PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Here

Vectis
16-03-2012, 12:26 PM
So (apart from the shocking 2.7% fee) what do we think of PayPal Here (https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader)?

Perfect for taking deposits there and then at client meetings and any other time someone says "can I book you for ..." ?

With the device being provided for free and no subscription costs - just the 2.7% usage fee - is it something you'll snap up?

Shaun
16-03-2012, 01:04 PM
As there's no subscription costs this would probably be ideal for me. However, I tried to sign up via the page you linked to and it wouldn't accept my mobile number. It seems as if it's setup to just accept US customers maybe?

Edit: tried it again without the '0' at the start and it accepted the number. :daft:

Vectis
16-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Launching in the US, Oz and Japan IIRC this week. UK to follow "shortly".

Worth keeping an eye on :)

Shaun
16-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Definitely! :)

Thanks for posting about it.

Dynamic Entertainment
16-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Yep...me too.

Thanks Martin

hammy
16-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Martin, That is going to be a fantastic asset. :beer1: :beer1:

Dynamic Entertainment
16-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks Martin, That is going to be a fantastic asset. :beer1: :beer1:

Especially at things like wedding fayres....

Cowlinn
16-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Looks the same as Square (https://squareup.com/) app. If only these were in the UK

yourdj
17-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Especially at things like wedding fayres....

Do you take booking payments etc. at fayres?

Just asking as I hate selling to people at those events. i would rather them go home and think about it.
i would never commit to something on the day as a groom unless I was really 100%. :)

I wouls also rather know the details of the wedding as a supplier as you never know.

I always take a contact and let them think about it - but then again I am not cheap.
Just rather meet them again on their own time at the venue when I can give them 100% attention.

I still use internet transfer and have no issues. Used paypal for a year and knocked up a £1200 charge :eek:
God knows what that would be now - probably £3000 ?? Just done the maths and its pushing 10k :eek:

You think 2.5% is not much but trust me it will soon add up.

Corabar Entertainment
17-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Just done the maths and its pushing 10k :eek:

You sure you're doing almost £400,000.00 turnover, Toby? :whistle: :rolleyes:

Dynamic Entertainment
17-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Do you take booking payments etc. at fayres?

Just asking as I hate selling to people at those events. i would rather them go home and think about it.
i would never commit to something on the day as a groom unless I was really 100%. :)

I wouls also rather know the details of the wedding as a supplier as you never know.

I always take a contact and let them think about it - but then again I am not cheap.
Just rather meet them again on their own time at the venue when I can give them 100% attention.

I still use internet transfer and have no issues. Used paypal for a year and knocked up a £1200 charge :eek:
God knows what that would be now - probably £3000 ?? Just done the maths and its pushing 10k :eek:

But it comes off your tax bill ;)

With regards to wedding fayres...you never had anyone crack out the cheque book there and then?

Ive had brides and grooms come visit wedding fayres just to meet me after getting a quote (at least meeting me was a part of it, according to them). I get a good few wanting to pay their deposit to secure ther booking straight away...as does alot of other providers that i network with.

wensleydale
17-03-2012, 02:47 PM
You sure you're doing almost £400,000.00 turnover, Toby? :whistle: :rolleyes:

I was also thinking something didn't look right but maybe times are good in the new forest?

teenypops
18-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Doing kids parties my charges are much cheaper than you high end guys, but I also use PayPal for deposits, but I do charge it onto the client.

I normally take a £20 deposit, which I think the PayPal fees are somewhere in the region of £0.80, so deposits made via PayPal are £21.

I make the client fully aware of this and no-one has ever quibbled, I guess if they posted a cheque the cost of the stamp, envelope, hassle to post etc adds up anyway.

weekender45
19-03-2012, 09:07 PM
So (apart from the shocking 2.7% fee) what do we think of PayPal Here (https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader)?

Perfect for taking deposits there and then at client meetings and any other time someone says "can I book you for ..." ?

With the device being provided for free and no subscription costs - just the 2.7% usage fee - is it something you'll snap up?

Its a definate winner, but it looks like its not compatable with Blackberry phones!
I find it hard to believe the reader will be provided free!
Its probably on the understanding that a minimum amount will be transacted during a set period.

Vectis
19-03-2012, 09:56 PM
it looks like its not compatable with Blackberry phones!

Correct. iPhone only at the moment unless the site's been updated in the last couple of days.

I find it hard to believe the reader will be provided free!
Its probably on the understanding that a minimum amount will be transacted during a set period.

It's my understanding that it's free to business account holders. They'll see from your past history that you're good for it (or not!).

Dynamic Entertainment
19-03-2012, 09:59 PM
It's gonna be on the Android Marketplace too...so that's HTC, Samsung etc etc....

JAMdisco
20-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm quite liking that, will also prove useful when taking the fee on the night.

Although I always stipulate cash on the night before disco commences, I have had a few come up and say "will you take a cheque". I've never accepted a cheque on the night but I suppose an alternative would be to accept card payment (I would also stipulate that an extra 2.5% is paid to cover the cost).

Balls in their court (so to speak), just another alternative I suppose.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Can you stipulate that 2.5% is added on though? i thouth that was against paypals rules? Although I could have dreamt that thread/conversation :o

Danno13
20-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Can you stipulate that 2.5% is added on though? i thouth that was against paypals rules? Although I could have dreamt that thread/conversation :o

If you're not allowed to do this, then the easy way round is to up your price by 2.5% and offer a 2.5% settlement discount for balances settled by bank transfer rather than cards/cheques (I'd still want the full fee for cheques as they take more admin!)

20-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Here's an alternative low cost way of using the direct debit system to receive money, one off or regular payments with a 1% transaction charge, limited to a maximum of £2.00 per transaction.

In their words - Get paid directly from your customers’ bank accounts. No merchant account. No credit card fees. No hassle.

At the moment their product in their words, The product we have right now requires you to integrate with our API (technical jargon for "mess around with complicated website stuff"). We will be launching a product which is just as fantastic for non-technical businesses (i.e. you) in the next couple of weeks.

But when they have their simpler offering is definitely going to be of interest to me and I thought it might be of interest to martin and a few other members.

www.gocardless.com

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Here's an alternative low cost way of using the direct debit system to receive money, one off or regular payments with a 1% transaction charge, limited to a maximum of £2.00 per transaction.

In their words - Get paid directly from your customers’ bank accounts. No merchant account. No credit card fees. No hassle.

At the moment their product in their words, The product we have right now requires you to integrate with our API (technical jargon for "mess around with complicated website stuff"). We will be launching a product which is just as fantastic for non-technical businesses (i.e. you) in the next couple of weeks.

But when they have their simpler offering is definitely going to be of interest to me and I thought it might be of interest to martin and a few other members.

www.gocardless.com

Maybe I've missed something but they don't take card payments. In effect, they charge £2 max to make a bank transfer when you could do it for free?

Vectis
20-03-2012, 02:56 PM

Looks like a good idea BUT my biggest reservation would be the amount of explaining you'd need to do to convince the punter to enter their bank account details. Unless it became mainstream I expect they'd be very wary of punching their details into (effectively) a stranger's smartphone. It just wouldn't lend itself to impulse purchases.

At least with the PayPal method it's familiar and virtually instant (i.e. a card swipe and a PIN entry) and of course the PayPal brand is very well established.