PDA

View Full Version : Kids party, help

super-hero
22-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I have been asked to do a school disco in a couple of weeks time. It's for a friend of mine, and I will be doing it for free.

School discos are not my regular thing, and I need a bit of help with the music selection.
I'm sure the latest few Now albums will have many of the songs the kids like, but can you guys suggest some current songs for 8 to 12 year olds.

Thanks.

Silver
22-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I would suggest you have Jls, Rihanna, Beyonce, Gaga, all the chart stuff from the last three months or so and do one thing .......... Ask for requests!

Children at that age are not backward at coming forward, if you ask them, they will tell you. It then becomes easy as they are not worried about beatmatching or perfect flow. All they will want to do is show their moves and giggle.

Once you have asked for requests your playlist will be sorted for the night. :D

super-hero
22-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Exactly what I thought.

I was just wondering if there are any "must have" tunes for kids at the minute.

Thanks for the reply.

discomobiledj
22-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Top 40

chrisj
23-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Justin Beiber tracks are a 'must have' for this age.

Ryu
23-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Ensure you have...
One Direction - That's what makes you Beautful
Pixie Lott - All About Tonight.

supersound
23-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Use now albums or Mastermix Digital as they have the radio edits on them,Kids love to ask for explicit songs as they think its cool and think its clever to catch the DJ out.

Paul

funkymook
23-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Are you planning on doing any games with them?

First one I did one as a favour and despite making it clear I wasn't a children's entertainer and just do a disco, when I arrived was handed loads of prizes to give out. So be prepared and have a few simple game ideas ready. (I winged it and actually really enjoyed myself).

And I also found I wasn't told there was a theme - so worth checking.

Check all songs are radio friendly clean versions.
I used the recent Now compilations and classics like Thriller, Barbie Girl etc. And some kids TV show songs are a must (Spongebob went down a treat).

Also had one little lad ask for AC/DC - didn't play any but shook his dad's hand!

Edit - just seen the age range so some of that might not apply - but I'd still check they're not going to have younger kids there - the school I sometimes do has a habit of making it up as they go along.

super-hero
24-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Cheers guys, much appreciated.

super-hero
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the help. The party was a great success. And I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

partyprincesz
10-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Hey nice ideas shared.. I can use some of these to my daughters next birthday.. :)