PDA

View Full Version : Free voices

Ricesnaps
22-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Forgive me for posting this here, but I am sure a few of you will understand why. I have managed to keep a calm level head on me for many months now, but recient events have started to show red to me. The following post is a direct copy of my reply to completely unfounded abuse recieved following my frustration with a forum member. I am assuming that the moderation is actually not the free voice that it says it is and as such my post there will probably not stay for long. Please forgive me for posting it here, but I felt what I had to say was valid and important. If the moderation or owners here feel I am wrong to do this, please could you PM me and have a chat?

Good grief, and people wonder why I took the decision not to post on this forum.

But before I go, let me have my say. Maree and Mick, I have absolutely no idea why you even think you have the right to be abusive towards me. Considering that the frustration I have (and expressed) earlier in this thread was at no time even considered to be a direct attack on the two of you let alone a backhanded one. I have had a number of fruitful and interesting discusions with both of you over the last year and personally have absolutely no gripe with either of you. We have even helped each other out with a fe link swaps for other areas of our business which seems to work well. If you do have a problem with me, which I am obviously completely unaware of, please would you be kind enough to give me a call or drop me an email - I\'m sure it\'s nothing that we can\'t sort out.

As for my aproach to Mr Badger here, I was simply rather appauled that he decided to continue to completely ignore the very clear advice that he was being giving by not only myself, but a number of other people elsewhere and come here to completely slag off the advice - we do read other forums you know.

I for one would certainly admit that I am one of the most stubbourn sods around, but if you actually took the time to look back at the advice I have been given, you will find that most of the time I have weighed it up, considered it and put it in place. In fact I still am. You are completely right by saying that not everyone is a fortunate as me. What you fail to understand is that I am this fortunate because I have worked bloody hard, have sleepless nights and have dragged myself kicking and screaming out of the gutter to get here. So maybe I deserve to pat myself on the back a little don\'t you think.

Going back to Mr Badger, I think you will find that he is in a very similar position and state of mind to the one I found myself in 5 or 6 years ago - offering advice is fine, but speaking from personal experiance is something quite different. I have personally NEVER been unemployed and I get very angry when I find people who claim that they just can\'t get work. I would (and have) been prepared to do some nasty unpleasent jobs to make sure there\'s food on my table - if you want to work, there is always work available.

As for disco\'s, maybe I am not the best in the world, but I don\'t actually think I have ever claimed to be. I don\'t do this full time (I really don\'t think the day job would allow it - without me killing myself) and I don\'t claim to be working every weekend, but I am doing OK this year and next year is looking good too. Sometimes there are things we all learn that help others to get better.

Feel free to have your own opinions, that\'s what makes the world go around. Unfortunately some of you have just confirmed some of the reasons I decided to stop associating myself with this particular forum, which is a shame. Enjoy yourselves!

I assume that the free voice of the moderation on this site will delete this post fairly swiftly - which will be an answer in itself!

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Rice

I think we shouldn't get involved in cross-forum posting.

Whatever is said there is for there, and vice-versa. :)

Ricesnaps
22-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Rice

I think we shouldn't get involved in inter-forum posting.
In all fairness I was actually attempting to make people aware of the unfounded comments made on an alternative forum in the first place. Just goes to show why I chose not to post there in the first place.

I will go with whatever decision the mods and owners make on this post, but I am still steaming - off to walk around a cold production area to cool off!!

Corabar Steve
22-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Can we leave it at that, any arguements will result in the thread being closed as per forum rules

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-09-2006, 12:06 PM
In all fairness I was actually attempting to make people aware of the unfounded comments made on an alternative forum in the first place. Just goes to show why I chose not to post there in the first place.

I will go with whatever decision the mods and owners make on this post, but I am still steaming - off to walk around a cold production area to cool off!!

Don't worry, we are well aware of what goes on elsewhere...

Most of the time though we choose to ignore it. Badger will just go on to make himself look more and more stupid.

Stay cool Rice. :)

Corabar Entertainment
22-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Good idea Matt - take a long walk!

We really do not want to get into running down other people/forums, etc..... and I know you are only doing it because you are angry at this moment, but we really want and need to stop all the back-biting and bad-mouthing within the industry if we want to move forward and be taken seriously: and I, for one, have noticed a definite improvement and greater spirit of co-operation in recent times and would like this to continue.

There always have been and always will be differences of opinion between individuals, but we can't let this taint the bigger picture.

....Enjoy your walk! :)

Ricesnaps
22-09-2006, 12:58 PM
There always have been and always will be differences of opinion between individuals, but we can't let this taint the bigger picture.

....Enjoy your walk! :)
Nice and cool now and off on holiday for a week from Monday, so will be completely chilled by then! And probably very drunk!

Apologies if I went off on one, but I'm sure most here understand.

100 lines....

I must stop letting idiots get to me
I must stop letting idiots get to me
I must stop letting idiots get to me..... :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
22-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Have a great holiday, Matt! :teeth:

Ricesnaps
22-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Have a great holiday, Matt! :teeth:
Mother in Laws 60th birthday to do tomorrow nioght before though - strangly I am quite excited at the prospect of our whole family and friend watching me work!

Sadist I think!

CRAZY K
22-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Angela said
and I, for one, have noticed a definite improvement and greater spirit of co-operation in recent times and would like this to continue.

I think this could be connected to the fact that certain people have "disappeared" off here ( not this week! )

It is strange how some people seem to get a kick out of being nasty to others
instead of getting on with developing their businesses from all the great support on here :teeth:

CRAZY K

Mayhem 1
22-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Well said Crazy,

I have said it before but...................................

I have always thought of forums to be a place to go either seaking help and advice or to pass on experience.

I will always help anyone if I can

regards

Mayhem 1

Have a disco
22-09-2006, 02:22 PM

Most of the time though we choose to ignore it. Badger will just go on to make himself look more and more stupid.

Prehaps you should learn not too keep baiting members then with spitful comments about peoples shows without expecting retaliation

I have tried my best but I do not conform too your views or many others at that. But your continual spit has done nothing but inflame a situation that could have been dealt with much better. Im not the only guilty party here

(edit if you wish please let this reply go up) Im not fighting anyone but I wont be had ago at or be called stupid without a right of reply you might as well stab me in the back at this rate

Corabar Steve
22-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Sadist I think!What are you going to inflict on them then????? :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
22-09-2006, 02:52 PM

Prehaps you should learn not too keep baiting members then with spitful comments about peoples shows without expecting retaliation

I have tried my best but I do not conform too your views or many others at that. But your continual spit has done nothing but inflame a situation that could have been dealt with much better. Im not the only guilty party here

(edit if you wish please let this reply go up) Im not fighting anyone but I wont be had ago at or be called stupid without a right of reply you might as well stab me in the back at this rateOK Badger - you wanted the right to reply and now you've had it - now please leave it there, and I would be grateful to everyone if this is the last word on the subject.... from where I am sitting (including having read your posts that were deleted last night) it seems that Badgers can bait very well also. Just remember that other cliche - 'it takes two to tango'.

'He said' 'she said' should be left in the playground where it belongs and has no place on here.

Now, no more on the subject, please!?!?!?

Ricesnaps
22-09-2006, 03:56 PM
What are you going to inflict on them then????? :teeth:
I think it's more what they inflict on me. Imagine a mother in law, sister in law, 9 uncles on one side and all the Yarmouth massive in one room with me playing the tunes!

Corabar Steve
23-09-2006, 01:06 AM
So you'd be a masochist then :teeth:

Ricesnaps
23-09-2006, 05:59 AM
I always get my sadist and masochists muddled up - probably not something you'd want to do in real life hey!

Corabar Entertainment
23-09-2006, 08:39 AM
:omg: :omg:

Corabar Steve
24-09-2006, 09:19 AM
I always get my sadist and masochists muddled up - probably not something you'd want to do in real life hey! :omg: :teeth: :teeth:

Candybeatdiscos
24-09-2006, 09:38 AM
thats weird...you have your M.I.L 60th the night before you go on holiday for a week, next saturday I have my M.I.L 50th, the next day i go on holiday for two weeks....

coincidence or what....

Thames Valley Discos
24-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Well my M.I.L is coming over on the day of my 40th, what bad luck is that!!!!!
I,ll be out all month i think!

funkymike
24-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Well my M.I.L is coming over on the day of my 40th, what bad luck is that!!!!!
I,ll be out all month i think!

Cool, you having a party??

Ricesnaps
24-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Well guys, the party was a HUGE success. Sometimes you get more out of things than you think. Hotel absolutely loved me and the wife. Couple of pics to show us in our glory!

A1DL
24-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Well guys, the party was a HUGE success. Sometimes you get more out of things than you think. Hotel absolutely loved me and the wife. Couple of pics to show us in our glory!

Looks good, I'd try to raise your mid/highs 2-3 ft though

alexperrins
24-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Just out of interest, how much do you normally charge for this type of event Ricesnaps? Don't worry if it is a bit personal and you don't want to answer it, I only wanted to know as I thought your setup looks very professional and quite a bit larger than mine at this stage in my early career! (though I would agree with A1DL! :) ) How many people does that setup cover on average?

CRAZY K
24-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Nice one Rice--

Wheres the name banner? :omg:

Have I won the prize for the competition to identify the missing piece of kit :teeth:

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
24-09-2006, 07:17 PM
A1 - Thanks for the comments. I do have poles that sit between the subs and the M-flex, but for some reason doing this tends to make the trebble a little to prominant - just a change really, use the poles quite a bit.

Alex - not a problem at all for asking. That show was free! but then it was my mother in law. Generally 2006 price is £185, £200 next year and a little more for weddings. I don't have different shows, so whatever fits in the venue gets used!

Crazy - top prize, but missing for a reason, been rolled up on a cupboard for a while and the banner doen't look it's best. Must buy a new one!

The real answer was "why is nobody dancing"? Well, ask my wife - see the picture!

soundtracker
24-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Nice looking speakers Matt!

Ricesnaps
24-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Nice looking speakers Matt!
Mmmm, don't you have a very similar lookign pair?

alexperrins
24-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Cheers! Thanks for the info. :teeth:

Thames Valley Discos
24-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Cool, you having a party??
yes, for the whole month! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

CRAZY K
24-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Rice said--
A1 - Thanks for the comments. I do have poles that sit between the subs and the M-flex, but for some reason doing this tends to make the trebble a little to prominant -

The reason will be that if the treble sound is going straight into the bodies and faces of dancers at the front of the room it will be absorbed and deflected---if it was going over their heads from higher placed speakers and hit the back wall you would hear it bouncing round the room more prominently--I think thats whats happening.

Not an option for me--every word has to heard by the audience including those at the back of the room :teeth:

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
24-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Rice said--
A1 - Thanks for the comments. I do have poles that sit between the subs and the M-flex, but for some reason doing this tends to make the trebble a little to prominant -

The reason will be that if the treble sound is going straight into the bodies and faces of dancers at the front of the room it will be absorbed and deflected---if it was going over their heads from higher placed speakers and hit the back wall you would hear it bouncing round the room more prominently--I think thats whats happening.

Not an option for me--every word has to heard by the audience including those at the back of the room :teeth:

CRAZY KBut it sounds fine when set up like in the picture!

A1DL
24-09-2006, 10:55 PM
But it sounds fine when set up like in the picture!

for a small party, yes, however if you have say a packed dancefloor, only those at the front will hear the mid/highs with clarity.

for larger functions it is almost always essential to build your stacks or fly them so the mid/highs throw above body height (or use poles on smaller systems), usually with at least a 2:1 bass ratio to give a good solid punchy bass and crystal clear top end irrespective of where guests are on the floor.