PDA

View Full Version : Could I have your opinion plse on this selection?

Denty
03-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Chaps (and chapess-sorry Ang!), would appreciate input from you professionals. This is the playlist from a wedding I did on Saturday and I’d appreciate your thoughts on it. Kenyan bride (30) UK groom (45), 8.00 till 11.15.

First dance was a couple of Kenyan songs
You to me are everything
Dancing queen
Stayin alive (BGs’)
You sexy thing
I’m in the mood for dancing
That’s the way I like it
How sweet it is to be loved my you
My guy
3rd finger left hand
crying baby over you –(forgotten the title!)
Same old song (4 tops)
We are family
Crazy – niles
Man I feel like a woman
I will survive
When the going gets tough
Uptown girl (joel)
Always have always will
Celebration
Rock DJ
I don’t feel like dancing
Dec 63
I wanna dance with somebody
Like a virgin
Turn out the lights
This aint love
Music feels better with you
Blame it on the boogie
Aint gonna bump no more
And the beat goes on
The best of my love
Wake me up b4 u go
Hole in the head
(all of you –forgotten the title)
Maneater
Lovely day
One of these nights
Jus the way u are –BW
Don’t go breaking my heart
Its raining men (pointers)
Tragedy (steps)
Build me up buttercup
My boy lollipop (very old crackly 7” EP!!)
Chain reaction
Baby love
Tainted love
YMCA
Copacobana
Macarena
Saturday night – Whigf
Bamberleo
Love shack
Rockin all over the world
Brown sugar
Hi ho silver
RESPECT
Relax
Moving on up
Dancing in the moonlight
Play that funky music
Amarillo
Last dance – New York New York

Reason I’m asking for opinions is that this was my first disco since 1982!!!!!!
And thanks to everyone on this forum – the posts that Ive read over the past coupla months have been extremely useful.

CRAZY K
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Before answering--what happened?

Looking at that lot probably dancing all night long---hopefully?

Not sure of the question--if thats what they wanted---you gotta play it!

No doubt this will bring on the---im not a juke box DJ supporters :teeth:

Good luck with your "comeback" :)

CRAZY K

Shaun
03-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Congrats on your "comeback" disco. :) Looks like a good playlist, how did the evening go?.

Corabar Entertainment
03-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure anyone can comment on a playlist 'cold' like that and say whether it was 'good' or not. Surely it depends on your crowd?

Certainly a decent mix with a bit of this and a bit of that and all danceable tracks, but whether they were the sort of tracks to get the crowd you had up and dancing....... well, only you can tell us that!

Good luck with the comeback! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Denty
03-10-2006, 11:59 AM
thks- yes sorry, i should have said it went well with dancing from the off. Granted it does look like minstry of cheese but was really what they wanted. I was conscious of the glaring lack of up-to-date songs (bar Scissor sisters) but there were only 2 requests I couldnt handle. Also conscious that a James Brown/early soul selection I'd planned and a 60's selection never got included but guess thats down to me!!
Thks again for your comments
:)

magicfm
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
No Time Warp??? tut tut tut :)

Weddings are great for playing cheese, that's what most people love about them.

as for modern music:

I was a 'guest' at a disco the other night, young crowd, and the DJ played stuff from every era except modern chart. Was very good and the floor filled all night. Sometimes you can get away with not playing a lot of modern chart, depends.

anyway you seemed to of done well and you remind me of a DJ who I met and helped at his first gig in 10 years. After a bit of encouragement I left the stage to let him be and he was playing all the great tunes. It all came back to him.

good luck :) :) :)

CRAZY K
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Just a suggestion from someone who has also made a recent "comeback" in the last few years :teeth:

Its easier for me cos I dont do Disco all night---but I do ask for a Playlist of say 50 tracks--from a playlist on my website--that way you have got a really good idea of where the client is coming from.

I would say unless you have a massive collection you are always going to get requests you havent got.

If you think are missing some tracks then I would stick to Weddings and Parties where you can get feedback on what is wanted from the paying customer in advance.

If its a Corporate/Xmas Party offer that lovely expression of Dragonflys---

Mainstream!

If they want a DJ with 15,000 tracks available immediately on request on a Cortex or laptop--fine-- thats a job for someone else!

If you are upfront with the client and tell them how it is--they can decide what they want and theres no problem.

Good luck with it

CRAZY K

djgordyp
07-10-2006, 09:48 AM
No Time Warp??? tut tut tut :)

Just be thankful the Birdie song wasn't there lol

Weddings are great for playing cheese, that's what most people love about them.

as for modern music:

I was a 'guest' at a disco the other night, young crowd, and the DJ played stuff from every era except modern chart. Was very good and the floor filled all night. Sometimes you can get away with not playing a lot of modern chart, depends.

anyway you seemed to of done well and you remind me of a DJ who I met and helped at his first gig in 10 years. After a bit of encouragement I left the stage to let him be and he was playing all the great tunes. It all came back to him.

good luck :) :) :)

Sometimes it would surprise you what the younger ones would go for. When I was doing disco's in the past, I wasn't unduly worried if the dancefloor didn't fill up right from the start. I always experimented in the first 20 minutes or so to see what got them going.

Denty you have just boosted my desire to get back on the road when the finances are sorted.

CRAZY K
07-10-2006, 10:04 AM
And whats wrong with the Birdie Song?????? :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Excellent Barn Dance :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY K

Have a disco
07-10-2006, 11:15 AM
what no cha cha slide LOL

musicbox
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Looks like you made a great come back and well done.

You can only judge yourself on floor but and it's a big but be aware this is not set stone and a golden rule etc. just a guide, look for wiggles of the bots. foot tapping little give away's like that.

At weddings some times after the first couple of dances the floor empties and the DJ starts to panick wont matter what you play you only get a few dancing.
then about an hour to go there off and floor filled etc.

That is the trend at present I have seen it so many times with various dj's

Some guest just don't dance. and the other day I had a couple that did not dance and the first dance did not happen, cos that was their choice.

We still had a good time and we got a good tip at the end so just to show don't have to fill the floor for all to enjoy just depends on the day, night how they react.

magicfm
07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
And whats wrong with the Birdie Song?????? :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Excellent Barn Dance :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY K

That's Dragonflys favourite song of all time :) great floor clearer lol