PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Coolers

Ryu
03-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Anyone use/suggest a good Laptop cooler and/or offer any thoughts or advice on ensuring the Laptop stays as cool as the DJ ;)

djdave01
03-10-2011, 09:08 AM
i use a small, clip-on fan positioned above the laptop & external hardrive to keep them cool. Works fine.

Micromark MM30132 6" Clip on Desk Fan White: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Ryu
03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
i use a small, clip-on fan positioned above the laptop & external hardrive to keep them cool. Works fine.

Micromark MM30132 6" Clip on Desk Fan White: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micromark-MM30132-Clip-Desk-White/dp/B0007LJB98)

Cool, cheers for that.

Do you run your entire operating system from the external or just keep the tracks on there? I'm not sure how much it would cool it if it was just the latter?

mattred
03-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about your external drive unless you have it boxed in. As long as there is room around it to breath as such it will be fine.

With regard to the laptop I always have mine on a stand but if I'm honest it's more so that it's as the right height for me. Your Dj software shouldn't be so CPU intensive that your laptop is running majorly hot anyway

Just get a cheap stand to lift the back up a little so that heat can escape easily and you should be fine.

Will try and find a link to the 2 I have

Matt

djdave01
03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Cool, cheers for that.

Do you run your entire operating system from the external or just keep the tracks on there? I'm not sure how much it would cool it if it was just the latter?

i just have the music on the external drive.

it doesnt really get that hot, the fan i use is probably overkill, but the external drive & the laptop stay nice and cool thoughout the gig, and if im feeling the heat, i can always point the fan towards me for a while :D

gharbud
03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
i made a laptop stand and built some usb fans into it, which i ten plug into the mains via an adaptor

ignore the birds nest of cables

Digital Jack
03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Make sure your laptops internal fan is kept clear of fluff , from past experience I have found that external fans / laptop coolers (that force air up - underneath a laptop) increase the amount of fluff build up, which in turn causes problems of overheating due to fluff build up in the cooling fan in the laptop.

Ryu
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Make sure your laptops internal fan is kept clear of fluff , from past experience I have found that external fans / laptop coolers (that force air up - underneath a laptop) increase the amount of fluff build up, which in turn causes problems of overheating due to fluff build up in the cooling fan in the laptop.

That sounds like good advice, thanks! I had been tempted with a mat/USB hub combo, but I agree with you and have read similar warnings that they can exacerbate the problem.

Digital Jack
03-10-2011, 09:40 PM
As long as the ambient temperature isn't too high ..........
Places where you may work (where you set up your gear) may suffer from bad air circulation , high humidity etc , try to ensure there's sufficient fresh air if you can. I don't mean that you aught to set up by an open window , but don't expect to avoid hot computer problems if you set up in a cloakroom of a busy venue...
Oh , and make sure there's room beneath your laptop to aid ventilation..