PDA

View Full Version : My site!

soundlad
03-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi, could you guys give me an opinion on my site ??? the text on the booking page looks a bit dodgy but it will be sorted!

http://www.soundlads.co.uk

cheers
zach

Danno13
03-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Take a look at the grammer in that opening paragraph... at the moment its all one sentance with commas in weird places. Also its hard to read being orange.. but i guess thats what your saying you know already?

The writing on the "about us" page is far too chatty.. it needs proper paragraphing and the grammer sorting again.

djbigdevs
03-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I find the background (the black & white with the headphones) very distracting and it's hard to read the orange text on it, due it changing from orange on white to orange on black.

The title is too dark on most pages apart from the home page.

Love the menu bar on the left. Good combo of black/charcoal & orange!!

Got lots of potential - a few adjustments & you'll be sorted!

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Zach

Change the logo, or at least the Soundlads bit to a different colour. You can't read it properly and it is way too dull with the black picture too.

You need to go through your site and do a spelling and grammer check too. There are a few capitals that shouldn't be there etc.

The links page doesn't work either.

Also, I think it may be decidely dodgy to pretend that you're a limited company, if you aren't!

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 07:25 PM
OK, I was a bit slow typing...

What the others said!

Sam
03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
I find the writing / on background hard to read.. and the other text draws me away from the main bit.
Also your text is an image..
Am i right in thinking that if you just have text in images.. the bots wont be able to pick the site up as well because there isn't much for them to read or something along those lines!!

DMX Will
03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
To be honest, I'm finding it a bit naff and hard on the eyes.

There are FAR too many websites on the internet these days that are basic html/or designs that arn't quite right for the situation.

If you want to give a good impression (and from what I've read on these forums, you are one of the young-ens who need to be doing this) you have the gear (and hopefully the talent) to match it with a good website.

Look at corporate websites, do a search for free bussiness web templates in google etc, have a look around. Also have a look at some good disco websites from other users to look at what you should be putting in them, and how to lay your site out.

Good examples are : (don't get offended if your not listed)

- www.solitaireentertainments.co.uk
- www.a2zroadshow.co.uk
- www.musicinmotionpartydiscos.co.uk

3 very different websites, also have a look at the content on some other websites (Cobrar is a good one). I don't want to steer you to my website with my saying "its really good, but take a look it may help (www.virtualsights.co.uk).

I can't list websites on "how not to do it", but there are plenty i haven't listed above that I also wouldn't put in that list, (Cobar and Jamie's site being two).

REMEMBER: If in any doubt (ie if you think it looks crap) chances are others will. When you work on a design for a long time, you start to think "oh its not that bad" but actually your just getting used to it, and drop-in vistors will be that...drop-in and they won't hang around.

Hope this helps.

Try to avoid a black background if possible, sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

Dragonfly
03-10-2006, 09:15 PM
have to say im a big fan of music in motions website simple informative and i reacon fairly unique in the colour scheme.

mines all my own work and the thing ive found hardest is balanceing an all singing all dancing website with a fast load time soooooo frustrating you get something that you really like ........ and it takes a week to load.

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Well this is what my new websits going to look like

Corabar Entertainment
03-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Any chance of resizing that image please Callum? :omg:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I spent months and months looking at other DJs websites deciding what I didn't want to be honest, and I did see some truely awful ones.

I then spend the next few months deciding and writing the information and text that I wanted and the way I wanted it to come over.

I then spend a long time researching optimisation and also got loads of great advice from Richie on here about that. I then changed a few paragraphs and tweaked it a little so that the engines would find it and pick up on my keywords etc

The reason my site has a black background is because it is a template and with that design, I really had no choice.

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Any chance of resizing that image please Callum? :omg:

Help!! i cant i havent got the software:embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
What's with the womans feet on there?

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 09:37 PM
What's with the womans feet on there?

I aint making the website!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I aint making the website!!!

Well, I thought you may have a foot fetish or something :omg:

DMX Will
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I spent months and months looking at other DJs websites deciding what I didn't want to be honest, and I did see some truely awful ones.

I then spend the next few months deciding and writing the information and text that I wanted and the way I wanted it to come over.

I then spend a long time researching optimisation and also got loads of great advice from Richie on here about that. I then changed a few paragraphs and tweaked it a little so that the engines would find it and pick up on my keywords etc

The reason my site has a black background is because it is a template and with that design, I really had no choice.

And because of that research, you made it into my top list for examples. Don't worry about the black, it looks okay for your site, I was saying it doesn't for all :)

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, I thought you may have a foot fetish or something :omg:

AT 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :omg:

Corabar Entertainment
03-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Zach - when did you become a limited company?
Website designed by Zach Cowell. "The owner of Soundlads Discos LTD" You can get yourself in serious trouble claiming to be a limited company when you're not!!!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Zach - when did you become a limited company? You can get yourself in serious trouble claiming to be a limited company when you're not!!!!!

I posted that earlier...

Eyes not working now you're 40 Ang? :teeth:

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Everything has given up :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
03-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Everything has given up :teeth:Yep - that's right: including being polite to cheeky teenagers! :omg: :omg: :)

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 09:56 PM
"sniff" Im a good little devil. I mean boy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 10:01 PM

Lucky you're in Scotland son :omg:

DMX Will
03-10-2006, 10:04 PM

Yes, agree with Daz, you were let off very lightly

Jiggles
Woops should i start packen? people say norways nice :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
I seem to be getting a 'reputation' :omg: :omg: :embarasse

:teeth: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I seem to be getting a 'reputation' :omg: :omg: :embarasse

:teeth: :teeth:

Getting? :teeth: :rose:

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 10:06 PM
*whistles quietly* :teeth:

DMX Will
03-10-2006, 10:13 PM
*ball of hay rolls past in the wind*

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Must be a bleeding strong wind them... :omg:

Tumbleweed you mean? :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
03-10-2006, 10:15 PM
*whistles quietly* :teeth:I'd make it even quieter if I were you!!!!! :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Anyhooooo....back to Zach's site.

Corabar Entertainment
03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Getting? :teeth: :rose:...but you love me really!!!! :kiss:

EDIT: Posted whilst Darren making his last post.... yes, we're 'OFF TOPIC'..... back to business! :embarasse

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM

A hurricane :teeth:

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Sorry.

Websites good Zach but the problems are the the ones that people have already said.

DMX Will
03-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Sorry.

Websites good Zach but the problems are the the ones that people have already said.

Talk about a wasted post. Talking of wasted posts, so is this one.

Jiggles
03-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Talk about a wasted post.

im just trying to steer the thred back on to topic :mad: