PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Northern Ireland

djgordyp
30-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi all.
Just signed up here yesterday and thought for my first post I would bore you all with some background info about myself.

I got into disco's by accident. It was back about 1980-81 when my and a mate of mine were members of our local cb club. A few members of the club had a band and would sometimes play for us. occassionally they wouldn't turn up, so the venue we had our meetings in had a twin turntable & speakers (orange colour) and a few records that we could use. Eventually my mate decided he would buy a twin turntable and some lights and then bought some 45's from someone who was selling up (everything was second hand and very cheap). He then talked me into operating it for him, and not having an outgoing personality, it took some persuading. After a while we were asked to do a birthday party, and from that day on we never looked back. Some people have stated that about 60% of their work comes from word of mouth/recommendations but I am proud to say that 100% of our work came from word of mouth, and there were very few weekend that we weren't out at least one night.
Unfortunatly my mate passed away a couple of years ago and all the gear including the cd's and records were sold off. I would love to have bought it at the time but didn't for 3 reasons. Firstly, I didn't have the space as there was a lot of stuff built up over the years. Secondly, I couldn't afford it. And thirdly, I thought the time had come to call it a day. Now after a short break I would love to go back to it again and have been pricing round on the internet and reckon I could have a reasonable set up for about £1.5 - 1.6K. I'm probably only dreaming here and at 44 may be considered too old to be running disco but hopefully one day things will work out.

I could have went on and on but I think that's enough for now.

Hope to be able to join in some of the discussions at some point.
Bye for now :beer:

leighinstoke
30-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Being frugal, you can probably make 1.5K go far - especially if not bothered about second hand.

Leigh....

Shaun
30-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi Gordy, Welcome to the forum.

I don't think you're too old at all to be getting back into the dj biz. If you do decide to take the plunge back into the dj scene you've come to the right place to get advice .

Enjoy the forum...

musicbox
30-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Gordy
Welcome aboard you will find this very helpful.
Your by far not too old at all, I am 54, and there are more of us at that age about.
There are also dj's older than me out there and still doing a wonderful job.
Enjoy the site

Pete

wensleydale
30-09-2006, 04:17 PM
plenty of cash to spend- i recently bought a new rig for about this- the key is not buying you stuff you can do without and shopping around for the best deal- second hand is not always better as you can get some great deals on new gear- and it is a lot cheaper than it used to be
i got a qsc amp, rcf speakers, vestax mixer, denon cd, eq, and stands and 2 scanners and 2 twisters for that figure- and a giant mirror ball too.

Rattz
30-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi Gordy, nice to finally have someone else form N.I that might actually talk on this forum lol

Corabar Steve
30-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Welcome Gordy :thumbs_up

djgordyp
30-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Well Pete I suppose if Jimmy Saville can do it..... Hi Rattz. Its amazing how many mobile disco's there are around NI both big and small some good some terrible but there always seemed to be enough work to go round. As my mate used to say, when his neighbour started a disco, ' competition is the life of business'..

Now for my first question of many. would a 4ft goalpost stand fold down small enough to fit into the back of a '95 vectra?

Rattz
30-09-2006, 06:21 PM
aye it does, i also found that if ya buy a cheap fishing rod holdall the posts and cross pieces fit perfectly into one, saves paying stupid money for the ultimax carry case.

i carry the whole of my small rig round in the back of a picasso

Corabar Entertainment
02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Hello and welcome!

...as Rattz has said - nice to get another member from NI :)

magicfm
02-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Gordy, welcome.

Nice to see another DJ from home. I'm based in Belfast but hope to relocate to Newry in the next few months or so.

By the way you are never too old to DJ!

Chat to you soon

Den Magic (_8())