PDA

View Full Version : Client not paying up.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Ok, in a nutshell...

Done a disco and told the client that they drop the cheque in the post (big mistake, i know...lesson learned).

Anyway, nothing arrived in the post...which wasnt a biggie as I was having problems with Royal Mail. I messaged them via FaceBook to be told that they had posted it out. I requested that they cancel the cheque, and asked if they could post a second one via my parents.... they agreed.

A week later, nothing had came so i resent the invoice to them....nothing....when it became overdue i sent a copy and a polite reminder that itwas due and gave them an extta 7 days to pay.

Anyway, times up tomorrow....and ive heard nothing. My next step is to send copies of all correspondance and contract via recorded delivery with a letter threatening debt recovery action if they dont pay within the next 7 days.

What do you think?

Vectis
23-02-2012, 09:02 PM
What do you think?

I think you've been really stoopid :o

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk - used three times, won three times. Tax deductible expense if you lose, they pay your costs if you win.

Danno13
23-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Have you spoken to them on the phone? In my experience putting people on the spot can work better than letters which can easily be ignored.

Shaun
23-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Or if they stay close by...drop in on them. It had the desired effect when I was owed money.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-02-2012, 09:17 PM

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk - used three times, won three times. Tax deductible expense if you lose, they pay your costs if you win.
I was thinking that. Easy enough to use?

Have you spoken to them on the phone? In my experience putting people on the spot can work better than letters which can easily be ignored.
I was once told that if you we're owed money not to chase it by phone as it could be construed as harrassment....do everything in writing so theres a paper trail and you can prove what youve said.

Or if they stay close by...drop in on them. It had the desired effect when I was owed money.
Unfortunately not an option as they dont live local.

Out of interest i know that the statutory late debt compensation is £40. Is that applicable to private clients or only business to business?

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Out of interest i know that the statutory late debt compensation is £40.

Never heard of that before - have you a link to the info?

I know that businesses can charge 8% above base rate interest on debts. (Unless it's changed recently)

Dynamic Entertainment
23-02-2012, 09:30 PM

I know that businesses can charge 8% above base rate interest on debts. (Unless it's changed recently)

https://payontime.co.uk/late-payment-legislation-interest-calculators

Although the link has answered my question....business to business only.

Spirits High
24-02-2012, 12:15 AM
I ended up taking a client to County Court for a "cancelled" booking.

It's now gone the whole way and I've got a default ruling.

Used these guys and they did a great job ;)

http://www.geminidebtrecovery.com/

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-02-2012, 09:28 AM
https://payontime.co.uk/late-payment-legislation-interest-calculators

Although the link has answered my question....business to business only.

So you can claim compensation and interest on a debt. I didn't know that.

Nightowl Discotheques
24-02-2012, 10:27 AM
8.00 am sundy morning and at the top of your voice knock there door be very polite... no you wont come in for a cuppa as you dont really want to disturb them youve only just poped round to pick up the cheque that was promised for your work.... i was taught this years ago by a second hand dealer in edinburgh and its never failed good luck getting paid and remember if dont make mistakes how would we ever learn ....

Danno13
24-02-2012, 10:44 AM

I did it twice last year, £40 in one case and £70 in another as the debt was over a certain amount. Both cases they paid it too :)

This was business to business though.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I did it twice last year, £40 in one case and £70 in another as the debt was over a certain amount. Both cases they paid it too :)

This was business to business though.

How long did you wait before incurring the charges Dan?

Dynamic Entertainment
24-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I ended up taking a client to County Court for a "cancelled" booking.

It's now gone the whole way and I've got a default ruling.

Used these guys and they did a great job ;)

http://www.geminidebtrecovery.com/
Cool, thanks for the link. Whats their charges like?

8.00 am sundy morning and at the top of your voice knock there door be very polite... no you wont come in for a cuppa as you dont really want to disturb them youve only just poped round to pick up the cheque that was promised for your work.... i was taught this years ago by a second hand dealer in edinburgh and its never failed good luck getting paid and remember if dont make mistakes how would we ever learn ....
All well and good...but they aint even in the same county ;)

Spirits High
24-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Cool, thanks for the link. Whats their charges like?

They do a "debt letter" service that I used which is £25. They pursue them via letter, email & phone. They say that around 80% pay up as soon as the letters & phonecalls start.

If like my one they decide to ignore everything they charge £15 to draft up the County Court paperwork and then you pay £35 to the Court to issue it. The £35 goes on top of your claim + interest as previously mentioned.

Danno13
24-02-2012, 12:04 PM
How long did you wait before incurring the charges Dan?

One was this January from an invoice from early October 2011.

The other was only about 60 days, but I'd had issues with the company before and had to withold services to get payment of the first late payment.

welby
26-02-2012, 04:11 PM

I have used this twice now and won both times!

Thanks Vectis!

CRAZY K
26-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Briefly--

I would telephone to start with, who says phoning someone who owes money is harrassment--if you are threatening well thats different.

Does not sound right to me:confused: Is there a link?

Assuming you do have a signed Contract (I never leave home without one) and some evidence you carried out the Booking then really you should be able to use one of the methods mentioned on here to get your money.

However I would impose strict deadlines--like you want your money in 7 days etc.and leave the customer in no doubt you will pursue them through legal routes to get your money.

You need to sharpen up on your payment methods.

Although we do not insist on payment before a gig if its a cheque its 14 days prior and if cash on night the music will NOT start until cash paid.

Think im joking?

One of my wifes agency jobs was held up recently because the client ( A Doctor in fact) faithfully promised to pay the cash at the start several times before the event BUT failed to do so--he could not be found.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Acting on our instructions the Caller told the guests at the Wedding---

NO PAY--NO PLAY:D :D :D

Then a miracle---

The client suddenly appeared with cash.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Obviously this is very tacky and completely ridiculous at a Wedding involving a person possibly earning £100k.

However they ARE ALL AT IT OUT THERE.:daft:

HeartandSoul
29-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi, suggest you call first, be polite. If they don't cooperate tell them you will issue proceedings. This is not harassment. Follow up with a letter marked "notice of intended proceedings" and include the amount due, 14 days to pay, or you will issue proceedings in the county court for the balance, plus interest at the statutory rate of 8%, plus the cost of the court issue fee. If you do not get paid, then go onto the money claim website, complete the particulars and proceedings will be issued by the court for the full amount. Once you have judgement, if they don't pay, ask the court bailiff to enforce. Its usually £30 refundable and he has certain powers to enforce your debt for you. You should get everything back you are owed if they have the ability to pay. Hope that helps.

Dynamic Entertainment
29-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the replies all...

Just an update....

Sent a letter Special Delivery which was signed for today, telling then that further action would be taken if they didnt pay within 7 days. I included all previous correspondance, including contract, so that they had it for reference.

I now have signed proof that they have recieved everything, so its a 7 day waiting game now.

Note to self....trust and business dont work together for some clients....

DJ Jules
29-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Out of curiosity, I'm getting to the point where I might have to take a School Parents Association through court to get paid for a summer fete I did in June last year. I've been very tolerant and I gave them a very good rate for the equipment plus 5hrs of my time. I see the chair of the PA occasionally and every time I see him he says he'll pass on the message to the treasurer to sort out payment, but nothing has turned up....

Would you take a school Parents Association through the Small Claims court?

Julian

Dynamic Entertainment
29-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Out of curiosity, I'm getting to the point where I might have to take a School Parents Association through court to get paid for a summer fete I did in June last year. I've been very tolerant and I gave them a very good rate for the equipment plus 5hrs of my time. I see the chair of the PA occasionally and every time I see him he says he'll pass on the message to the treasurer to sort out payment, but nothing has turned up....

Julian

Yeah I would....business is business.

CRAZY K
29-02-2012, 09:30 PM

Julian

Yes about July of last year.:daft:

They are taking the ................

Assuming you have a signed written Contract issue a final warning.

If you havent been issuing written reminders and an Invoice by email or recorded delivery it might take longer because you will have to wait a reasonable time before issuing Legals.

Andy Collins
01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised you've waited this long?? 9 months for a few quid?? I would have taken action by month 2.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Just filed info with Gemini Debt Solutions today (thanks for the link Paul).

I know for a fact they recieved the last lot of paperwork from me...the joys of Special Delivery...and still no payment.

Geminai, will now issue a demand on my behalf for the money with 14 days to pay, and will follow it up with a phonecall. If they still dont pay, the next step is Moneyclaim.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Final update...

Gemini worked their magic...so to speak....and the client paid up today.