PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do?

SC Events
14-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi All,

Next weekend I have a Wedding Booking and they have me booked for 2 x 45 minute slots as they're also having a band.

I have received an E-Mail from the Bride saying that she now requires me to set-up at 1:30pm so I don't disturb the speeches later on.

I already have plans for the daytime, so now I will have to change them, go and set-up, go back home, then go back to the venue on the evening.

As I now have to effectively wait around all morning to set-up and then go back later in the evening, should I charge them an additional fee to cover time/fuel costs etc...and for ruining my plans?!

Also, the venue is 10 miles from my house, so that's an extra 20mile round trip on top of what I had quoted them for.

I look forward to your replies, thanks :)

Vectis
14-09-2011, 09:33 PM
If they had requested an early setup when the booking was originally agreed, would you have charged extra?

If so, then charge extra!

If not, then more fool you, but you could still try :o

SC Events
14-09-2011, 09:34 PM
If they had requested an early setup when the booking was originally agreed, would you have charged extra?

If so, then charge extra!

If not, then more fool you, but you could still try :o

They didn't request an early set-up when booking, the B2B sent me an email earlier saying:

"Having spoken to the venue, it would be better if you could come and set up at 1.30 pm in order not to disturb speeches etc."

Vectis
14-09-2011, 09:41 PM
OK, so, if they HAD requested it at the time of booking would you have charged extra?

If "YES" then charge extra

If "NO" then you're mad but you can try to charge extra

SC Events
14-09-2011, 09:45 PM
OK, so, if they HAD requested it at the time of booking would you have charged extra?

If "YES" then charge extra

If "NO" then you're mad but you can try to charge extra

Yes I would've as it's a 20 mile round-trip...so that's more fuel/time etc.

I have drafted this reply so far:

"Yes we can set-up earlier on the Friday, however, this will incur an extra charge of £XX to cover the cost of fuel/time etc for having to make the extra journey to the venue, as it's a 20 mile round-trip for us."

Do you think that's worded ok?

Andy Collins
14-09-2011, 09:53 PM
You don't need to justify your extra fee!

I would leave out the last bit about a 20 mile round trip. The fact is it's your time they have to pay for. So as the original brief has changed its only right that you charge more accordingly.

Kernow
14-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes I would've as it's a 20 mile round-trip...so that's more fuel/time etc.

I have drafted this reply so far:

"Yes we can set-up earlier on the Friday, however, this will incur an extra charge of £XX to cover the cost of fuel/time etc for having to make the extra journey to the venue, as it's a 20 mile round-trip for us."

Do you think that's worded ok?

I would make it more her decision (or at least she feels it is ;) )
i.e something like "The option of an early setup is available but will incur an additional cost of £xx. Please can you confirm your acceptance."

Excalibur
14-09-2011, 10:36 PM
It's an early set up.; My quotes always give a price, plus the information that an early setup is available, but will cost extra. That's at the initial stage. At this advanced stage, I might even be inclined to make that figure a little higher than normal.

I've got to say that wherever possible, I urge them togo for the early setup, as it's usually the easiest way.

yourdj
14-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Just tell them its £50 or whatever and explain that you have to travel 20 miles more and spend longer as thats your job.
I am getting fed up of venue managers saying "oh another DJ does it for free". Book them then you idiot :lol:

Its probably the venue being disorganized which is neither of your faults but you have a business to run.
Get the client to charge the venue for not disclosing this earlier in their year plus time together in meetings etc.

If they have a problem with that then tough. i have asked a client who has questioned this in the past if they would go in to work an hour earlier and not get paid to which they have said "no way". Same thing.

The next questions will be "oh can we use your system to plug an ipod into and use your mics"

Having said that I do do it occasionally at local venues if the set up is a pain, but thats on my terms in between walking the dogs.

Andy Collins
14-09-2011, 11:49 PM
The next questions will be "oh can we use your system to plug an ipod into and use your mics"

I had that last weekend. Early set up for 3pm and performance from 7pm

Then the management wanted radio mics and background music during the wedding breakfast. All of which wasn't agreed upon and they wanted it for free.

SC Events
14-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Thank you all for you replies.

I have emailed the client and told her that I will be able to set up in the early afternoon, but it will incur an extra fee.

I also had an email from her (Forgot to mention it before) asking would it be ok to pay cash on the night, even though two weeks ago I sent her a reminder saying that I require the outstanding balance to be paid no later than 14 days prior to the event, she also replied to acknowledge that.

I've also asked her to confirm that I am just doing 2 x 45 minute sets as that is what she has booked me for and it's all signed and agreed to!

I just have a gut feeling this Wedding is going to be pants and I think she might be my first Bridezilla...

DeckstarDeluxe
15-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Personally I avoid plans on the same day as Events because things like this crop up. The only question I have is are you charging for a early setup because that's your policy or are you charging just because it's messed up your plans?

BossmanKaraokeDisco
15-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi All,

Next weekend I have a Wedding Booking and they have me booked for 2 x 45 minute slots as they're also having a band.

I have received an E-Mail from the Bride saying that she now requires me to set-up at 1:30pm so I don't disturb the speeches later on.

I already have plans for the daytime, so now I will have to change them, go and set-up, go back home, then go back to the venue on the evening.

As I now have to effectively wait around all morning to set-up and then go back later in the evening, should I charge them an additional fee to cover time/fuel costs etc...and for ruining my plans?!

Also, the venue is 10 miles from my house, so that's an extra 20mile round trip on top of what I had quoted them for.

I look forward to your replies, thanks :)

Why would setting up later affect the speeches? Surely you would wait til the speeches were done, then set up while the room is being turned around for the evening. Also when are the band setting up, in my experience bands are a lot more disruptive than DJ's when it comes to setting up.
Spooky thing as I have an exact same booking in Stratford, working with a band......yours is not in Stratford, Is it? :D

SC Events
15-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Personally I avoid plans on the same day as Events because things like this crop up. The only question I have is are you charging for a early setup because that's your policy or are you charging just because it's messed up your plans?

No, i'm charging extra because I am now having to make an extra journey to the venue which was not included in the original quotation.

Why would setting up later affect the speeches? Surely you would wait til the speeches were done, then set up while the room is being turned around for the evening. Also when are the band setting up, in my experience bands are a lot more disruptive than DJ's when it comes to setting up.
Spooky thing as I have an exact same booking in Stratford, working with a band......yours is not in Stratford, Is it? :D

The room doesn't really get turned around. It is quite a large room and I set up by the back wall and all the tables are further forward towards the other end of the room.

When the speeches are finished, all the staff do is get rid of the cutlery and empty wine bottles etc.

Apparently, it's now not a band either, it's a Pianist...

No, i'm not in Stratford that night, however I am the following night - at Ettington Park Hotel.

Kernow
15-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Apparently, it's now not a band either, it's a Pianist...

Don't offer to help with their carry in !!! :eek: :D

Silver
15-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't offer to help with their carry in !!! :eek: :D

It could be like the one I saw recently.

I did a birthday gig recently and there was a Queen tribute band on, who were brilliant, sounded, looked and acted like them. Anyway, at the end it was a great disappointment to see Freddie Mercury dismantling his own piano. However there was nothing to it, just a carcass and an electronic keyboard with a cable!
http://planetsmilies.net/kilroy-smiley-6268.gif

Shakermaker Promotions
15-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Apologies if this sounds out of order but I never make plans at the weekend unless I have the weekend off. Most of my work is at weekends.

When I do a quotation, I always add in an early access to the price (dependent on the venue allowing it). If the customer takes advantage of it then it's covered.

That's what I would've done in your situation.

SC Events
15-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Apologies if this sounds out of order but I never make plans at the weekend unless I have the weekend off. Most of my work is at weekends.

When I do a quotation, I always add in an early access to the price (dependent on the venue allowing it). If the customer takes advantage of it then it's covered.

That's what I would've done in your situation.

Fair enough.

I DJ at this venue fairly regularly and have never yet had to do an early set-up, they usually just let me set-up when I want as it's at the other end of the room, so they don't need to lay a dance floor or move the top table etc.

Anyhow, I've had a reply back this morning saying that the Usher will give me the cash when I arrive - No cash, no disco...

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Most of my work is at weekends too, but you can't just not do anything because you're working that night!

I'd never see my son play football for a start.

Do you really think it would be OK for me to say that I couldn't watch him 'cos I was working that night! :lol:

Shakermaker Promotions
15-09-2011, 04:38 PM
SJS - Sorry, I didn't realise it was a venue you did regularly but my thoughts are still the same. I never organise anything if I know I am working.

Darren - You have more responsibilities than I do (Kids) and you are a bigger operator than I am. If something needed changing at the last minute or problems arose etc etc...I am sure you could get someone to go and sort it out for you if you were doing something else - I couldn't do that.

As far as I am concerned (and I am not having a go at all), the weekend is set aside for work and I am on call if you like. I have had one occasion in the past and it was a long time ago where I have had to rush out in the afternoon to sort something out for a function I was doing that evening. The customer was sorting out their own background music but there was a problem with their playout system. I had set up in the morning and my job was done....however, I received a call from the Best Man asking if I could sort something, so I did.

wensleydale
15-09-2011, 04:50 PM
It still seems a bit extreme
I would always try to help if I can, but unless people pay for the full day I wouldnt consider myself on call for the full day.