PDA

View Full Version : Wedding games/activities ideas??

yourdj
17-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I think games is not the best word, But what do you do at weddings to keep people entertained (if anything)?

I occasionally do a dance off against girls and boys, hen do track etc.

Just asking as I did a generation dance the other day which worked very well.
I formally introduced it by walking out amongst people explaining what to do.

Ie married couple leave the floor when they have been married under a certain amount of years. Basically the two people left (ie the oldest) have to give the bride and groom some advice.

What activities have worked for you at weddings best then?

Shakermaker Promotions
17-10-2011, 06:32 PM
I think that sometimes, stuff like that can come across as very cheesy. It's just my personal opinion. I don't tend to do games and concentrate on the music as I think that's the important thing. If you do them and they work for you and people enjoy them, great stuff.

It also depends on whether you are at the wedding all day or not. One of the things I am promoting is extra services. One of these is the 'At the Races' service which can kill those couple of hours before the evening entertainment begins. I have a booking for it next year. If it's done properly, it can be a great little bit of entertainment and dare I say it.....boredom killer. Everything can be tailored around the Bride & Groom and their guests. The Race programme can be designed around them and their guests can name the horses etc etc...

I've also looked into the Giant Games things too. Most of my wedding bookings aren't for all day so I don't tend to be there until I need to but I will be really pushing it forward in the new year and will try to earn as much as I can at the weekends / functions.

CRAZY K
17-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I think games is not the best word, But what do you do at weddings to keep people entertained (if anything)?

What activities have worked for you at weddings best then?

I usually find after my usual repertoire of Barn and Line Dances--theres not a lot left--

Limbo Competition is good though.

Im sure Gary ( Mr Mayhem) can give some excellent ideas. :D

DerekPen
09-11-2011, 09:14 AM
If you understand that, on average at any wedding reception your audience is made up of the following;

One third of the guests are not dancers and are only there because of family obligations.

One third are party people and will be up for a dance depending on your music selection.

the remaining third are undecided. They may dance or may not depending on whether they feel "Included" and that you will respond positivly to their "Requests".

therefor good wedding entertainment needs to be much more than just "Music" especially in the early part of the evening.

Any form of "Interaction" which focuses on involvment for eveyone has to be a good thing.

Late in the evening the music will speak for itself.

"Its not WHAT you do, It's HOW you do it, that gets results!"

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2011, 10:54 AM
If you understand that, on average at any wedding reception your audience is made up of the following;

One third of the guests are not dancers and are only there because of family obligations.

One third are party people and will be up for a dance depending on your music selection.

the remaining third are undecided. They may dance or may not depending on whether they feel "Included" and that you will respond positivly to their "Requests".

Interesting.

Where do you obtain those figures from though Derek or is this just an assumption?

DerekPen
09-11-2011, 11:40 AM
The percentages are very approximate and are based on observations at the hundreds of wedding receptions I have attended.

regardles of the accuracy it's a good way to approach the "Difference" of a wedding reception to any other kind of party.

When you consider the age range and the different mix of close family, distant relatives and their partners together with friends of B&G, work colleagues, neighbours, not to mention kids of all shapes and sizes, you have a very diverse group with their own agendas.

To assume that they are all up for a party would be a big mistake.
great if it happens to be the case, but an exception rather than the rule.

If you know you have a third in the bag and are prepared to accommodate another third by being "flexable" then you have a good chance of getting through and connecting with the majority of the people at the event.

Just my personal observations and the way I approach wedding reception entertainment.