PDA

View Full Version : Mobile disco with PLI but not registered company

DJay
06-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I'll be starting mobile disco's (again) next year. I have two questions:

1. Do I have to register with companies house? Or can I wait a few months to see if it takes off first?

2. If the answer to question 1 is "no you don't have to regsiter", can I still buy PLI (as I want to be insured)?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Jay

musicbox
06-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Jay
You need PLI and your equipment P.A.T. tested.
Then you can go out with peace of mind.

As for registering with companies house, this depends on how you want to work.
If this is to be your main income then get your self an accountant. or some finacial advise.

There are pro's and con's on what to do but each person is different and this is very personal depending on your circumstances.
Others will be on I hope with thier views.
Hope this helps

Pete

colinm345
06-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Some very good advice there

You do not need to register with companies house unless you are a ltd or Plc company to the best of my knowledge ,but you should register your business with your local Inland Revenue office within 3 months of starting your business:teeth:

Digitalsounds
06-10-2006, 08:30 AM
quite correct, you can't reg a company unless it is a LTD or a PLC as i did indeed enquire about this not too long ago but you do have an obligation to reg with the goodold tax man.

DJay
06-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm just gonna be doing it as a hobby. Maybe a months later if I find it takes off, I'll do it as my first job. I think that's the sensible way to approach it. What do you think?

Do I still need a PAT certificate even if all the kit is 1-2 months old? It's all brand new stuff!

Thanks

Jay

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 10:05 AM
I asked this not too long ago. The general feedback was thta it is probably best to di anyway, even if your stuff is new as you don't want to risk your PLI being invalidated for any reasn :)

Richie
06-10-2006, 10:33 AM
In your circumstances, I wouldn't bother going limited company, but would recommend declaring yourself to the tax man as self employed. You will then be issued with a self assesment tax form at the end of the year. Do this within 3 months of trading.

The tax office also do a free course on being self employed where they explain how you need to operate your business and manage your books. Well worth going on and it only takes half a day.

Anybody can apply for the course!

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Cheers Richie. Might sign up myself! Any info on this? where i can apply etc?

Steve 'B'
09-11-2006, 03:52 AM
How do I get on this course??