PDA

View Full Version : Next move with non payer?

Spirits High
07-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I had a cancellation in September that seems to have dropped off the planet.

Quick bit of background. It was a Wedding Vows renewal at a hotel which was booked, contract signed & booking fee paid back in October last year. Tried to get hold of the couple at the end of Aug / beginning of September to finalise songs etc but couldn't.

About a week later after numerous emails and leaving voicemails I got an email off client saying that they cancelled via email "a while back". Obviously I'd received no email so got in touch with the hotel to see what was happening. As far as the hotel was concerned it was still happening as they had had no notice of cancellation either.

So I emailed the client stating that no email was received and that due to the timescale full payment is due etc etc. No surprise to me I never heard anything back.

Again I emailed and sent a SD letter with invoice etc giving her a date to pay by.

I tracked the SD online and it was a failed delivery ie: Nobody there to sign for it so it went to the sorting office and a card left. This morning I've had the SD letter returned to me by the Post Office as it wasn't collected.

I'm thinking now that my next step would be money claim but if that address isn't where they are anymore it'll just be wasted time & money.

Open to advice on this one please ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
07-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Was the event in September Paul?

I would speak with the hotel (hopefully you have a strong relationship with them). I'm sure data protection acts are in place to ask for their personal details but they may be able to point you in the right direction about contacting them further.

DiscoMagic
07-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Dependant on how much money you stood to gain and have potentially lost, I would personally look to "write it off". Gasp I hear you say, but short of sending a legal type letter it would perhaps be more time and effort than it is worth getting the money back.

Or you could "Send the Boys Round" !!! :D

Spirits High
07-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Was the event in September Paul?

I would speak with the hotel (hopefully you have a strong relationship with them). I'm sure data protection acts are in place to ask for their personal details but they may be able to point you in the right direction about contacting them further.

Event was September 18th.

Hotel has exactly same contact info as I do. I actually gave them the working email address of the client.

I'm thinking it may be a trip down to the address and check it out, chat to neighbours etc. Ironically I know that was definitely their house as the I met them there when they booked initially.

Dependant on how much money you stood to gain and have potentially lost, I would personally look to "write it off". Gasp I hear you say, but short of sending a legal type letter it would perhaps be more time and effort than it is worth getting the money back.

Or you could "Send the Boys Round" !!! :D

Don't really want to "write it off" wasn't a cheap day!

As for sending the boys round. Quite possible as I know someone with a debt collection "Agency" however if they're not living there anymore it's pointless.

DeckstarDeluxe
07-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Event was September 18th.

Hotel has exactly same contact info as I do. I actually gave them the working email address of the client.

I'm thinking it may be a trip down to the address and check it out, chat to neighbours etc. Ironically I know that was definitely their house as the I met them there when they booked initially.

So what happened with the hotel, did the event just not happen yet they were paid?

Spirits High
07-10-2011, 12:18 PM
So what happened with the hotel, did the event just not happen yet they were paid?

The hotel are still chasing them too!

deltic
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
get the hotel to stick your fee on their claim,and let them do the chasing.

NKR
07-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I would just accept its a write off. Its difficult to prove you have had a material loss as you never actually lost anything. The nature of our business means you lost an evenings work, but physical out of pocket is nil and you never actually provided the service. In fact you have some funds for no service at present.

I think you are onto a loser personally.

djtrev
07-10-2011, 02:10 PM
It is never nice to read that somebody has been let down and is having to chase payment especially if it is their only means of income.
But I do wish people would refrain from this habit of suggesting that you 'send the boys round'.
Its not professional,its not business like and it certainly doesnt do anything for the image of djing.

MBK
07-10-2011, 02:18 PM
I would write it off and move on.

Failing that go through the small claims court and have a summons issued but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting paid.

Larry B Entertainment
07-10-2011, 02:26 PM
But I do wish people would refrain from this habit of suggesting that you 'send the boys round'.

I think it is only meant in a light hearted kind of way :beer1:

djtrev
07-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I think it is only meant in a light hearted kind of way :beer1:

I would like to think so but it has been suggested on here and other forums with a little more intent.
Anyway I still think it's unnecessary and if its on a public forum then clients are likely to read it.

yourdj
08-10-2011, 12:58 AM
I would just accept its a write off. Its difficult to prove you have had a material loss as you never actually lost anything. The nature of our business means you lost an evenings work, but physical out of pocket is nil and you never actually provided the service. In fact you have some funds for no service at present.

I think you are onto a loser personally.

Sod that. You have spent valuable time and effort with these people and they have blatantly found a mate that will do it for free.

What do you t&c's say.

Send another letter or if they have moved get a debt firm to find them and recover
the cash with added interest for your added hard work in tracking the idiots down.

Creature
08-10-2011, 02:40 AM
MY view is that you should just write it off.

You have the booking fee, so at least its not a total waste.

I believe if you persue this, you may in fact end up damaging the reputation of your business - as they will tell all there friends about whats happening, and they will tell there friend etc.

Be adult about it - take it on the chin and move on !

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I believe if you persue this, you may in fact end up damaging the reputation of your business - as they will tell all there friends about whats happening, and they will tell there friend etc.

Damage your reputation because of what? Think about it - the client signed the contract...what exactly is there to damage?

It is pointless having a contract if you are going to do nothing about it.

yourdj
08-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Damage your reputation because of what? Think about it - the client signed the contract...what exactly is there to damage?

It is pointless having a contract if you are going to do nothing about it.

I play these things on the situation and behavior of the second party and they have shown him no respect as a professional so deserve what they get.

I have a had a couple of cancellation this year last minute and have done nothing as the client has been very apologetic and decent about it.

Spirits High
08-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. Some very interesting views in there :eek:

I'm not going to give this up just yet, contracts & terms & conditions are there for a reason. I'll speak to the hotel again and see how they're getting on chasing things.

I'm actually going near the "address" of the client this week so will pop around and see just who does or doesn't live there.

SC Events
08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I, personally, would push to get your money. Otherwise, what's the point of having a contract and T&C's if you're not going to back them up?

I'm currently in the process of trying to get some money from a client who cancelled a wedding with 48 hours notice, due to him completely changing the details and expecting me to do an all day wedding for the same price as just an evening do, as well as other things.

Vectis
08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Too many folks unfortunately look at situations like this in terms of the nett value of the gig concerned, which is the wrong approach.

Administrative and legal costs are an unavoidable business overhead and viability should not be judged on the basis of the job in question but against the business as a whole.

Therefore I, too, would urge Paul to continue. Find these people if at all possible and Moneyclaim them. Even if you never see a penny, you'll have the satisfaction of giving them a CCJ for their trouble. Make it difficult for them to stitch people up in the future.

But if the path goes cold (as I have a hunch it might), well that's perhaps the time to knock it on the head.

Someone suggested getting the hotel to chase on your behalf - nonsense. Paul's contract with with the client, not the hotel. Short of buying the debt there is no way this would be feasible.

Shaun
08-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I, personally, would push to get your money. Otherwise, what's the point of having a contract and T&C's if you're not going to back them up?

:agree:

Spirits High
08-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Well after a bit of online fishing I've now found her husband on linked in ;)

So although he didn't sign the contract I think I'll get in touch with him. Their address also comes up well on google so I'll keep trying.

DeckstarDeluxe
08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Aye, another one for the chasing the money here. As been said if we use contracts and don't enforce them then that makes them rather pointless.

Vectis
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Well after a bit of online fishing I've now found her husband on linked in

Unlikely to be total scumbags then :o Go for it! :beer1:

Jonathan Ford
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Keep at the buggers, Paul. If you get no joy, but a confirmed address, I'd give them one chance then court. I'd be after this as aggressively as I could.

All the best, mate.

Spirits High
08-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Defiantly pursing this will have a little trip out during the week to the address.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens ;)

Shaun
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
will have a little trip out during the week to the address.

It's worked for me in the past. :)

Corabar Entertainment
08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
:Laugh: ...Steve and I are crying here at the new avatar, Shaun!

Spirits High
08-10-2011, 11:56 AM

That avatar is sooooooo wrong on soooo many levels!

Shaun
08-10-2011, 11:56 AM

:D

hammy
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM

That avatar is sooooooo wrong on soooo many levels!

:D

You had to have been there :D :D

Spirits High
13-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Thought I've give you an update on this one.

The client & I agreed to a 50% reduction if full payment was made by a certain date.

That date has now passed and no payments were made. Have been in touch with the client and have had a bucket load of excuses so today I instructed a debt recovery company to get what I'm owed.

Cost me £25 to do and they have a 88% percent success rate for recoverys. If it needs to go to court it'll just be an additional £35 court fee which is recoverable from the client ;)

couldn't find the Dog with a bone "smiley" ;)