PDA

View Full Version : Oran Mor, Glasgow.

Mark Wild
04-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi guys,

I have a gig coming up here and seems it could potentially be a bit of a nightmare, first time here for me and was hoping some of the Scottish lads, who have gigged here previously, might have some advice for me with regards to loading, parking etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) :beer1:

Glasgowdjhire
05-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Hey Mark,

Great venue, your best bet would be to arrive early and park on the Great Western road.
Give them a call there is a rear car park (deliveries etc) see if they will help you out.
0141 357 6200

Good luck!

Mark Wild
07-01-2012, 05:24 PM
The Oran Mor is situated on Great Western Road but the entrance is at the top of Byers Road, there is a 'load in space' enough for 2 cars one behind each other. When I arrived these were taken so I had to find a space on Byers road. When I found a space and went into the venue the co-ordinator said one of the cars was his bosses and they didn't know who the other car belonged to, so I had no choice but to unload onto a very busy pavement and trolley it to the venue bit by bit, obviously having to lock up in between each journey. You definitely need a trolley for this venue ;)

Now the auditoruim is 4 floors up so you will need to use the 'very small' good lifts which are through 2 doors (one needs a code so take door wedges) The goods lifts take you to the upstairs kitchen, on the right is the door which goes straight into the stage area where you need to be.

From where I was parked it was about 200 meters to the goods lifts (I got quite close luckily) To give you an idea of the size of the goods lift, I needed to upend my 4ft deckstand to get it in.

Now parking on Byers Road isn't possible between 4 p.m - 6.30 p.m (traffic warden moved me on) so thank goodness I got there at 2.30 to set up otherwise God only knows what situation I'd have been in, as parking on Great Western is nion impossible and isn't where you need to be to unload anyway (Both very busy city roads)

Writing it down makes it sound slightly less of a nightmare than it actually is, I'd advise using a roadie for sure, door stops, take your own bottle of juice and a trolley.

I'm not in a hurry to go back there, although it is a beautiful venue.

Glasgowdjhire
08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Unlucky Mark, hope you had a good night though!

I have Dj,ed in the the barassarie before and been in parties in all other areas.

It is a nightmare for parking, then again most places in central Glasgow can be.

Lovely venue but a nightmare for the likes of us with gear.

Shaun
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Many thanks for the detailed review Mark. Very helpful :) I haven't played there before so I'll know what to look for should the occasion arise. Sounds like a nightmare.

DJ Davy
08-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I totally agree with Mark... Great venue... But an absolute nightmare to get in... And out!
I managed to get my van down the very short access road and then barrowed the first load down the narrow lane to the back door. Tried to get through the doors with the barrow... It wouldn't fit round the corner. A good bit of to-ing and fro-ing and I was into the lower kitchen/storage area. Tried to get the barrow into the service lift... It was tiny. Had to pull the barrow out and shorten it, took some stuff off and put it in the second lift, and then sent that up to the fourth floor.
I should have really got in the other lift, but as I had already sent they up I climbed in on top of the barrow... At roof height. I reached down to press the button and was on my way up. The doors opened into the kitchen with the staff looking at me as if I had escaped. One of the staff said 'you better not let chef see you have overloaded the lifts' ... At this stage I am on the edge!
Another bit of shuffling with the barrow, another two sets of doors and I am in the auditorium. Load two was pretty much the same. I set up, and then went home to shower.

Returned to the venue later... Couldn't get parked. Did the gig, great night... Brilliant feedback, couldn't have been better... Sound and lighting perfect.

Stripped the gear... Went to get the van, managed to get double parked behind a tour bus at the top of Byres road. Piled the gear up at the two lifts then did a relay race with it down to the lower kitchen storage area.. No dramas. Wedged the double doors then did the first barrow load, only to find the police at the back door with a guy in drag and several women screaming at each other. I asked to get by and was told I would have to wait, as they were carrying out an investigation. I piled the rest of the gear up and nudged my way by into the access lane... Only to find black bin bags full of cans and bottles piled all the way along the narrow lane. They weren't there on the way in!
Done three runs along the lane to get the gear in the van dodging drunks from the club downstairs, and the pubs on Byres road. Eventually got home at four in the morning, had a coffee and left the house at five to drive to bpm.

Would I play the venue again? Yes... But for an extra £100

Mark Wild
09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Would I play the venue again? Yes... But for an extra £100

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought it was a nightmare Davy :)

I'd indeed do the venue again but with an added fee like yourself.