PDA

View Full Version : Review - Greenwich instruments GWDMX - A programmable CA8!!

yourdj
21-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Well I must say I looked at this back in march and thought "this is too good to be true"
A standalone device that can program a sequence of scenes (just like a standalone unite like transcention) but all in one tiny little box!

Well I did met them at the BPM show (as they were next to the bar at our little meeting point :p ) and they are thoroughly nice guys.

Works a treat for my requirements. :)

GWDMX DMX LIGHTING CONTROLLER - DJ MOBILE DISCO CA8 - GREENWICH INSTRUMENTS - YouTube

http://www.greenwichinst.com/

Alchemy
21-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Great review Toby, I normally use a DMX Master controller but I think I might buy one for smaller gigs, how much did it cost?

Jiggles
21-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I can see a use for their wall mountable ones. Can it do fades between button presses? IE you are on button one, press button 3 and it will fade into the program on button three?

Mark Wild
21-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Cracking little review, handy little thing for DMX dunces like me.

yourdj
22-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Great review Toby, I normally use a DMX Master controller but I think I might buy one for smaller gigs, how much did it cost?
£100 ish It was £90 at the show.

You can purchase it here: http://www.greenwichinst.co.uk/products/GWDMX

I can see a use for their wall mountable ones. Can it do fades between button presses? IE you are on button one, press button 3 and it will fade into the program on button three?
Yes it does do the fades you can set it up to ten seconds I think?

Cracking little review, handy little thing for DMX dunces like me.

yes I fit in that category. The new user friendly software will be an improvement.

Here are a few specs:

DMX Lighting Controller, Lighting DMX, Handheld Controller
Small and simple DMX lighting controller. Quick and easy to setup and use, can be used with or without a computer. Ideal for DMX lighting hire systems, DJ's, bands, pubs, clubs, theatres, etc.

Mini-DMX controller supplied with: 5V USB power supply, USB lead, Software CDROM.

Features

Powered via USB
Low power consumption
Ten programmable buttons
Built-in Microphone
0.1s (100 milliseconds) timer for fade and scene change timing
DMX-512 Compatible
On-board FLASH Memory for storing sequences
Windows XP, Vista and 7 (32 and 64-bit) Compatible
Robust metal box
Specifications

Supply5V, ~60mA
Dimensions85 x 51 x 23 mm
Weight300 grams
DMX Control Channels192
USB ConnectionUSB-B
DMX Lead Length50cm
DMX Connector3-pin XLRF

Glenski
22-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Mmmmm nice one Toby :) may well have to sell my Acme DMX Master I and my Velleman USB DMX interface to get me one of these :)

Thanks

Glenn

yourdj
22-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Mmmmm nice one Toby :) may well have to sell my Acme DMX Master I and my Velleman USB DMX interface to get me one of these :)

Thanks

Glenn

I like it as it looks like its been made in some blokes garage (probably called Clive). They have thought of pretty much everything too. Like Ryger they are an english company with a good product so im my book deserve recognition. :)

yourdj
23-10-2011, 11:58 AM
First outing last night on the settings I had it on in the video (I even forgot to reset the blackout button)
and all I can say is it is pretty much perfect for what I need it for. Excellent :)

Could do with lights on the buttons to know which one is currently active and it did turn off a couple of times (but the lights stayed on the last setting) - quick power reset sorted that. Would also be great to see it with batteries and wireless. I am looking in to modding it to facilitate that, but all in all an excellent piece of kit! :)

-

Shakermaker Promotions
23-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Nice little review there and just like you Toby, I'm also a DMX Dunce.
Couple of questions....
You say that you can pre-program everything at home and then take it out on the road. Do you need to have a laptop out there with you. What I mean is, will it work independently on it's own when it's just DMX'd to the lights?

Also, If you wanted to use your laptop as a source of power for it, will it intefere with VDJ or whatever you are running?

Lastly, I bought MYDMX and didn't even use it out on the road. I sold it around 2 weeks after I bought it because I couldn't get my head around it. This looks much easier. So, just like MYDMX, does this have a list of fixtures so that you can choose from them? Sorry mate and I know it was a quick review but you didn't mention how you would go about assigning your fixtures and what to do if the fixture isn't on there.

I like the look of it. I am only using 6 effects now on the top bar and only 2 of those are DMXable (Revo III's) but I use panels behind me and it could be used for those and maybe Uplighting?

Cheers

WWDJ
23-10-2011, 12:17 PM
First outing last night on the settings I had it on in the video (I even forgot to reset the blackout button)
and all I can say is it is pretty much perfect for what I need it for. Excellent :)

Could do with lights on the buttons to know which one is currently active and it did turn off a couple of times (but the lights stayed on the last setting) - quick power reset sorted that. Would also be great to see it with batteries and wireless. I am looking in to modding it to facilitate that, but all in all an excellent piece of kit! :)

-

I like the principle of it, but some sort of app for the ipod touch, iphone, ipad would offer lots more flexibility I think? I don't anything exists though.

Jiggles
23-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I like the principle of it, but some sort of app for the ipod touch, iphone, ipad would offer lots more flexibility I think? I don't anything exists though.

It kind of does but in the high end pro desks. ETC ion and Chamsys desks to name two. Of you were clever enough a remote desktop app on an iPad or iPhone open up the execute screen and use that.

yourdj
28-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Do you need to have a laptop out there with you. What I mean is, will it work independently on it's own when it's just DMX'd to the lights?

Also, If you wanted to use your laptop as a source of power for it, will it intefere with VDJ or whatever you are running?

nope just the unit. Better to use the plug usb than the power from the laptop.
I am sure you can also mount a battery of the same power like the ones to top up mobiles.

luminair is the next best thing but this is more than adequate and for the price a bargain!

On a negative two buttons have randomly changed to something else on a couple of occasions but that can be reset in windows if you use windows or take a back up.

Here is a video using it:

STANWELL HOUSE HOTEL LYMINGTON WEDDING DJ DISCO THE NEW FOREST - YouTube

supersound
28-11-2011, 12:39 PM
dare I say it but it actually tames the manic programming of the impossiled.
Well done Toby

welby
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
What a great little unit - I usually take out a netbook and a dmx dongle.

This seems a whole lot better.

Thanks for the review.

ps I love the way you mount the mirror ball - is the light fixture on the stand as well?

Kernow
13-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I like it as it looks like its been made in some blokes garage (probably called Clive). They have thought of pretty much everything too. Like Ryger they are an english company with a good product so im my book deserve recognition. :)

Not to mention the USP, with Greenwich Instruments you can guarantee your customers a mean time ;)

Shaun
13-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Not to mention the USP, with Greenwich Instruments you can guarantee your customers a mean time ;)

<insert groan here>

:D

yourdj
13-12-2011, 11:46 PM
ps I love the way you mount the mirror ball - is the light fixture on the stand as well?

Its on an ultimax atlas stand:

I have even done a video for that too :p

MIRRORBALL - BARTLEY LODGE - wedding DJ Master of Ceremonies - The New Forest - YouTube

I don't get it :confused:

Edit - just did - mean time as in the time calculation from greenwich :lol: I will tell them that as marketing does not seem to be their strong point :D

I must say the main negative is the odd button does occasionally decide to randomly change to random settings!
It needs resetting in windows and as I have a mac have to boot a separate program which is a pain and something I would not do when live.
as it happens button 3 changed to a great random setting which really suited the night last night as I had a huge hall full of 30 kids :D

welby
31-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Its on an ultimax atlas stand:

Thanks Toby, but how are you mounting the light?

also on the DMX controller can you assign scenes higher than 9 or is that it? Just 1-9 and 0?

Thanks.

Mark

Peter Lockwood
31-01-2012, 06:28 PM
If you are a NADJ member we have a £10 discount offer all you need to do is log in the Benefits section of the NADJ site

yourdj
31-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Also see promobile for a review this month.

Assuming i get it in for the 1st feb deadline :)

(15 minutes to go and still have not spell checked it)

Glenski
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Well my little DMX controller from Greenwich finally arrived today :) so hopefully i'll have a little play with it over the next couple of days :)

Thanks

chrispeacock
15-05-2012, 09:48 PM
how are you finding this little unit is now treating you. Im seriously thinking of getting 1 for my lightshow. can it be used with halogen aswel as led lights

Jiggles
15-05-2012, 09:56 PM
how are you finding this little unit is now treating you. Im seriously thinking of getting 1 for my lightshow. can it be used with halogen aswel as led lights

If its DMX it will be compatible from a simple dimmer to a 30 channel moving head!

Corabar Steve
16-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Easiest DMX controller I've ever used. Especially if you have room to set the lights in question up & program with the live output.

Woodyo
18-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Decided to get one .... great unit , easy to use , works great looking forward to using it on the road ..... Bloody freezing in my garage?

yourdj
19-01-2014, 08:08 AM
You won't look back. For the price its totally invaluable for my requirements.
I might get another one for LED uplighter only gigs, as the settings for all the lights are a bit passive and the colours limited.

Brian A Crossland
19-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Who's selling these and how much.

Corabar Steve
19-01-2014, 11:16 AM
http://www.greenwichinst.co.uk/products/GWDMX

yourdj
19-01-2014, 04:46 PM
They are not retailing from the producer now for some reason??

A DJ store was selling them but I can't find it - I am sure its in these posts?

yourdj
20-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Emailed them but not heard anything back as of yet?

Jem
21-01-2014, 01:34 PM
The distributor I purchased mine through was...

Batmink Distribution
Beckery Road
Glastonbury
BA6 9NX

Tel: 01458 833186

www.batmink.co.uk

[email protected]

Corabar Steve
21-01-2014, 05:51 PM
The distributor I purchased mine through was...

Batmink Distribution
Beckery Road
Glastonbury
BA6 9NX

Tel: 01458 833186

www.batmink.co.uk (http://www.batmink.co.uk)

[email protected]

I don't think they're a stockist any more.

Mr Spyke
23-01-2014, 09:02 PM
I believe these fellows are now stockists http://www.djdealer.co.uk according to Tony from GW

And at a slightly lower price than Batmink :D

yourdj
23-01-2014, 09:31 PM
It's the same price Jon I think?

just to think i got mine for £80 in the early days ;)

http://www.djdealer.co.uk/lighting/dmx_controllers_dimmers_and_accessories/gw_dmx/gwdmx_handheld_usb_programmable_dmx_lighting_contr oller_P1238.html

yourdj
25-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Warning.

My one and two of my friends ones have totally frozen on the software and apparently need to go back to richard to be flashed or something? I assume this is why they are not retailing them any more? Luckily buy friend had a spare so I can use that one tomorrow night :(

Its a shame really and i hope they sort it out.

yourdj
18-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Update.

using it now and my one just keeps freezing mid gig.
Richard is apparently not communicating anymore, so yes great product and it still works with the power being plugged in and out, but you will not get any support.

Shame really as its the best option out. won't be too long before a decent app comes out of the same standard for iPad.

I am no longer promoting this product :lol:

mantisirl
04-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I had just found the answer to my DMX problems and now it seems that it's not reliable. Your videos on the controller were great and I was reaching for my card to put in an order. What do you recommend instead? Is there something similar on the market from another manufacturer?

Mantis

yourdj
05-07-2014, 12:43 AM
I had just found the answer to my DMX problems and now it seems that it's not reliable. Your videos on the controller were great and I was reaching for my card to put in an order. What do you recommend instead? Is there something similar on the market from another manufacturer?

Mantis

No not that I know of :p

I have bought another one from Tony actually as a par can only controller. They are great till they jam.
I think a decent iPhone app will supersede all this before too long.

mantisirl
05-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I've just been reading about Show Xpress and they seem to have something running on a phone / ipad. It needs to be connected on a network to your computer to act as a controller if I'm reading it right. It also comes with the price tag to match.

For convienence I might still grab a GWDMX. It's simplicity and portability is the key.

Mantis

yourdj
06-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I've just been reading about Show Xpress and they seem to have something running on a phone / ipad. It needs to be connected on a network to your computer to act as a controller if I'm reading it right. It also comes with the price tag to match.

For convienence I might still grab a GWDMX. It's simplicity and portability is the key.

Mantis

Apart from the freeze ups and lack of support its probably one of the most cost effective pieces of kit I have bought so I recommend it. :)

Corabar Steve
06-07-2014, 11:57 PM
The freeze is easy to remedy in milliseconds, just pull the USB out & stick it back in.

As for support, when one of ours went wrong, I phoned them in the morning took it to them at lunchtime & was home with a working one by 2:30. OK I live within driving distance of them, but that's still bloody good.

yourdj
07-07-2014, 11:52 AM
The freeze is easy to remedy in milliseconds, just pull the USB out & stick it back in.

As for support, when one of ours went wrong, I phoned them in the morning took it to them at lunchtime & was home with a working one by 2:30. OK I live within driving distance of them, but that's still bloody good.

Nope the freeze occurs on the software and it jams the unit. you have to send it back to them to get it flashed or something?
The one at gigs is OK and happens a few times a night, but should not happen at all IMO.

That is good service and they are great guys. When did you get support Steve? :)

I have sent them over four emails (within the last 6 months) with no reply and my friend must have tried to contact them in every possible way with nothing too. They were very good with him up until about 1 year or so and have not got back to him or myself once. He now has 2 dead units and only one that works, so there is a definite issue with the hardware! As I say if you get a good one then I suggest you program it once and leave it at that, as it seems that it happens after a few times? You would have to ask my friend more about it as he does all my DMX. He is a member here.

They should have sold far more units than they have - worldwide, its a shame really as its largely a very well conceived and solid product.

Corabar Steve
07-07-2014, 01:22 PM
November.

Never had an issue when connected to the software, the only freeze I've had was while it was in use & that is fixed as detailed above.

mantisirl
09-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Out of curiosity, does the controller in software mode work with any other software like Freestyler. Just wondering, as the main reason I'm looking in to this is initially to control a Kam Laserscan 1000 for which freestyler has a fixture setup.

Shaun
11-07-2015, 11:44 AM
The dreaded 'Freeze Up' has occurred in mine. I've used it a total of 4 times. It's completely non responsive and the software can't see it.

Nakatomi
11-07-2015, 03:09 PM
The dreaded 'Freeze Up' has occurred in mine. I've used it a total of 4 times. It's completely non responsive and the software can't see it.

Sounds very much like the problem I had on Windows 7 with the cheap DMX adapter I bought. The problem in my case is the USB to serial converter chip isn't a genuine chip - it's masquerading as a chip made by FTDI. Windows update, when it goes to grab drivers for new devices sees that it says it's an FTDI device & installs the FTDI driver... which then goes & detects it as non-genuine & writes its usb product ID to all zeros meaning your light control software doesn't see it. You can reprogram the USB product ID under Linux really quickly & easily but once it gets borked by windows update & the FTDI driver it'll get borked every time you boot up with it plugged in.

The solution? Buy a more expensive adapter, or run Linux on yer light control machine :P For what it's worth, I really like QLC+. Very easy to use both in terms of setting up new fixture profiles and scenes etc

yourdj
11-07-2015, 03:43 PM

New versions of this sort of thing are emerging now, so it won't be long before something similar comes out of you can use an iPad app. :)
I would bin it as you won't have a chance in hell of getting hold of richard. My assistant has 3-4 broken ones now.
I thankfully have 2 working ones and i am not touching them at all. ;)

- I had a lucky escape there as i was going to buy 100 of them (at retail rate) and sell them separately, because Greenwich were so crap at marketing the product. assuming the freeze thing was sorted, they could have sold millions of them worldwide at a reasonable rate (circa mydmx cost). Muppets.

yourdj
11-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Damn, just turned the power out for a new double USB plug and the button it was on has been wiped.
Me and my big mouth :p

Got the spare one, so leave the main oe as back up, unless I loose more buttons ;)