PDA

View Full Version : ADJ: How insulting!!!!!

Corabar Entertainment
31-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Looking through the Pro Mobile Newsletter that arrived in my inbox this morning, I noticed a little red-blue laser from ADJ called the "Micro Royal Galaxian"

I decided to have a little further investigation on the net. Yes, it's a micro laser, so I am not expecting it to light up Wembley Stadium (or even the arena for that matter :p ), but I did think that we might have a specific use for a little laser like this.

Everywhere is saying that it's ideal "to light up any party" or for the mobile entertainer, blah, blah, blah...

Then I had a look at the ADJ site (http://www.americandj.eu/default/micro-royal-galaxian.html) at the specs, and noticed something at the bottom which has really got my back up:-

Please note: This laser effect is for DJ and home use, not intended for commercial use.

If a company named 'American DJ' doesn't think of DJs as 'commercial' what hope have we got?

I totally appreciate what they are trying to say, but the way they have worded it I find totally insulting to the industry!

:Censored: :Censored: :Censored:

Mark Wild
31-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I totally appreciate what they are trying to say, but the way they have worded it I find totally insulting to the industry!

:Censored: :Censored: :Censored:

Agreed :)

May be they should have prefixed 'DJ' with 'Bedroom'

Excalibur
31-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm fairly sure I was indulging in Commerce last time I looked. I distinctly remember people giving me money for my services. ;) :D :D

If they had used the word "Industrial", would they have been nearer the mark? I can't think of a better term than that to indicate a professional lighting company, rather than me hanging one off the end of my overhead. :confused: :confused: I'm not happy that it's a good word to use. :( Can anyone find a better one?

Dynamic Entertainment
02-04-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm fairly sure I was indulging in Commerce last time I looked. I distinctly remember people giving me money for my services. ;) :D :D

If they had used the word "Industrial", would they have been nearer the mark? I can't think of a better term than that to indicate a professional lighting company, rather than me hanging one off the end of my overhead. :confused: :confused: I'm not happy that it's a good word to use. :( Can anyone find a better one?

Maybe, not for fixed installation....

yourdj
02-04-2012, 04:12 AM
http://thedjbusiness.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Micro-Royal-Galaxian-ADJ1.jpg

Buying in to cheap crap from a chinese (probably) mass production scheme is why we get cheap lighting
these days but a company like ADJ need to sell proper stuff or it will end up with a reputation like Maplins. :)

paul1404
02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.maplin.co.uk/red-laser-crab-25138

nothing wrong with Mapling they sell the laser crab lol

ianforest
02-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Well, for as long as DJ's keep buying this cheap tat then companies like ADJ, Prolight, Kam, Chuvvit, etc. will keep on making it and selling it.

Corabar Steve
02-04-2012, 07:40 PM
That's rather insulting to those of us that use those brands Ian.

yourdj
02-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Not sure why this is so insulting? There are plenty of DJ's who do house parties.

Corabar Entertainment
02-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Not sure why this is so insulting? There are plenty of DJ's who do house parties.

...but that isn't what it says, Toby!

Mark Wild
02-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I bought a little KAM RB300 on ebay for £57 from gear4djs and to be honest these little lasers are quite impressive for what they are.

HeartandSoul
04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Yep, I bought a small panoramic laser the other day for a specific job, and yes it's cheap Chinese but it did the trick perfectly. I do think the adj comment is a bit off, their marketing team has poss moved to china too?

mattred
10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
It could be worded better but I understand what they mean. I know plenty of cheaper pieces of equipment, for example mixers, which would be fine for mobile use if being used by one person who treats it well. Put it in a busy nightclub and a fader would break within a weekend!!

I own a Allen and Heath Xone DX (which wasn't cheap when I first got it) and while its a great bit of kit the mixer faders are no where near as industrial as a pioner djm 800 mixer so while it has lasted me so far about 18months it wouldn't last that as a club install.
I would describe it as not suitable for commercial installs but it is a professional bit of kit as I class myself as a professional and I own one.

Thames Valley Discos
10-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Thought most of the gear they sold was for home use?

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Thought most of the gear they sold was for home use?

Why would you think that then? :confused:

gear4djs
10-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I bought a little KAM RB300 on ebay for £57 from gear4djs and to be honest these little lasers are quite impressive for what they are.

Glad you agree Mark - these are superb units :)

Concerning the American DJ 'home use' comment - that's down to your own interpretation to be honest. The KAM one has a 100mW red and 80mW blue laser and that's a very punchy little laser, whilst the ADJ Micro Galaxian is 80mW red and 60mW green and blue, so it would seem that these units are not worlds apart in capability. Actually, they both have their own advantages.

Mike @ Gear4DJs

Corabar Entertainment
10-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Concerning the American DJ 'home use' comment - that's down to your own interpretation to be honest. How can you say that?

It's ADJ who's lumped all DJs in with home users, and categorised everything else as 'commercial'.

gear4djs
11-04-2012, 09:46 AM
How can you say that?

It's ADJ who's lumped all DJs in with home users, and categorised everything else as 'commercial'.

What I meant was that the usage of the item is down to your own interpretation - if you feel that the Micro Royal Galaxian is good for your own purposes based on the technical specifications, then there you go :) you could easily use these for a lot of different types of DJ show, hence why I used the KAM RB300 as an example.

It's most likely an error in the product description - completely inoffensive and accidentla. I've only seen this applied to things such as mood lights (which could be genuinely described as a home product in most instances). It contradicts the rest of the Micro Galaxian description, which describes it as "ideal for mobile entertainers, bands, night clubs and bars or any party goers".

Mike @ Gear4DJs