your last fixture could be possible causes. I used to occasionally have one fixture lagging during scenes. A DMX terminator plug solved the issue.

Edit* Here's a 'techy' thread about DMX termination. It made my head buzz reading it. Tony didn't write it did he? :d http://business.virgin.net/tom.baldwin/dmx-why_terminate.html

Jiggles
16-08-2010, 02:25 AM
There could be a few reasons for this, I'm sure some of the more technical will chime in with some possible explanations and/or further clarification.

Poor quality DMX cables and whether or not you use a DMX Terminator plug on your last fixture could be possible causes. I used to occasionally have one fixture lagging during scenes. A DMX terminator plug solved the issue.

Edit* Here's a 'techy' thread about DMX termination. It made my head buzz reading it. Tony didn't write it did he? :d http://business.virgin.net/tom.baldwin/dmx-why_terminate.html

Thats an easy read that, xD.

Booche
16-08-2010, 02:42 AM
:eek:

It wasn't just the one light that was going mad the whole set of them would lol but ill have to play about again to see what went off :)

Thanks anyway Shaun much greatfull :)

Charlie Brown
06-12-2010, 02:08 PM
(if you set the first channel to be 17)

- Pan (Ch17)
- Tilt (Ch18)
- Colour (Ch19)
- Gobo (Ch20)
- Dimmer (Ch21)

Is it always in that order?

Best software/interface?

Jiggles
06-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Yes it will always count up from the channel you set it to. Whats on each channel you will have to look up in the manual. DMX doesn't know whats on the channel it only outputs data.

As for best software. How longs a piece of string?

DeckstarDeluxe
17-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Right please help!

Got four stairville cans set up here in the living room and using a showtec LED operator 4.

There is 12 dipswitchs on the back so I gather the first can should be 1 on and the rest off? I can't get it to react to the controller at all.....

Shakermaker Promotions
01-04-2014, 05:13 AM
I found this guide very helpful. It was informative and not too difficult to understand for someone like me who just couldn't get to grips with the art of DMX.
I bought a Chauvet Obey 70 DMX controller at the weekend and yesterday decided to try it out with a few different lights.
This guide really helped me as the instruction manuals in my opinion take it for granted that we all instantly know what we are doing.