PDA

View Full Version : DMX CABLE - PLEase reply quickly!!

Sam
08-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi guys, about to place an order.
Can this cable be the one to go from the DMX light to the controller.
http://www.ebdj.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?product_id=10852

Cheers

A1DL
08-10-2006, 07:47 PM
yes, the cable will do what you've described, however looking at the price, I would doubt the quality of the cable.

get decent signal cables, Vandamme with Neutrik connectors. Those cheap ready made cables are crap and will last 5 minutes.

Sam
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
cheers

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-10-2006, 08:21 PM
yes, the cable will do what you've described, however looking at the price, I would doubt the quality of the cable.

get decent signal cables, Vandamme with Neutrik connectors. Those cheap ready made cables are crap and will last 5 minutes.

Decent signal cables for sound, I definately agree with, but will it really make that much difference for DMXing a few lights?

I've had cheap XLRs I use for master and slave linking for years and never had any problems.

alexperrins
08-10-2006, 08:25 PM
They appear to be Prolight and will no doubt be the best compatible cables if you have Prolight/Acme/Wildtech gear. I own the exact same cables and they are pretty sturdy.

A1DL
08-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Decent signal cables for sound, I definately agree with, but will it really make that much difference for DMXing a few lights?

I've had cheap XLRs I use for master and slave linking for years and never had any problems.

Thing is Daz, on LX the connectors have just as much wear and tear, if not more than on sound, as they're often being rigged/derigged in more awkward positions at heights. Some heads, in particular Abstract, have quite tight fitting XLRs, and a few tugs on those cheap cables and they just break :mad:

Sam
08-10-2006, 08:34 PM
ohhh well.. ordered it now.. to go with my new pilot 250 :teeth:
if it isnt up to scratch will think again ay?!

Danno13
08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
As a general rule, CPC are cheapest for pretty much anything cable/hardware orrientated...

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV02525

And it doesn't matter if its unbranded for DMX, you'll save enough to have a couple extra as spares.

Sam
08-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Cheers mate:-) Will bear in mind for the future.

Sam

DMX Will
08-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Regarding this, I don't believe in spending money on DMX cables. The CPC ones Dan has linked to are the exact ones I use (except in longer lengths).

However the difference between a normal XLR and a DMX lead is that DMX leads are sheilded, where as sound cables tend not to be. DMX is a dodgy protocol, and can often just flick out of control, shielded cables help prevent that from occouring mid-show! (For those that arn't aware, sheilding it covering up the pins/bar cable inside the plugs/sockets with a non-electrical conductor).

So the CPC cables are great, providing you sheild them :). But you don't even need to do that if you running a few meters with few fixtures (under 10) in the line.

Regarding pulling and breaking.....never experienced a CPC cable "break" because of this, and if it does....you can re-solder it, don't waste your money!