PDA

View Full Version : Pursuing money owed from other suppliers not clients

Spirits High
02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Tackling clients that owe me fees I have no problem with. The usual procedure of registered letters, emails , phonecalls and ultimately debt recovery agents usually does the trick.

But if you'd sold a service or goods to another supplier be they a florist , caterer or any other part of the "Wedding Industry" how long would you class as a "fair period of time" for repayment?

Just intrigued as I have money owed by a supplier and thought I'd ask the general consensus before persuing it through debt recovery.

Would it influence your decision to pursue things if you knew that you weren't the only person owed money?

Corabar Entertainment
03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Is this someone you know, Paul, or had other dealings with, or just a general 'contact'?

Have you received any communication from them as to why they haven't paid you?

Spirits High
03-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Is this someone you know, Paul, or had other dealings with, or just a general 'contact'?

It's actually a local supplier to me that I sold some goods to

Have you received any communication from them as to why they haven't paid you?

A part payment has been made but there is still monies outstanding.

I've spoken on the phone to them and such things as "I need to pay my rent" or "I'm just waiting for some cash" are the usual conversations.

It's not a massive amount of money but it's the principle of it. I wouldn't let a punter turn me over so why should a supplier be any different?

It'll cost me £25 to get the debt recovery agents to act so may well look at that. At least then if they don't pay up I can ultimately get a CCJ against them.

Corabar Entertainment
03-04-2012, 12:29 AM
It sounds like you've given them plenty of time and opportunity, Paul.

Personally, unless it was someone who was a close friend, I wouldn't have allowed them to take possession of the goods without full payment, but if you agreed instalments and they've reneged on that agreement, then it's tantamount to theft in my book and leopards don't change their spots.

I think you should take action if only for the principal of it.... it might make them think twice about doing it to others!

Could you re-take possession of the goods and re-sell to recoup your losses?

DazzyD
03-04-2012, 12:37 AM
A "fair period" is exactly what you agreed on when you agreed the payment terms and signed on the dotted line. For me, fourteen days over would be "seriously overdue" and would be the trigger for further recovery action but that time is up to you. Some B2B agree on 30, 60 or even 90 days but, for a small operator like me, where cashflow is king, then it has to be 14 days.

Spirits High
03-04-2012, 12:40 AM
It sounds like you've given them plenty of time and opportunity, Paul.

More than , this has been ongoing since last year.

Personally, unless it was someone who was a close friend, I wouldn't have allowed them to take possession of the goods without full payment, but if you agreed instalments and they've reneged on that agreement, then it's tantamount to theft in my book and leopards don't change their spots.

I think you should take action if only for the principal of it.... it might make them think twice about doing it to others!

It's not a close friend just an acquaintance I know through the industry. For the principal of the matter and for the protection of others I'm going to instruct the debt recovery agents that I've used successfully before.

Could you re-take possession of the goods and re-sell to recoup your losses?

Possibly but not as simple as it sounds as I have reason to believe the goods have since been re sold.

Shaun
03-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Sounds like he ripped you off right good and proper.

Completely agree with Angela. I'd take legal proceedings out of principle.

Spirits High
03-04-2012, 12:53 AM
A "fair period" is exactly what you agreed on when you agreed the payment terms and signed on the dotted line. For me, fourteen days over would be "seriously overdue" and would be the trigger for further recovery action but that time is up to you. Some B2B agree on 30, 60 or even 90 days but, for a small operator like me, where cashflow is king, then it has to be 14 days.

Dazzy, this wasn't a B&G Wedding gig type thing but sale of some goods to someone within the industry so no contracts per se were signed.

In my past job in the Army people wouldn't have dared to try and turn me over as they would have incurred the wrath (I was the Sergeant Major ;) ) but still 3 years on after leaving the Army although I have chilled alot from that way of life I still struggle with things not happening when & where & how they're supposed too!

Leicester Ben
03-04-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm surprised that you haven't done this before mate, get on the case. I don't know who it is that has done it to you, would shaming them on here help? Would people on here be familiar with the supplier?

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted!

Jonathan Ford
03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
I'd say 90 days is the absolute maximum I'd be willing to wait. After that, timue to pursue it as vigorously as you can. All the best.

CRAZY K
03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Tackling clients that owe me fees I have no problem with. The usual procedure of registered letters, emails , phonecalls and ultimately debt recovery agents usually does the trick.

But if you'd sold a service or goods to another supplier be they a florist , caterer or any other part of the "Wedding Industry" how long would you class as a "fair period of time" for repayment?

Just intrigued as I have money owed by a supplier and thought I'd ask the general consensus before persuing it through debt recovery.

Would it influence your decision to pursue things if you knew that you weren't the only person owed money?

As its business to business Trading Standards told me different rules apply and apparently THEY cant help--when I asked last year.:eek:

Normal advice, recorded delivery letter, threat of legal action after x days if no response.

Unless you agreed under Contract the payment terms then its up to a court to decide-- if you go there.

Presumably 30 days would be considered as reasonable.

Time to get nasty:daft: :daft: :daft:

I wouldnt take account of other people---if you all sue him he will probably go bust and you will get precious little---get in there now for your money;)

DazzyD
03-04-2012, 12:58 PM
As its business to business Trading Standards told me different rules apply and apparently THEY cant help--when I asked last year.:eek:

Normal advice, recorded delivery letter, threat of legal action after x days if no response.

Unless you agreed under Contract the payment terms then its up to a court to decide-- if you go there.

Presumably 30 days would be considered as reasonable.

Time to get nasty:daft: :daft: :daft:

I wouldnt take account of other people---if you all sue him he will probably go bust and you will get precious little---get in there now for your money;)

It was my understanding that TS were more involved with B2B situations. They don't offer consumer services but instead will refer consumers to ConsumerDirect or Citizens Advice. Maybe things have changed in the last couple of years. Actually, thinking about it, TS is a Local Authority service provided by your local council. With the LA cuts imposed over the last couple of years, maybe they are not able to provide a full service in your area?

DJDC
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I know this feeling I'm still owed some money from a DJ for the purchase of lights last August through another forum, they paid so much in dribs and drabs but still owed £75, I contact them every so often remining them they owe me sometimes I get a response, or a small additional payment, other times I don't. I last contacted them mid feb and heard nothing since.

I'm also owed a full fee from a disco I covered at the end of September, the DJ was paid in advance but could not do it so asked me to cover with payment to follow of over the following few weeks, to date i've not received a penny. They and several other DJ's know the money is owed but several promises have come and gone, I see them occasionally but if they mention it they do nothing to sort it out. They have given me a booking to cover in June, but they have taken the deposit, ive seen them buy and sell loads of gear, and look to be working most weekends, DJ'ing is also their only job, and they have had some things themselves to deal with but, How long should I wait?

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
I know this feeling I'm still owed some money from a DJ for the purchase of lights last August through another forum, they paid so much in dribs and drabs but still owed £75, I contact them every so often remining them they owe me sometimes I get a response, or a small additional payment, other times I don't. I last contacted them mid feb and heard nothing since.

I'm also owed a full fee from a disco I covered at the end of September, the DJ was paid in advance but could not do it so asked me to cover with payment to follow of over the following few weeks, to date i've not received a penny. They and several other DJ's know the money is owed but several promises have come and gone, I see them occasionally but if they mention it they do nothing to sort it out. They have given me a booking to cover in June, but they have taken the deposit, ive seen them buy and sell loads of gear, and look to be working most weekends, DJ'ing is also their only job, and they have had some things themselves to deal with but, How long should I wait?

You shouldn't have to wait at all.

Money or moneyclaim online.

There is no excuse if they have already been paid.

DJDC
12-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I've just spoke to the one person who now only owes me the £75 I had prepared the paperwork for money claim and saved it online in January but then they made a couple of small payments. It's just the remaining amount to cover but it sounds that they may not be getting much work in to make ends meet. The other person i've not seen or heard from in about 4 weeks, but they moan to friends that I have mentioed to them that this person owes me.

It's nice and easy with clients, as they accept your T&C's and if it goes wrong you have a better position to come from, businesses different kettle of fish, but dealing with other DJ's is definately the hardest one to deal with. The DJ offered to cover one of my bookings for free, but i'm not a person who sends someone else out under my banner, pretending to be me, and potentially risking my reputation. If there was the potential for negative feedback I'd rather it be in my control to influence a different outcome from the outset.

Vectis
12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
It's nice and easy with clients, as they accept your T&C's and if it goes wrong you have a better position to come from, businesses different kettle of fish

Errr... perhaps this is the root cause of the problem.

Just because you're dealing with another business, they're still a client and a paper trail should ensue. If not a formal contract (mistake #1) then presumably from an accounting point of view an invoice was prepared for the goods/services provided? And in fact you're now in the position of chasing an unpaid invoice? Or was that mistake #2? :o

If you've just handed over goods/services on a nod and a wink then you deserve the aggro IMHO.

DJDC
12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
With the goods an invoice was raised the person made an agreed part payment with the rest to follow at an agreed time, unfortunately as they were a member on A forum and the purchase was made through the same forum, I accepted this in good faith, and provided the items, and have struggled with the other 2 3rds owed. The owe me around a third at present. I do always now require full payment first or full Cash on collection or delivery.

With the booking I covered, again a member on a forum and I'd covered a booking for them previously through the forum with no problem, with the job in question they gave me the online event details, I turned up in good time did a good job, with good feedback, even though some things were dropped on me on the night, literally minutes before the wedding reception started I coped, AND PCDJ DEX packed up before I started so had to rely on my emergency CD collection, and itunes, (before I had a second laptop, and backup HD). Unfortunately the payment aspect was only discussed over the phone when I was asked to cover the job, they told me they were paid ages ago and would come round a few days later pay up half with the other half to follow the following week upon completion of that weeks bookings. They have since offered 2 payments in Feb which did not materialise, they know where I live, have my number and they were well aware they owed the money when I last saw them. I could go on but I'm not...... They say you live and learn, I have since covered bookings for other DJ's on here and other forums with no problems, and was paid when stated where payment was made after an event. I've also brought and sold equipment, and will say those I've dealt on other occasions have been honest and reliable.

Vectis
12-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Then the first scenario is easy to deal with. Actually it should already have been dealt with on the invoice due date but hey ho.

Issue a statement of account showing the invoice number and amount followed by payments received. Give them 7 days to clear in full otherwise you will commence recovery action and start to add interest for late payment (search for this on business link to find out acceptable interest rates). Then on day 8 if not paid Moneyclaim them. You have a full paper trail so should be an open and shut case. You still might not see the money but if they don't cough it's gonna cost them (or one/all of their directors if incorporated) a CCJ.

DJDC
12-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Cheers vectis for your response.

I did find this....... https://payontime.co.uk/late-payment-legislation-interest-calculators, might not mean much on £75, but if I could sort the other issue out its £180 on 6 months. Aim is to have this resolved before I submit my books to the accountants in the next month or so.