PDA

View Full Version : That cable!

MikeW
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
The cable which runs from ( in my case ) the mc6000 to my laptop. USB cable?

I was hearing a lot of crackles last night on a lot of the tracks I played during the background music.
I worked it out that it was the cable which runs from mc6000 to laptop. I changed it for a cable which I had spare ( think it was actually a cable for a printer ) it ran perfectly all night.

Is it ok to run a normal printer cable, or does it have to be a special sound one? ( the one which came with the denon has a little cylinder type thing at the end )
Does anyone have a link to purchase a spare?

Thanks in advance

Ps tried the old one this morning, it is now running fine, but would still like a spare.

discomobiledj
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
You can use any USB cable which has the correct ends on.

Vectis
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
USB is a digital interface. It passes 1's and 0's. It hasn't got a clue whether those represent music, data, clock ticks or whatever. It's just a stream of 1's and 0's.

So, yes, "any old" USB cable will do the trick although as ever there are various grades and prices with the "better" ones having a bit more shielding from interference or having better strain relief mouldings to avoid damage etc..

DeckstarDeluxe
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
The cable which runs from ( in my case ) the mc6000 to my laptop. USB cable?

I was hearing a lot of crackles last night on a lot of the tracks I played during the background music.
I worked it out that it was the cable which runs from mc6000 to laptop. I changed it for a cable which I had spare ( think it was actually a cable for a printer ) it ran perfectly all night.

Is it ok to run a normal printer cable, or does it have to be a special sound one? ( the one which came with the denon has a little cylinder type thing at the end )
Does anyone have a link to purchase a spare?

Thanks in advance

Ps tried the old one this morning, it is now running fine, but would still like a spare.

Check out the MC6000 threads on here, your not the only one with this issue and may not be the cable here.

MikeW
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Check out the MC6000 threads on here, your not the only one with this issue and may not be the cable here.

Thanks very much for your replies everyone.

I have got to say that last night it looked like it was the cable because as soon as I changed it, the problem was gone ( it really was very noticeable )
But as said, using the old one today it was fine again.
I am going to use the old one tonight again, so hopefully ok.

katman
01-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I have got to say that last night it looked like it was the cable because as soon as I changed it, the problem was gone ( it really was very noticeable )
But as said, using the old one today it was fine again.
I am going to use the old one tonight again, so hopefully ok.

IMHO that is the wrong choice.

1. You said it was playing up last night and was OK after you changed the cable.

2. you put the suspect cable on again today and all was OK but if the fault IS the cable you could well experience exactly the same problem again tonight.

3. Someone suggested that it may be the hardware as other people have had unexplained problems.

I would use the replacement cable tonight and if you do suffer problems then it could indicate that the hardware is playing up. There may be nothing wrong with the original cable but the act of unplugging it last night may have been enough to clear the problem by resetting the USB interface/communications.

MikeW
02-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for your comments Katman. Good point, saying that if I used the same cable again I could experience the same problem through the night. Thankfully all was well and it performed faultlessly the whole night.
As you said may have been the removing and re inserting that cleared the fault.

I would be interested to know, does everyone else leave their cable plugged into the back of their mixer/controller, or do they unplug it every night?

Thanks again

Mike

mattred
03-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I posted this in another post but it's worth checking these USB cables out.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/19/hi-speed-usb-cables-for-djs-20-ferrite/

It's high speed USB 2.0 with a ferrite at each end to reduce interference

I used to get a few USB drop out from my controller but since upgrading the cable it's made a major difference

Also I leave mine plugged in in the case.

Matt

MikeW
03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I posted this in another post but it's worth checking these USB cables out.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/19/hi-speed-usb-cables-for-djs-20-ferrite/

It's high speed USB 2.0 with a ferrite at each end to reduce interference

I used to get a few USB drop out from my controller but since upgrading the cable it's made a major difference

Also I leave mine plugged in in the case.

Matt
Thanks very much Matt, I will take a look.

Jiggles
03-10-2011, 12:54 PM
USB with ferrite on them. If you ask me its rather pointless. It's a digital signal with a shield meaning that the data won't be corrupted by RF. :)

mattred
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM
USB with ferrite on them. If you ask me its rather pointless. It's a digital signal with a shield meaning that the data won't be corrupted by RF. :)

If im honest I have no idea if they make any difference. I was told they stop the usb cable giving out interference rather than receiving but that was by a mate in the pub so dont take it as gospel!!

The blue USB cable serato ship is a great usb cable and that doesnt have any ferrites and I never had any probs using my sl3 box

Matt

Vectis
05-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Less interference = less retransmits = faster and more consistent potential throughput which I would have thought was desirable in a real-time-data-flow situation such as playing out music or video. Not so important in a batch type scenario such as a file backup where the odd pause/retransmit doesn't matter.

If im honest I have no idea if they make any difference. I was told they stop the usb cable giving out interference rather than receiving but that was by a mate in the pub so dont take it as gospel!!

Depends how noisy the environment in which it is being used.

It will work both ways but much less so on the 'outbound' interference as it's the cable as a whole that acts as a transmitting antenna, apart from the little bit thats wound around the ferrite bead.