PDA

View Full Version : Bubble machine dilema

teenypops
07-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I run kids disco's with games etc and have been doing so since May last year.

I used to always offer the use of bubble machines, but found that when the mixture settles on some floors - particularly wooden floors in village halls etc it made it rather slippery and with kids running about it made me very nervous that an accident may happen.

Because of this I have not been offering this as an option, but customers are always enquiring if I will be using one, I know kids love them!!!

I was wondering if any of you guys have had similar issues and what you did about it, are there less slippery mixtures (doesn't seem possible to me).

Any advice gratefully received as I don't want to lose business on the basis that I won't be using a bubble machine.

Vectis
07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Always used a Bubble King either hung from a frame (so 2m+ in the air) or stood on top of flight cases (so at least 1m in the air) and never had issues due to the sheer power of the machine sending the bubbles high and wide throughout the venue.

It also has a highly effective drip catching method through the use of a very wide collar. I could run the thing constantly for half an hour and might see two or three drips on the floor in front of the unit. It also helps to angle the unit backwards by about 10-15 degrees (not forgetting to allow for this when filling the tray).

Corabar Entertainment
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Also, be careful, many PLI policies specifically exclude cover for the use of bubble machines.

We've always said that we will use them in certain circumstances only - ie at the entrance on to concrete / carpeted areas, etc, but that it's totally at our discretion and once we've seen the location in the flesh.

Pe7e
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Le maitre fluid is kess slippery but very expensive. You could always get the organiser to sign a disclaimer stating they had been informed of the potential slippery floor and took personal responsibility, wether it would stand up in court or not, is a different story.

teenypops
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys all very useful, I guess it is just down to discretion and common sense.

Pe7e, I may well use the disclaimer for those who insist on the bubbles - thanks

Thanks again

Corabar Entertainment
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Just remember that you can't contract out of your legal obligations, so you still need to take all reasonable precautions / comply with all H&S guidelines, etc. & have a paper trail to prove that.

Do you do a risk assessment at each event? If not, I'd strongly advise you to get one in place asap. It should help if there are any issues (provided it's right, and carried out / followed).

DazzyD
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I did a kids party once where bubbles was requested and I had a small child (actually my mate's young son) slipped over and cut his lip. Whilst my mate was good about it, and said "oh well, accidents happen" I was furious with myself for not spotting this safety risk early on. Since then I make it clear that I will only offer the bubble machine in rooms that are fully carpeted.

JAMdisco
07-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I've used bubble machines in the past even in floors with wooden dancefloors) and I generally only put it on once there are plenty of people on the dancefloor so the bubbles fall on them - ok, a couple may hit the floor but not enough to make it slippery.

Not sure how this would work at kids party's though...

Another option is to always have a mop or some absorbent material (old t-shirt, kitchen roll etc.) and try and mop up any large areas that may have got wet. It only takes a couple of seconds to dry it so shouldn't cause an issue time-wise!

welby
16-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Always used a Bubble King either hung from a frame (so 2m+ in the air) or stood on top of flight cases (so at least 1m in the air) and never had issues due to the sheer power of the machine sending the bubbles high and wide throughout the venue.

It also has a highly effective drip catching method through the use of a very wide collar. I could run the thing constantly for half an hour and might see two or three drips on the floor in front of the unit. It also helps to angle the unit backwards by about 10-15 degrees (not forgetting to allow for this when filling the tray).

me too and I have never had any issues.

chrisj
16-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Le maitre fluid is kess slippery but very expensive. You could always get the organiser to sign a disclaimer stating they had been informed of the potential slippery floor and took personal responsibility, wether it would stand up in court or not, is a different story.

I used to use Tesco liquid as it was/is very good and at £1.30 or so per ltr and always restricted the length of time I would use it but the floor did occasionally get slightly slippery.
I have now changed to the Le Maitre liquid at £25 per 5 litre making it around 4 times as expensive but then even though the machine is on a lot longer it uses less liquid and is much much safer.