PDA

View Full Version : What do you use as prizes??...

Cassiefunkymonkeys
17-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Hiya, I am a kids disco entertainer.
I have been doing this for about 18months, and after very little advertising on 1 mums site, I am jam packed through repeat bookings from parties I've done.
I find the games, music & dancing, interaction bit easy (maybe having 5 kids of my own) and I'm only 29 so am quite into chart music myself :-) but was wondering what people do about prizes. Currently, if they dance well they get glowsticks or chocolate coins, bigger prizes.. I usually get £1 craft, colouring sets, bubble swords etc plus I do pass the pack with a small sweet for each child, plus in my musical impressions game I give balloon dogs or swords, and i play raining sweets at the end of older kids parties...But I like everyone to at least get something n each party costs me about £7 in prizes I'd say! What do others give? Where do others get there prizes from? Wanna still give the same amount of prizes as its important to me that the kids get treats, but if I can save pennies then that'd be fab :-)

Shaun
17-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi there, Welcome to the MDD.
:)
Please take a few moments to read the thread linked to directly below. Thanks.
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11711

Please also take a moment to read the forum rules (linked to below), especially #23 which relates to text talk. I've amended your topic title and parts of your post on this occasion. :)
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19228

I look forward to reading your new member post in the 'newbies' section. :beer1:

Larry B Entertainment
17-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello and Welcome !

Corabar Entertainment
17-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Hello and Welcome !Wake up, Larry... this isn't a newbie introduction thread!

:lol:

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
18-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Sounds ok but Dont be a Tightwad!
I usually spend around a Tenner per party at the "Poundshop"
Best buys are....Hula Hoops NOT THE SWEETS ( large and small)
Poundshow Glowsticks (20 for a pound)
Bags of "Haribo" Sweets pound each
Skipping ropes (cheap ones 50p each wooden handle ones a pound each)
Pens and pencil sets
Die cast toy cars ( 6 to 10 for a pound )
had some 50p Lego / Duplo toys too
Pound footballs ( great to occupy the boys)
Had a few LED torches that were good too
( some were Duracell LEDS AND BATTERIES)

As i stated most parties get a Tenner or less of stuff
The kids love it and the cost is allways passed onto
the customer in the price.

Hopefully StarsoundZ might be able to provide more input here

PS I NEVER EVER GIVE CHILDREN BALLOONS!

PPS I Usually get the parents to wrap 2 pass the parcels ( 1 girl 1 boy )

Cheers

Charlie Brown
18-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Parents are asked whether they'd they would like to provide the prizes or for an additional £10, I'll get them. Spend four squid on prizes and you've made another £6.

Same as Dave, I'll get them to do pass the parcel.

chrisj
18-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Favourite prize that I give away is a flexi pencil. Many different colours and I usually tie a knot in them. I buy 1,000 or 1500 at a time but cannot remember where I bought the last. I do remember seeing them on ebay and contacted the seller for bulk price.

StarZSoundS
18-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Hopefully StarsoundZ might be able to provide more input here

Got loads of ideas.....too many to mention on here!!!

First off look on ebay....wholesale and job lots......maybe narrow your search down to within a fifty mile radius....no postage and you can see what you are buying.....

I bought 1500 Alice Bands (wrapped) for 1p each at the weekend....if anyone wants any???:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jonathan Ford
18-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Parents are asked whether they'd they would like to provide the prizes or for an additional £10, I'll get them. Spend four squid on prizes and you've made another £6.

Same as Dave, I'll get them to do pass the parcel.

Same here. I don't do many kids parties these days because they don't pay enough, but when I do I try and encourage parents to provide any prizes.

Corabar Steve
18-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Cassiefunkymonkeys, just in case you missed the following post* (post #2 in this thread) from one of this site's partners / admins, here it is again
Hi there, Welcome to the MDD.
:)
Please take a few moments to read the thread linked to directly below. Thanks.
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11711 (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11711)

It would be nice if you observed site etiquette & introduced yourself in the Newbies section. (Apart from anything else folks are more inclined to reply if they've been introduced)

Thanks.

*At least I assume you missed it as you've been on the forum since it was posted & no introduction has been forthcoming.

Andy Goodtimes
19-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I tend to use Poundland but am always on the look out when out shopping, the other day got some packs of Vimto sweets, 7 packs for £1 in Cool Trader. I always have a box of various prizes for kids and adults just in case.

djdave01
19-10-2011, 08:06 AM
maybe im doing it wrong, but i let the parents supply the prizes, only been asked if i'll supply them a couple of times.

DazzyD
19-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Larger prizes are supplied by the parents but I got a bulk-guy of plastic winner's medals and little world-cup-style trophies. They're only simple little gimmicks but the kids seem to take pride in the fact that they've "won" them.

ppentertainments
19-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Larger prizes are supplied by the parents but I got a bulk-guy of plastic winner's medals and little world-cup-style trophies. They're only simple little gimmicks but the kids seem to take pride in the fact that they've "won" them.
Not just kids - adults go daft for those little plastic medals too :eek: :D
BTW Dazzy - where did you bulk buy from ?? I currently buy boxes of 200, but they work out at nearly 13p each.

Gary (GDK)
19-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I buy medals from Wilko's, I would be interested into knowing your source to Dazzy.

JTRS
19-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I use poundshops and use the kids next door as test bunnies, they tell me if something breaks easy, if so I avoid it. If I get good reports I stock up on those items (typically skipping ropes for girls, model cars for boys, paint sets and face masks to paint for either sex, bubbles for team game prizes, or glider kits and kites if it is summer-time and we have an outdoor area)

I prefer to do the prizes myself for a few reasons,-

1) I know I'll always have enough prizes for all the games and dance contests

2) I know the prizes will be appropriate for whichever sex wins

3) I know the prizes are reasonable quality and won't drop to bits in 5 minutes

I only have one price for a kids party and thats £175 for 2 hours which includes prizes and a pass the parcel (if required), but I make sure that every guest wins a prize (yes every guest at every party). Over time it works out on average that I spend £30 on each party (prizes and sweets) but the feedback is brilliant, the parents love the fact that they don't have to worry about the prizes and also that every guest wins something.

The amount of bookings I get from recommendations or parents who were at a party is very high, so for me it's worth doing it this way.

JTRS

DazzyD
20-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Not just kids - adults go daft for those little plastic medals too :eek: :D
BTW Dazzy - where did you bulk buy from ?? I currently buy boxes of 200, but they work out at nearly 13p each.

I buy medals from Wilko's, I would be interested into knowing your source to Dazzy.

I get a lot of my stuff from PartyDelights.co.uk:

http://www.partydelights.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProductID=MEDA001&src=gbase

However, these work out at nearly 16p per unit so you've probably got the best deal there, Chris.

I have been known to pop in to Wilkinson's if I need stock in a hurry or, better still, Dainty Supplies in Washington.

As for online suppliers, PartyRama is pretty good, too!

ppentertainments
20-10-2011, 07:39 AM
I get a lot of my stuff from PartyDelights.co.uk:

http://www.partydelights.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProductID=MEDA001&src=gbase

However, these work out at nearly 16p per unit so you've probably got the best deal there, Chris.

I have been known to pop in to Wilkinson's if I need stock in a hurry or, better still, Dainty Supplies in Washington.

As for online suppliers, PartyRama is pretty good, too!
Cheers dazzy. It is dainty supplies I use, but bought 8 boxes a few years ago so prices probably shot up since then - do you know businesses get a 10% discount there ??

Corabar Entertainment
20-10-2011, 09:57 AM
PartyRama is pretty good, too!Personally, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after some VERY bad service from them a few years ago.

DazzyD
20-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Cheers dazzy. It is dainty supplies I use, but bought 8 boxes a few years ago so prices probably shot up since then - do you know businesses get a 10% discount there ??

I didn't know that but I've never bought in bulk from Dainty - just bits and pieces when I need them. I'll remember that in future!! :)

Personally, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after some VERY bad service from them a few years ago.

I first used them 2 years ago for a custom printed vinyl banner and a "balloon drop net" (these are a complete nightmare if anyone was thinking of doing balloon-drops then my advice is DON'T!!). I ordered it on the Tuesday and it arrived on the Friday which I thought was an excellent turnaround. I've never had cause to complain since, but then again, my orders have always been web orders so I've never had cause to contact them by phone or letter, either. Maybe I've just been lucky.

funkymook
20-10-2011, 01:20 PM
"balloon drop net" (these are a complete nightmare if anyone was thinking of doing balloon-drops then my advice is DON'T!!).

especially if you fill them with helium!

DazzyD
20-10-2011, 09:04 PM
especially if you fill them with helium!

:rofl:

Good one!

That thought had never even crossed my mind, though. It's just the nets are a complete nightmare to fix to the ceiling especially when the venue take great offence at drilling holes!! :eek: