PDA

View Full Version : Marwell Hotel

mark@pegasus
06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi Guys, has anyone one here worked at this venue, I have a Wedding there next month and would appriciate any info/pics on access, size of room etc. Cheers.

Shakermaker Promotions
06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes mate. I have done a couple of weddings at this venue but it was a couple of years ago now. There are 2 places where the Disco can be set up. The first time I was there I was in the large room and placed right by the dancefloor. The second time I was up in a balcony looking over the guests which was a bit of a pain. It was at the request of the customer who thought it would be a bit different.

No sound limiters installed when I was there and load in was pretty easy as was the set up when I was down on ground level.
The good thing about the first wedding I did (and better of the two), was that the couple were good friends of ours and they took us on their tour of the zoo the following day (as we were guests too) and we got up close to the Monkeys and Giraffes.

Sorry I can't be of more help but that's about all I remember.

mark@pegasus
06-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Cheers Gary, it's a start anyway

Andy Collins
06-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the hotel next to the zoo?

If so, its a good enough place, the main issue is getting your kit in and out. If you're in the main function room you have to park at the front of the hotel and then carry your kit through main reception which is a pain as you have guests getting in the way. best way is to use a trolly and up the ramp. Otherwise its a bit of a walk backwards and forwards.

The main room - There are 2 places you can set up. The hotel will prefer you to set up on the balcony. Tell them you will set up between the 2 pillars opposite the dance floor.

The only draw back is that the kitchen doors are directly behind you.

This will be 1. Easier and 2. Better (You'll see why when you get there)

If you do end up on the balcony, you will have to carry your kit up a narrow spiral staircase. through a small dining area, through a door, end of the corrodor turn left, open the door and in the balcony area.

If you're in the smaller suite, getting in is slightly easier at the end of the building. They will expect you to set up on the balcony (again) although its easier to get up you cant see a damn thing going on beneath you.

I always set up in the left hand corner as you enter.

I've attached a couple of photos of the main room when I did a moodlighting job there. You'll see what I mean by the balcony.

Have fun :)

mark@pegasus
07-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Cheers Andy, best I get on to the client and find out which room I'm in.

yourdj
07-01-2012, 11:18 AM
The small room is a pain in the arse.
I have always done it next to the door and not on the balcony, but refuse the booking now.
On the balcony you are not only separated from the crowd but its rubbish for access.
Would be OK for a clubby type set which involves little interaction.

The large room on the floor level is quite nice. access through the reception though. Set up in between the two pillars.
Uplighting works well there. There is a steep long walkway to the front door too. no steps which is good.

I would recommend the client to get a backdrop behind the pillars to cut out the kitchen doors, looks really smart.

I am assuming its not the zoo as they have weddings in the house or marquee?

mark@pegasus
20-02-2012, 11:31 AM
thanks to all who replied, it was a really good night.