PDA

View Full Version : The Mere Golf Resort & Spa - Cheshire

Charlie Brown
26-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Obviously a site visit isn't suitable because it's two hours away, but any info on access etc would be helpful and much appreciated. :beer1:

NKR
26-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Charlie thats a hell of a trek for you. When are you there?

I did have a job there in August, but had to pass it on due to an issue with the date.

Charlie Brown
26-01-2012, 04:42 PM
In April. I'm sure somebody would have been?

Spirits High
26-01-2012, 04:44 PM
In April. I'm sure somebody would have been?

Excellent, I expect a full venue report as I'm there in June. Wouldn't usually go that far but it's from a Wedding planner friend of mine and costs are more than covered ;)

Excalibur
26-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Excellent, I expect a full venue report as I'm there in June. Wouldn't usually go that far but it's from a Wedding planner friend of mine and costs are more than covered ;)

Paul, I think you may have misunderstood. Charlie, as we know, has not yet been licensed to drive a horseless carriage, so was looking for someone else to do the legwork. With your newfound enthusiasm for Golf, I'd have expected you to have killed two birds with one stone: Site visit, and a round of golf. :D :D ( Three, if you took Emma for a day at the Spa as well. ;) )

Dr Spin
26-01-2012, 05:03 PM

At least in June there is a chance that the roads won't be snowed in :beer1:

NKR
26-01-2012, 07:37 PM
There doesn't appear to be a review on Need a Disco either.

What is quite disturbing on Need A Disco - and no offence Martin at all - is that Mere is a very exclusive golf club and venue.

Of the 4 recommended disco's 2 look terrible and have no place in a venue like Mere. You just could not set that gear up in Mere.

I don't know the function suite, but played in a golf day at Mere about 8 years ago. I am however struggling to recall which one was Mere Golf Club and which was Mere Country Club as done golf days at both. Both very very nice.

Edit - the other one was High Legh, Mere Golf Course and Country Club are the same place. That part of Cheshire is just full of expensive golf courses

Charlie Brown
26-01-2012, 07:49 PM

What is quite disturbing on Need A Disco - and no offence Martin at all - is that Mere is a very exclusive golf club and venue.

Doesn't surprise me. :lol:

Is it a really posh place? :confused:

On the website, it says you can get married for £3500 inclusive of everything, including a DJ.

Vectis
26-01-2012, 07:50 PM
2 look terrible and have no place in a venue like Mere.

Ha! Just had a look, and I see what you mean :rolleyes:

Unfortunately those spots are filled based mainly on proximity to the venue as no-one's sent us a proper review yet.

When they do, that'll all change.

Those pages get a surprising number of clicks, so it's only a matter of time before someone starts to profit from having their half-decent disco listed on there... ;)

NKR
26-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Ha! Just had a look, and I see what you mean :rolleyes:

Unfortunately those spots are filled based mainly on proximity to the venue as no-one's sent us a proper review yet.

When they do, that'll all change.

Those pages get a surprising number of clicks, so it's only a matter of time before someone starts to profit from having their half-decent disco listed on there... ;)

Shame I can't review it. We are at Tatton Park all weekend for the norths biggest wedding fair so just around the corner. Will hopefully pick some bookings up there over the next couple of years.

Had to move a job on in August due to unforseen circumstances too.

Oh well.

Doesn't surprise me. :lol:

Is it a really posh place? :confused:

On the website, it says you can get married for £3500 inclusive of everything, including a DJ.

Its Mere Country Club. Its in a very expensive area and is a very nice place.

Thats winter and for 60 people.

I would recommend not turning up in jeans and trainers even to load. You may not be allowed into the club.

Charlie Brown
26-01-2012, 08:11 PM
It makes me laugh how he tried to barter with the price then.

NKR
26-01-2012, 08:17 PM
It makes me laugh how he tried to barter with the price then.

It was 8 years since I was there and it was a very nice golf club. I have not been since though. Why did he seek a Nottingham DJ to travel to Cheshire? Not that your not good Charlie, its just a bit of an odd one.

Charlie Brown
26-01-2012, 08:49 PM
He's seen me play before at a large wedding last year - the one where I fell in the bush. :o :lol:

MikeW
26-01-2012, 09:10 PM
He's seen me play before at a large wedding last year - the one where I fell in the bush. :o :lol:

So that's what I have to do to get extra bookings. :D

Charlie Brown
26-01-2012, 09:20 PM
:lol:

I think some people like a bit of 'outrageous'ness' (if there's such a word) I wouldn't advertise or be proud of it. I might change my business name to 'Charlie Cocozza's Entertainment' ;)

SC Events
26-01-2012, 10:37 PM
:lol:

I think some people like a bit of 'outrageous'ness' (if there's such a word) I wouldn't advertise or be proud of it. I might change my business name to 'Charlie Cocozza's Entertainment' ;)

Charlie and Cocozza probably shouldn't be in the same sentence lol...that's what got him in to trouble! :P :D

Javlingames
27-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I played it back in 2001 and from memory it is a very large room, ground floor with relatively easy access straight into the room (dont take my word for it as it was 12 years ago!!) The only thinh im not sure about is the access but i know it wasnt difficult.

Dr Spin
27-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Maybe he thinks that your skills in extracting yourself from said bush means you'd be useful to retrieve his ball if it goes into the rough ...........

Disco Divas
27-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Of the 4 recommended disco's 2 look terrible and have no place in a venue like Mere. You just could not set that gear up in Mere.

I don't know the function suite, but played in a golf day at Mere about 8 years ago. I am however struggling to recall which one was Mere Golf Club and which was Mere Country Club as done golf days at both. Both very very nice.

Edit - the other one was High Legh, Mere Golf Course and Country Club are the same place. That part of Cheshire is just full of expensive golf courses
Hi guys,

I hope the two disco's your were referring to below didn't include Disco Divas!

"Of the 4 recommended disco's 2 look terrible and have no place in a venue like Mere. You just could not set that gear up in Mere."

Pauline and Emma x x

Corabar Entertainment
27-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi guys,

"Of the 4 recommended disco's 2 look terrible and have no place in a venue like Mere. You just could not set that gear up in Mere."

Pauline and Emma x x
Hello.

Please have a read here http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11711 and then start a thread to tell us a bit about yourself and introduce yourself to the rest of the forum.

:thanks:

Dr Spin
27-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Hi Pauline and Emma

I've had a quick look at all 4 disco websites and from what I can see, you have nothing to worry about.

Please take the time to introduce yourselves in the "Newbies" section, and welcome to the forum!

Golden Moments
27-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi there i've played there several times. I must warn you.You are NOT alloud to ware any denim jeans etc anyware in the grounds. even if you are only setting up your gear. I was told in no uncertain terms by the boss that if I ever wore denim I would not be allowed to set up! This is the place where most of granada tv staff play golf.

par6
27-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I did 3 gigs there last year at Mere Golf and country club, there is also a wedding venue called Mere Court, which one is it ? they are quite different.

NKR
27-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I am passing it tomorrow as off to Tatton Park for the wedding show. Hope to pick some decent bookings up in Cheshire, finally.

Spirits High
28-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi there i've played there several times. I must warn you.You are NOT alloud to ware any denim jeans etc anyware in the grounds. even if you are only setting up your gear. I was told in no uncertain terms by the boss that if I ever wore denim I would not be allowed to set up! This is the place where most of granada tv staff play golf.

And why would you wear denim anyway??

I did 3 gigs there last year at Mere Golf and country club, there is also a wedding venue called Mere Court, which one is it ? they are quite different.

Think the thread title gives the correct name of where Charlie is after ;)

Corabar Steve
28-01-2012, 01:00 AM
.You are NOT alloud to ware any denim jeans etc anyware in the grounds. even if you are only setting up your gear. I was told in no uncertain terms by the boss that if I ever wore denim I would not be allowed to set up! .
Combats & steel capped boots then. :sj:

Excalibur
28-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Combats & steel capped boots then. :sj:

Sir!! Are you out of your mind? In such venues, a suit at all times is de rigeur.

par6
28-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Ok, Mere golf country resort and spa :rolleyes:
Really quite posh,full of "new" money types.
The main function suite, the only one I've worked in, NO stairs but about a 50 yard walk with your gear to a made up portable bouncy "stage".
1am bar, certainly no jeans on the course but as far as setting up goes I can see no problem, I'm sure that contracted workers around the place wear denim:eek:
PAT and PLI needed of course, all in all a nice venue. The staff may be a bit cool with you because you're not their normal Dj but hey ho.

Charlie Brown
28-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Ok, Mere golf country resort and spa :rolleyes:
Really quite posh,full of "new" money types.
The main function suite, the only one I've worked in, NO stairs but about a 50 yard walk with your gear to a made up portable bouncy "stage".
1am bar, certainly no jeans on the course but as far as setting up goes I can see no problem, I'm sure that contracted workers around the place wear denim:eek:
PAT and PLI needed of course, all in all a nice venue. The staff may be a bit cool with you because you're not their normal Dj but hey ho.

Sure, thank you. :)

Are you the resident DJ?

par6
28-01-2012, 04:33 PM
No not the resident, I think they use an agency who send the same couple of guys.

Charlie Brown
28-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Fair enough, thanks for the info.

I wish I knew what it looked like inside. If it's as plush as folks are making out, I'd do the mood lighting for free and perhaps get a video guy to come in the evening for a promo film.

Excalibur
28-01-2012, 05:28 PM
The staff may be a bit cool with you because you're not their normal Dj but hey ho.

So Charlie will be OK, because of his cheeky smile, and engaging manner, but Paul may struggle then. :D :D

Kernow
28-01-2012, 05:56 PM
So Charlie will be OK, because of his cheeky smile, and engaging manner, but Paul may struggle then. :D :D

The difference between preferred lie and being invited to play through ? ;) :D :D

Disco Divas
06-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. We have a lot to learn but glad to know we are not too bad lol!

Pauline and Emma :)

Spirits High
06-02-2012, 09:34 PM

How rude! ;)

Excalibur
07-02-2012, 07:15 AM
How rude! ;)

Sir, may I take this opportunity to assure you that no affront was intended, nor did I intend to impugn your undoubtedly excellent interpersonal skills. I strive at all times to champion polite behaviour and good manners, so accept that my comparison breached both criteria. Please accept my unreserved apologies for my shameful and ill mannered actions.

Charlie Brown
07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Well put Peter!

Just used a few of those lines on Mum for heading to the pub. :D