PDA

View Full Version : Popped Disc, advice for DJing

rjs968
09-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm not new to the forum, but havent posted much as I have been laid up with a dodgy back. Basically I popped a disc lugging my speakers around a while back.

Its on the mend, but DR's have advised not to lift and carry for at least another 6-12 months which has screwed me a bit.

Therefore I'm selling my old equipment and am going to move to digital etc.

Anyone else ever been in this situation who can offer advice?

thanks

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 12:23 PM
The obvious answer that springs to mind - hire a roadie! They can then do all the lifting for you :)

rjs968
09-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I have my wife!!!

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Hmmm - and does she know she's being volunteered? :teeth:

Silver
09-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm digital, use my laptop only.

I don't think it will save you much on the lifting front I'm afraid. I still have to lump amps, speakers, lights, boxes of cables etc. The only things I don't have now are mixing decks and cases of cd's.

The big issue here is, I would suggest is £££££'s. To start with you need to purchase a good laptop, say £900 + (plus a spare laptop for the same outlay), sound card £120, 2 external hard drives (one spare) £200, you'd have to be looking at £1500 min. I obviuosly don't know your financial situation :) as to whether or not that's ok. One thing I would say though is if you've got the cash then DO IT! It's great and a lot easier all over.

To get lighter speakers but still retain quality and performance, then you're talking big bucks, as I'm sure more learned people on here would tell you, costing thousands. I was looking at some smaller quality units, can't recall the name and they were £6000 a pair! :omg:

Sorry I can't be the bearer of happier tidings.

Dragonfly
09-10-2006, 01:24 PM
well my friend you have come to the right place......

I was born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus and thus mobility and back issues are a long term issue . i cut down the weight of my gear dramatically last year went to

mackie srm450 speakers so i had amps built in as my old peavey if you put wheels on it you could have sent it to war was like a tank

massive heavey nebulas x4 went and i got 6x acme dynamo

njd datamoons are currently getting sold and im thinking of the ishow is4 to replace as they are half a kilo lighter each

decks wise im looking at the cortex or equivelent to cut down on the lugging of cds about.

hope this helps.

only things ive not been able to source in a lightweight capacity yet is quality bass bins and barrel scanners.

Have a disco
09-10-2006, 01:40 PM
may I suggest some carlsboro flat speakers fairly new on the market but good enough for smaller venues or try getting Bose speakers just buy more

Or the big shot try contacting Cambridge Audio whom are inventing flat surround sound speakers that look like pictures and the power out put is that of a good mackie

rjs968
09-10-2006, 01:41 PM
cheers for the info guys, need to get rid of my existing equipment and then start to build up again. Luckily I already have a laptop that is good enough, so the bulk of my money will be used for speakers.

rjs968
09-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Hmmm - and does she know she's being volunteered? :teeth:

erm.....i'll have to soften the blow somehow :)

Dragonfly
09-10-2006, 01:44 PM
lol i also have a wife-die lol.

Tonsk
10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
if you want good quality low weight speakers, try the FBT Maxx 4's or 4a's.

Both are 300watt RMS the 4s are unpowered and are about £600ish a pair and are only 11kgs (I used a pair for ages, they sound fantastic and are lovely).

The 4as are powered, about £1000ish a pair and only weigh 15kgs - MUCH lighter than mackies...

I now use the FBT Maxx 6as, which are powered 900 watts a side speakers and they only weigh 29kgs, still lighter than most......

dj andy allwood
10-10-2006, 09:49 AM
hello i was involved in a car crash a few years ago and i damaged my neck and my back so i know exactly what you mean im just gonna be doing clubs now so the heaviest thing i have to carry is my cds lol

by the way silver i love your avator thingy lol