PDA

View Full Version : Registered address

marting
01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Trying to register with the relevant agency for tax etx but have been advised by the lettings agent we rent our house from that I cant use the address to run any form of business from.

Any suggestions please

Dr Spin
01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
You can get a PO Box number, and have the mail delivered to your house. You'll probably need to give your proper address to the Tax people though.

If you have an accountant, you can sometimes use their address.

Danno13
01-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Are you sure by "run a business" they don't just mean setup a shop and have customers there? I'm sure there are plenty of self-employed people running businesses from rented homes, so it seems a strange condition.

Larry B Entertainment
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Are you sure by "run a business" they don't just mean setup a shop and have customers there? I'm sure there are plenty of self-employed people running businesses from rented homes, so it seems a strange condition.

Depends on what his tenancy agreement actually states. I have seem them state that NO form of business whatsoever is to be conducted from the premises. So just by even storing equipment at the premises could be deemed as business purposes and therefore in breach of contract.

You would need to speak to the actual landlord as it is utimately his call. The letting agency will be working on his behalf and instruction. If you dont know the landlords address and contact details, the letting agency have to inform you of them within 14 days of the request.

Charlie Brown
01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
The lettings agent are NOT obliged to supply the landlords address and contact details if they manage the property on behalf of the landlord.

Check your AST. If it states that the agent holds your deposit on behalf of the landlord, 99% of the time it's managed.

marting
01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I have spoken to the lettings agent they are happy for me to store my equipment here but the registered address with companies house must not be here, company house state it must not be a PO box which was the plan

going to speak with a friendly accountant i know and see how they advise going forward.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I have spoken to the lettings agent they are happy for me to store my equipment here but the registered address with companies house must not be here, company house state it must not be a PO box which was the plan

going to speak with a friendly accountant i know and see how they advise going forward.

If you are a limited company and have an accountant, why not use their address as your registered office?

DazzyD
01-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Not strange at all. I work in Housing Benefits for the day job and see loads of tenancy agreements each week. The vast majority I come across have the "no form of business to be carried out on the premises" clause. To make sure you are not in breach of your tenancy agreement, which, ultimately, could lose you your home, you need to ask the landlord to give his/her written permission to waive this condition. Remember, tenancy agreements are legally-binding documents and it would not be in your interests to breach their conditions.

The lettings agent are NOT obliged to supply the landlords address and contact details if they manage the property on behalf of the landlord.

Check your AST. If it states that the agent holds your deposit on behalf of the landlord, 99% of the time it's managed.

The landlord's agent shouldn't be holding the deposit on behalf of the landlord. All deposits now have to be held in one of several government-approved tenancy deposit schemes which protect and guarantee the return of the deposit. This is now law.

Why don't you.....

If you are a limited company and have an accountant, why not use their address as your registered office?

Darn! Darren beat me to it!! :o

Also, you can use your company lawyer's office address as your registered business address or even hire a "virtual office" which you can use. There are several options.

But I still would avoid being in breach of your tenancy agreement!

Charlie Brown
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
The landlord's agent shouldn't be holding the deposit on behalf of the landlord. All deposits now have to be held in one of several government-approved tenancy deposit schemes which protect and guarantee the return of the deposit. This is now law.

Correct BUT the landlord can also register the deposit with a scheme (TDS or similar) It isn't the agents responsibility if it's a 'let only service' (not managed)

DazzyD
01-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Correct BUT the landlord can also register the deposit with a scheme (TDS or similar) It isn't the agents responsibility if it's a 'let only service' (not managed)

I get you now! I thought you were suggesting that the agent was keeping the deposit on behalf of the landlord. My misunderstanding!