PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

spin mobile disco
25-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Ok i've been given a disco for a cricket club holding an end of season awards presentation. Its being held in a hotel/pub in Northampton.

Went there today to check out venue , can use smoke etc when I was told by the staff that they want me to use their equpment for the gig.

Ok i thought ill check out what they got. Bear in mind this room is no bigger than the lounge in a local pub.

They had 4 18" driver subs 4 Boss pa horns. They used numark cdn35 decks (the old type and I do mean old) but the mixer was shot so they fixed in a maplin prosound mixer in its place. They were playing backgorund music when I went in (no one there and the background was at about 116db)

Basically dont want to diss there stuff but the sound was awful, the equipment in bad repair, a very heavily used DJ booth which hides me away from the people at the gig. Most of their in house lighting was resting on the dj booth or on the speaker cabs (no poles just sitting on floor in a big pile of all 4 cabs)

I spend a lot of time making sure my equipment looks and sounds nice, and I do not really want to use their equipment because I think if I do the customer will be disapointed. But on the plus side all I need to take is my CD's if I use their system.
Any advice, what would you do. Their sound system sounds like its muffled by carpet but really loud. Mine is peavey full range cabs with 97db effiency clear as a bell with cdn 88's and a numark rack mixer. With EQ's and high and low pass filter. I have full goalpost system with matched lighting they have some lighting on a speaker?

Help what should I do go for path of least resistance, or go for my prefered option of taking all my gear and trying to fit it around theirs?

Shaun
25-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Just let them know that you only ever use your own equipment as you have it tweaked to your own requirements. Thank them for their offer of using the "house equipment" but decline.

Corabar Entertainment
25-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Talk to your clients and explain the situation. Say that you would very much prefer to use your equipment as you think it will be a much better show for them - then you can let them argue it out with the venue! :omg:

A1DL
25-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok i've been given a disco for a cricket club holding an end of season awards presentation. Its being held in a hotel/pub in Northampton.

Went there today to check out venue , can use smoke etc when I was told by the staff that they want me to use their equpment for the gig..........

...........Help what should I do go for path of least resistance, or go for my prefered option of taking all my gear and trying to fit it around theirs?

Is your contract with the Cricket Club or the Hotel?

Think about liability in event of failure.

If your Contract is with the Cricket Club, then I expect part of this contract is for YOU to provide "suitable sound and lighting equipment in good condition" or something along those lines.

HTH

tony :beer:

spin mobile disco
25-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Contract is with cricket club, and technically yes it says we will provide 'entertainment and DJ' in contract

A1DL
25-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Contract is with cricket club, and technically yes it says we will provide 'entertainment and DJ' in contract

Well I would positively say use your own equipment for several reasons, first and foremost because should the venue's equipment fail, you will likely be in breach of contract, and the venue can simply shrug their shoulders. Also, you have indicated you are happier working with the equipment you know and trust, and using inferior equipment may impair your performance.

spin mobile disco
25-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah I must admit I do prefer using my own equipment, downside is where to hide all their stuff. Ill take a big cloth put it over and swear blind its a table.

Candybeatdiscos
25-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Also is thier equipment insured for you to use - what would happen if you were carrying a rather large mallet (for whatever reason) and it fell onto the equipment? you never know these days - your best use your own stuff just in case

Shaun
25-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Also is thier equipment insured for you to use - what would happen if you were carrying a rather large mallet (for whatever reason) and it fell onto the equipment? you never know these days - your best use your own stuff just in case

I always carry a large mallet to gigs with me..dunno about you lot :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I always carry a large mallet to gigs with me..dunno about you lot :D

I didn't know you played croquet Shaun? :teeth:

Danno13
25-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I didn't know you played croquet Shaun?

Or is it Timmy...???

Taxi...

ian8limelight
25-09-2006, 10:32 PM
This reminds me of working on the cruise ships playing "Itsy Bitsy .......... "

Shaun
25-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I didn't know you played croquet Shaun? :teeth:

Nothing like a good game of Scottish Croquet. all you need is 1x large hammer or mallet and an assortment of "volunteer" knee-caps. It's a regular weekend sport on the cold drab streets of yer average scot's town/city. Goes down well with a deep fried mars bar in batter and a bottle of Irn Bru.

Shaun
25-09-2006, 10:34 PM
This reminds me of working on the cruise ships playing "Itsy Bitsy .......... "

Praying for Icebergs no doubt. :embarasse :)

ian8limelight
25-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Praying for Icebergs no doubt. :embarasse :)

NO - shore leave !!!!!!!!!

Shaun
25-09-2006, 10:38 PM
You'ld need sick leave after subjecting yourself to that kinda torture ;)

ian8limelight
25-09-2006, 10:51 PM
You'ld need sick leave after subjecting yourself to that kinda torture ;)

What, working on the ships or Timmy Mallett ? :teeth:

Shaun
25-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Timmy Mallett :D.

I would imagine the cruise ships would be a lot of fun...no?