PDA

View Full Version : Webmail and Microsoft Outlook

DJ Frankie
04-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi Folks

Im currently using webmail for my disco enquiries etc which is part of my website hosting package but would like to move back to Outlook as its something im used to working with etc.
Does anyone know if my current webmail can be linked to Outlook and is there a way I can access my email from a network PC like I can with my webmail.

Cheers

Frankie :beer1:

mattydinx
04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Chances are your webhost will have details on their site on the POP or IMAP settings you'll need to get outlook up and running.

My personal preference would be IMAP.

discomobiledj
04-10-2011, 06:13 PM
If your webhost offers IMAP and SMTP servers then you are good to go. Just add the account into Outlook.

DJ Frankie
04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Cheers guys, im aware of how to set up the SMTP and IMAP but am unsure of how to access my outlook via a network PC away from home like I can with webmail, is this possible?

Craig - Dragon Discos
04-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Do you mean accessing outlook on your home pc while you're out?
Have you looked at software like Go2myPc?

discomobiledj
05-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Logmein is free to use. Although your pc needs to be on all the time.

Do you have a smartphone?

DJ Frankie
05-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Cheers guys, yes I need to access my emails via my android phone or via another network PC.
At present I have set this up with my web hosting webmail but need to work out how this works with Outlook....?

Craig - Dragon Discos
05-10-2011, 07:26 PM
If your webserver is IMAP you can just set the account up on each device and any changes will be carried out on all devices? That's how mine works.
I use windows live mail on the pc, and my ipad & iphone both recieve the account too. if I delete or respond to an email on the phone, when I open up the ipad or pc, the folders are exactly the same.

mattydinx
05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
^^^ What Craig said.

Webmail is - as it suggests - mail on the web, so your emails are stored on a remote web server.

Setting Outlook, your phone, tablet, etc to retrieve mail via IMAP means that your mail remains in it's same state regardless where you go - It'll always be on the web unless you move/delete things:

Delete an item from webmail - it'll be deleted in outlook next time outlook sync's with the mailserver.
Move an item to another folder in outlook - it'll be moved when you log onto webmail too.

There's no need to access 'outlook' remotely for your emails as such when you're out and about - as they all use the same mail server you can simply use your phone to keep your mail organised on the go.

DJ Frankie
05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Cool thanks for your replies chaps.