PDA

View Full Version : Is black set-up right for weddings?

musicologydisco
16-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Had a comment a couple of weeks back and just remembered.
My set up happens to be white but I know most of you, particularly those using cloth of some kind, have a black set-up. The bride said she liked the look of mine at a previous wedding she'd been to because it didn't look unsightly where it was while they were having the meal etc.
When you think about it the venues for a wedding tend to have a white theme and then a Dj comes along and sets up a big black booth which could be there all day until used in the evening which is the only time it looks good with all the disco lights going!
Should we all be thinking more about how our kit looks in situ all day at a wedding, often in bright daylight in a marquee, and do you do anything to try and make your kit less obvious when it's not being use?

CRAZY K
16-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Had a comment a couple of weeks back and just remembered.
My set up happens to be white but I know most of you, particularly those using cloth of some kind, have a black set-up. The bride said she liked the look of mine at a previous wedding she'd been to because it didn't look unsightly where it was while they were having the meal etc.
When you think about it the venues for a wedding tend to have a white theme and then a Dj comes along and sets up a big black booth which could be there all day until used in the evening which is the only time it looks good with all the disco lights going!
Should we all be thinking more about how our kit looks in situ all day at a wedding, often in bright daylight in a marquee, and do you do anything to try and make your kit less obvious when it's not being use?

I dont use a booth or do early set ups but would think theres no problem with black-- surely its a natural complimentary colour to white.

Would be interested to see what the regulars say--I guess having white must be a nightmare for keeping spotless---every mark shows--unlike black and would look shabby after regular use unless cleaned regularly.

Gary
16-04-2012, 11:15 PM
I used to use some white Martin Audio speakers for certain events, but they were such a pain to keep clean. I think that dirty/marked white looks worse than black.

I do use a large starcloth booth, with two black wool serge clothes on it. The white LEDs on it are bright enough for me to consider trying to source (hint hint!) a white piece of fabric to velcro over the top of the black and simply let the LEDs in the black cloth beneath, shine through the white.

djrobentertainment
17-04-2012, 05:32 AM
My starcloth is reversible and I have white and black scrims

Mark Wild
17-04-2012, 10:24 AM
It's hard to generalise really as all rigs are different, some more 'unsightly' than others but I think black looks great done properly.

Is everything you use white? Speakers etc? Do you have a pic? I'm intrigued :)

Vectis
17-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I think that whilst the majority of equipment remains black by default, then white is going to be more noticeable because of the rarity value.

What happens when you're asked to set up on a stage area which to all intents and purposes is a dark hole in the wall... surely the white gear stands out a mile?

What about weddings which are colour themed for example black and gold? (very common round these parts)

What about when you rock up and set up next to a 6-piece band, all with black gear and the usual snake pit of cables and chrome?

What about when you're building out in an old manor house with dark wood panelled walls?

I think white has a place in SOME situations, but I'd still argue that black is best for the majority.

Mark Wild
17-04-2012, 10:55 AM
After reading VV's comments, when you think about it, do weddings ever have a white theme? Apart from the dress and the table cloths for the most part.

Ryu
17-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I have 3 custom cloth fronts I use, Black, Ivory White and a Black with coloured with musical notes for Children's parties.

As I can source good quality material and get them fitted to size by a seamstress friend, I have offered to buy in colour matched fronts if neccessary. I've still used the black for most and has been the chosen colour for all but 1 of the 16 I've offered it to this year.

musicologydisco
17-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Interesting that some have thought about it and try to adjust to their surroundings whilst others don't see it as an issue at all.

DazzyD
17-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I used to have a white front cloth and it was pretty bad, to be honest. It stood out like a sore thumb and I never really liked using it. The black one I use now does what it is intended to do. It hides the equipment I use along with all the cables coming out of said kit. I also think it looks good in daylight and, to be fair, it's not meant to be a talking point.

After reading VV's comments, when you think about it, do weddings ever have a white theme? Apart from the dress and the table cloths for the most part.

Thinking about it, I've never seen a white-themed venue for a wedding. It's usually pink, purple, lilac, red or black and gold. Even tablecloths have been more pink/red than they have white (although some venues had used a white cloth under the coloured top cloth on their tables). Besides, I think a full-on white theme would make the venue feel very cold and not create a warm atmosphere.

Shaun
17-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Interesting that some have thought about it and try to adjust to their surroundings whilst others don't see it as an issue at all.

Unless I were to go the whole route and have every aspect of my setup white (speakers, lighting, poles..etc etc), it seems pretty pointless having a white cloth when everything else in my setup is black.

Mark Wild
17-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Unless I were to go the whole route and have every aspect of my setup white (speakers, lighting, poles..etc etc), it seems pretty pointless having a white cloth when everything else in my setup is black.

Agreed, hence my question to the OP in post #5?

HeartandSoul
17-04-2012, 02:23 PM
It's a good point, I have always used black by default. I suspect white will look good in certain circumstances, but the thought of keeping it clean fills me with horror......

musicologydisco
17-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Agreed, hence my question to the OP in post #5?

No just my booth is white but it is obviously the biggest part of the kit area wise. Just mentioned it because the customer did and she thought it looked better!
See my website if you're that interested.

Tonsk
17-04-2012, 09:55 PM
I offer bride and grooms the choice.

They can have the white setup, where I can uplight the front and scrims with their wedding colour like this:

http://www.therightmusic.co.uk/images/elms-barn-wedding-venue.jpg

or in black like this:

http://www.therightmusic.co.uk/images/elms-barn-toft-monks-wedding.jpg

Most go for the white, as they like the fact they can change/match the colour - however quite a few have now opted for the black.

Each to their own.

MikeW
18-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I offer bride and grooms the choice.

They can have the white setup, where I can uplight the front and scrims with their wedding colour like this:

http://www.therightmusic.co.uk/images/elms-barn-wedding-venue.jpg

or in black like this:

http://www.therightmusic.co.uk/images/elms-barn-toft-monks-wedding.jpg

Most go for the white, as they like the fact they can change/match the colour - however quite a few have now opted for the black.

Each to their own.

Looks familiar. I find it it works really well. I can turn my screen round to show a black screen if required.

Mark Wild
18-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Each to their own.

Indeed :) Nice pics btw, I prefer the black booth :o

MikeW
18-04-2012, 09:41 AM

I am in denial!:)

Excalibur
18-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Personally, I haven't worked in many black marquees. :p However, to be slightly more serious, I have worked in many with the "Night Sky" starcloth/backdrop, and of course the black kit blends in with that.

Making the kit appear unobtrusive in any way when it's not being used is obviously a great idea, however it's done.

Me too, by a long long way.

mattred
23-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I have worked for a company who have a white set up and it's pretty popular. White booth, dancefloor and speakers. Looks really nice at christmas and white goes with any colour theme at weddings

Matt

spin mobile disco
28-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I did experiment with a white setup but found that it had a similar clash with venues as did the black as in the dark it stands out liek a sore thumb. And already been said the white is more difficult to keep clean especially when in a hurry to setup / packdown.
A local drape company that decorates venues told me that a lot of their chair covers wall drapes etc are only used once before being ditched and they factor that into the price. Apparently wines at dinner etc cost more to clean out than to simply replace the material.
I do like the pics but in my particular setup it would be an occasional use compared to a lot of use with my black starcloth type look.

PureWeddingDJs
10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
black for me, never goes out of fashion. cant see dirt, and blends in.

desiredisco
08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I would honestly say that the choice of black or white depends entirely on the venue.

There's no point in saying that you want your setup to "stand out" when the bride may want your setup to blend in. I carry both a white and black setup, usually I go with the black as it's easier to hide cables, but my clients are always given the option.