PDA

View Full Version : Now my ears have stopped ringing

CRAZY K
09-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Last night accompanied my son with his Rodeo Bull to the 02 Academy, Night Club Cowley Oxford, a hang out for Oxford Students.

I dont know if anyone has been there or even gigged the place but the problem was the Sound System was so loud --im guessing 5k plus.

Most of the music passed me by--blisteringly loud and as the evening wore on I began to realise that despite the massive system distortion was setting in:daft: :daft:

Eventually a track I recognised --Jackos Billy Jean--however because of the rumbling, grumbling bass which was shaking the Rodeo Bull inflatable the whole tune was ruined because the top end with that lovely crisp drumming and vocals were just not clear---what a waste:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My point though ( post topic) is the damage this must be doing to the Bar Staffs hearing and oh did I mention the 8 or 10 Bouncers including our own personal one-- plus of course the kids that were there.

Bit like a War zone really;) ;) although it was all very good natured until 1am when the professional serious drunks appeared, to be smartly dealt with by said bouncers.

I must admit when the regs were announced for Employees protection I though it was a bit OTT--after this experience I can understand it at certain LOUD venues--as I remember when I played the SU Cambridge they had a loud system but this was something else.

Yes my ears are ok now but I wont be going into any venue like that again without ear defenders--sadly the punters wont be so well protected.

katman
09-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Sadly its only going to get worse. Large systems are cheaper than they have ever been and a small system overdriven will sound louder than a large system that is not being overdriven.

Consequently even though it IS loud it doesnt sound it so people keep cranking it up until it starts to sound "dirty" by which time it is EXTREMELY loud.

Factor in "Temporary Threshold Shift" when your ears become accustomed to the higher levels and again it doesnt seem as loud so the damage is being done even though you dont realise.

Think how loud a lot of clubs seem when you first walk in yet within minutes it is just fine..... until you leave and have a hissing in the ears that wont go away :(

Excalibur
09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Think how loud a lot of clubs seem when you first walk in yet within minutes it is just fine..... until you leave and have a hissing in the ears that wont go away :(

One of the things I was told when the world was young, was not to turn your PA up high at the beginning of the gig, as since the human ear automatically attenuates prolonged loud noise, it would appear that you had turned it down as the night went on.

Start quiet, and turn it up as the evening progresses.

katman
09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Start quiet, and turn it up as the evening progresses.

Exactly, but I have lost count of the number of DJ's I have seen driving a system hard at early doors then complaining that they run out of headroom at the busy part of the evening.

CRAZY K
10-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Exactly, but I have lost count of the number of DJ's I have seen driving a system hard at early doors then complaining that they run out of headroom at the busy part of the evening.

Sadly all you say is 100 per cent correct.

I was flabbergasted when I heard the routine disco number I play most weeks and the awful muddy sound and lack of clarity all at ear splitting volume.

The previous hour was a load of noise I did not recognise so I would not know if it was distorting or bass heavy.

Next stop--ear defender shop;)

Because my son cant talk to the Riders on the Bull ( excessive noise) he is going to hold up placards like

GET YOUR SHOES OFF

DONT HOLD ON THE HORNS

WHATS YOUR PHONE NUMBER:D :D :D :D

mattred
13-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I have been wearing er-15 custom made earplugs for the last year and I now wear them at pretty much every gig. Were expensive but worth every penny.

Matt