PDA

View Full Version : What Car?

welby
06-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi,

Currently using a 7 seater - Vauxhall Zafira SRI (Petrol) to carry all the mobile disco in at the moment, but to be honest the costs of running it as a disco/family car are becoming impractical.

I know probably the best option is a Diesel Van, but as we have another car (2 seater) for our "fun car" so a third vehicle is not currently an option. I also considered a trailer but we have no secure storage for that.

I was wondering what car you are using as "Mobile Disco Transporter" and a "Family Car".

Any sensible suggestions please?

Thank you.

yourdj
06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Any Dielsel estate or people carrier will suffice. You do have the added danger of being crushed if you crash as they have no bulkhead however.

I just bought my girlfriend a Pegeuot 406 estate and its massive!
Bigger than my van infact.

NKR
06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I would not be transporting kit in a car. In a crash at 60 even a mobile phone coming off a parcel shelf could kill you. Never mind a tonne of DJ gear. Get a trailer or a van.

welby
06-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I would not be transporting kit in a car. In a crash at 60 even a mobile phone coming off a parcel shelf could kill you. Never mind a tonne of DJ gear. Get a trailer or a van.

Thanks, but a trailer is a no as I have no secure storage and I don't take out a tonne of DJ gear as I work mostly as a small mobile outfit and never stack the car higher than the seats.

Incidently the folded rear seat act as a bulkhead and so long as you don't stack over the seat level it should be relatively safe in my opinion.

I am looking for suggestions for a "suitable car/estate" that can double as a family car

chrisj
06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
My wife uses a Peugeot 306 estate which has a lot of room with the rear seats down but I never use it for disco. I use a Citroen Relay 1.9d van as it is safer with a bulkhead. Glad of this as I had to brake very hard Friday night as someone came through red lights in front of me and I heard somthing hit the bulkhead.

Get serious and sell this 'but as we have another car (2 seater) for our "fun car"

NKR
06-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks, but a trailer is a no as I have no secure storage and I don't take out a tonne of DJ gear as I work mostly as a small mobile outfit and never stack the car higher than the seats.

Incidently the folded rear seat act as a bulkhead and so long as you don't stack over the seat level it should be relatively safe in my opinion.

I am looking for suggestions for a "suitable car/estate" that can double as a family car

That isn't a bulhead, but its your call.

mattydinx
06-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I've got an '08 Volvo V50 1.8 which is more than adequate for my needs.
I get around 35 mpg on average, not the best but what do you expect for a petrol.

The newer VW Bluemotion range are supposed to have great fuel economy.

Sapphire Disco
06-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I've looked into this myself and in my opinion the best choices are.

Mondeo or Vectra estate diesel = good MPG parts & servicing & insurance, both plenty of room with seats down Vectra has slightly more room.
As mentioned no bulkhead, I make my own Ultimax stand pieces across the back of the front seats then speakers across the back behind that, not perfect but better than nothing.

yourdj
06-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Incidently the folded rear seat act as a bulkhead and so long as you don't stack ov

One word - Projectiles ;) Have a look on youtube at the crash tests. I did a short seminar on it and it was not pretty.
I have a half steel bulkhead but screwed an MDF one in to the ceiling.

I make my own Ultimax stand pieces across the back of the front seats then speakers across the back behind that, not perfect but better than nothing.

Another urban Myth. Seats do not make good barriers - even in a head on at 30 miles an hour. better than nothing.
Your seatbelt and body will make a better barrier :(

I would personally get an estate and secure an thick MDF (1/2 inch) bulkhead too the chassy, window bits behind your shoulders and roof.

Make a removable one but a fixed one is much better.

Andy Goodtimes
08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I actually tow a trailer most of the time but do use a large extended Luton for large jobs, however, I have just bought a new Insignia SRI Sports tourer and am very impressed, its the 160bhp 2.0 diesel so loads of power and fairly cheap to run, it tows really well and although I don't cary kit inside it it does have lots of space. I do agree that a bulkhead is a potential life saver and I know there are mounting points to fix a dog guard behind the front seats as well as behind the rear seats but dunno how secure one would be and how quickly it can be removed for family use of the car.

Don't laugh but my Wife has a Kia Sole Tempist, it is a 1.6 Diesel with 126bhp and as its the Tempist model its got big black alloys and some nice toys, it is actually very deceiving inside, with the rear seats down it has lots of space, I think one of those is well worth a look and don't be fooled into thinking they are still as bad as when they first came into the Uk with models such as the Pride, her last car was a 1.4 Jazz I-Shift and the one before that was a 1.6 Note and I think the Kia is better built than both of them.

When I bought the Insignia another car that nearly tempted me was the Orlando LTZ 163bhp diesel, nice car and lots less money than the Insignia but eventually I decided to stay with what I considered to be a better established brand.

CRAZY K
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Ford Galaxy.

Loving mine:D :D :D

DJDC
08-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Pug 807 take what seats out depending on the rig

Cowlinn
08-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Fiat Multipla.

AndyC
08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 diesel and get 42 miles to the gallon, the road tax is also cheaper than the petrol versions, had it about 3 years never struggled to get the gear in and of course 7 seats

Andy

paulg
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Mondeo estate - huge

Sapphire Disco
08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Mondeo estate - huge

Me too but next time I think I'm going for a Vectra it's the hugest.

djdave01
09-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Ford Galaxy.

Loving mine:D :D :D

ive got a galaxy too, think its great.

mines getting a bit passed it now, but will replace with another one

katman
09-11-2011, 11:38 AM
ive got a galaxy too, think its great.

mines getting a bit passed it now, but will replace with another one

Do you take all 5 seats out or just the rear two and then tip the centre three as a bulkhead ?

Planning on using my Galaxy once I get back on the road at least until I can afford a small van.

djdave01
09-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Do you take all 5 seats out or just the rear two and then tip the centre three as a bulkhead ?

Planning on using my Galaxy once I get back on the road at least until I can afford a small van.

Usually just tip the centre three forward. For smaller gigs i can get all the gear in the boot space with the three centre seats upright.

CRAZY K
09-11-2011, 03:48 PM

For Disco gigs involving lighting and the subs I just take out all 5 rear sets--its then a van;)

Very easy to take out and put in--after practice.:D

Loving 6th gear---Motorway eater!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2011, 04:31 PM
For Disco gigs involving lighting and the subs I just take out all 5 rear sets--its then a van;)

No, it's a car with the seats removed...;)

katman
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Very easy to take out and put in--after practice.:D

Loving 6th gear---Motorway eater!!

Taken mine out loads of times. Took over a ton of rubble to the tip after I removed a reed a plaster wall in the bedroom.

A few months ago, came home from work, took the seats out and did a 340 mile round trip to Derby to pick up a three piece suite. (Reclining Armchair and 2 seater reclining sofa)

Definately a superb vehicle even if mine it a thirsty 2.0 Mk 1 Petrol.

Just need some motorways now !!!

CRAZY K
09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
No, it's a car with the seats removed...;)

Getting technical--I suppose its an MPV really:D :D

djdave01
10-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Taken mine out loads of times. Took over a ton of rubble to the tip after I removed a reed a plaster wall in the bedroom.

A few months ago, came home from work, took the seats out and did a 340 mile round trip to Derby to pick up a three piece suite. (Reclining Armchair and 2 seater reclining sofa)

Definately a superb vehicle even if mine it a thirsty 2.0 Mk 1 Petrol.

Just need some motorways now !!!

Mine is very thirsty too, 2.3 petrol, old 'R' reg model. Plan to get a diesel next time

katman
10-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Mine is very thirsty too, 2.3 petrol, old 'R' reg model. Plan to get a diesel next time

It still gives better MPG than my old 2 litre Mk2 Transit used to though. I probably wouldnt be complaining if I was still paying 1993 prices for fuel!

DiscoMagic
10-11-2011, 09:52 AM
The best solution for your needs is a Mercedes Vito Dualiner LWB. With two rows of seats and a "Van" in the rear with bulkhead its a great solution all round - but not cheap.

http://www.rossettscommercials.co.uk/Resources/Vito%20Dualiner%20Blue.jpg

If anyone want more info on this let me know (I work for Mercedes for my "day job").

Glasgowdjhire
09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Hey guys

Im looking at buying a new vehicle for transporting mobile disco equipment.
This may consist of x2 parties/ functions in the one load.

I dont really want to get a van and have been looking at an estate or the Vauxhall Zafira.
Any comments or suggestions much appreciated
Graeme

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I dont really want to get a van

Why?

Excalibur
09-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I dont really want to get a van

Why?

Because he can't face the stigma of becoming White Van Man? :whistle: :D :D :D :D

Glasgowdjhire
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Haha.. Because it would replace my everyday car

Get Me A DJ
10-01-2012, 03:09 AM
I use a Hyundai Matrix with the seats taken out.
Loads of room to fit two rigs in it without a problem
If packed properly, you can build your own bulkhead so there's no need to go down the route of fixing MDF bulkheads etc as this will depreciate the value of the vehicle.
Mind you, with the wear and tear of pulling gear in and out, the battle bus is starting to look a little rough round the edges.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Bought this in March to replace my ageing Volvo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSC08044.jpg
cost 10.999 no vat 3 years everything and so far its fab
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSC08046.jpg
Gives 45 per Gall with Speakers n Bass Bin or 50 Without the 3.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSC07946.jpg
Twas the 1600 Mpi Cheapo model with the VW Petrol engine.
Allthough i was Very fond of my 13 year old Volvo for the money its a great car .( also i think theres the offer still on too!)
Cheers

Pink Elephant
10-01-2012, 08:32 AM
By all accounts other van colours are available - even though ours are white :daft:

yourdj
10-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Another urban Myth. Seats do not make good barriers - even in a head on at 30 miles an hour. better than nothing.
Your seatbelt and body will make a better barrier :(

Top marks for the Zafira/Touran!!! Its quite simply an excellent multi car for gear/kids/dogs/the dump.
I take back my comment too as the seats are proper solid when folded forward :p I would still put a big thic bit of mdf in there.

I have found that is pretty expensive to run on fuel? My van has the same engine (astra) and its much cheaper.
This is not such a big issue as I make my own desiel. I assume its much heavier??

Look at the astra estate as thats pretty much the same as the van but with seats. Get a diesel too.
I have a 2 litre DT 16 valve.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
If packed properly, you can build your own bulkhead so there's no need to go down the route of fixing MDF bulkheads etc as this will depreciate the value of the vehicle.

Sorry, but that is very dangerous advice.

Get Me A DJ
10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Sorry, but that is very dangerous advice.

In what way?

I will agree with you if small items are placed in a position that in the event of a crash they will fly forward. But BIG items that are wedged in and will not move in the event of a crash could be placed to act as a barrier in the event of an accident.
I'm talking about large bass bins, not 12" speaker cabs.
If push comes to shove, a temporary board "could" be placed to act as a bulkhead, but my point was that there's no point in screwing stuff to the internals of a car thus devaluing it.

Hope it clears things up.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I will agree with you if small items are placed in a position that in the event of a crash they will fly forward. But BIG items that are wedged in and will not move in the event of a crash could be placed to act as a barrier in the event of an accident.

Sorry, I don't think you're right. Someone posted facts and figures and videos about this and what you are suggesting is not good advice.

hiltonent
28-01-2013, 04:41 PM
I use a Peugeot partner car really good space and height :)

http://parkers.bauercdn.com/Images/Archive/Peugeot/Partner%20Combi/11073172.jpg

bmdj
28-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Bought this in March to replace my ageing Volvo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSC08044.jpg
cost 10.999 no vat 3 years everything and so far its fab
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSC08046.jpg
Gives 45 per Gall with Speakers n Bass Bin or 50 Without the 3.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSC07946.jpg
Twas the 1600 Mpi Cheapo model with the VW Petrol engine.
Allthough i was Very fond of my 13 year old Volvo for the money its a great car .( also i think theres the offer still on too!)
Cheers
Looks like Dewsbury in the back ground!

teenypops
28-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I have a new Zafira Tourer and it is fab and you can get a cargo net to act as a bit of a bulkhead that fits behind the front seats.

And when the seats are folded it is essentially flatbed

yourdj
28-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I have a new Zafira Tourer and it is fab and you can get a cargo net to act as a bit of a bulkhead that fits behind the front seats.

And when the seats are folded it is essentially flatbed

same here - great car!

welby
27-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Well it has been a while since I posted the original question and guess what?

I am still running with the Vauxhall Zafira but really need to change this year. :rolleyes:

So it's been a while so I am intrigued as to what you are driving now.

Many thanks.

DJColsie
27-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Still the Vauxhall Zafira for me. Cant see me changing in the next couple of years.

mattydj50
28-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Looks like a very popular car, the Zafira. I'm still using mine.

Imagine
28-05-2014, 01:50 PM
A nice big LandRover Discovery for me :)

OK - it's not the most fuel efficient beast on the planet, but I've got one of those rare ones that's reliable (if it can't be fixed with a hammer, then it's an electrical fault :rolleyes:).
It's not only used for the disco by the way.....I'm also a Scout Leader and it's brilliant for moving loads of tents and camping gear around without having to hitch up a trailer...plus I can get it in and out of muddy fields :banana:

Benny Smyth
29-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I used to drive a Renualt Scenic, then a Citroen Xsara Piccaso (both with the seats taken out), but I've had to get a van - a yellow Renault Trafic (ex-AA job). Now I can drive the Citroen for leisure knowing that it's living a much easier life.

Having the van makes things so much simpler. I dread to think of what could have happened if I had an accident in the cars.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-05-2014, 10:50 AM
I dread to think of what could have happened if I had an accident in the cars.

I've been saying that for years. It doesn't matter how you pack gear either. Van with bulkhead is the safest option. (or a trailer)

Benny Smyth
29-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I've been saying that for years. It doesn't matter how you pack gear either. Van with bulkhead is the safest option. (or a trailer)

The thing is that you don't tend to think like that when you have cars as your only means of transport. I know I certainly didn't.

yourdj
29-05-2014, 11:03 AM
New Zafira with a sport button which is handy as it tightens the whole car up. :)
Still have the old one for back up. My girlfriend uses that.

I agree a van and bulkhead is ideal for safety. It also look professional

Would be nice to see how good the seat bulk head in the Zafira is.
I have done some very hard stops with a bootful and its been solid, but not sure it would stay that way in a crash?

I am not a huge fan of trailers, I have almost had more crashes towing a trailer than any other time I have been driving.
They are also dead easy to nick or break into and a pain in the butt to park or manoeuvre. :)

funktions
31-05-2014, 07:20 PM
not a car option, but I have a vw caddy max td i.. its really nice to drive even fully loaded manage a nice 46 mpg most of the time.