PDA

View Full Version : Roadies, and what to do with them!

Corabar Entertainment
07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
For those of you who use roadies, what do they do with themselves the rest of the night?

Even if they're your loo-break assistant, unless you have some sort of bladder infection, they are going to be stood there like a spare part most of the night.

So, do they go away and come back at the end of the night? Go and sit outside in the car park? Stand beside you looking like the proverbial bouncer? Sit down behind the decks looking pretty, or bored, or both - ie pretty bored?

...or have you found plenty of jobs for them to do during the night so that they really do form an integral part of the service, and, if so, what?

surround sounds
07-05-2012, 01:58 PM
My Roadie (girlfriend) comes with me most places..
Most of the time she is behind my 3x2 metre curtain playing on her ipad, If i need a song downloading i pass her i piece of paper and downloads it for me..
Most people does not even know she is there.. I have told her many time she does not need to come with me or hide behind the curtain but she enjoys it

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
It depends on the gig really. I do find that having someone to chat to makes the gig fly along and it's also good to have someone to look after the gear if you need the loo etc. I was working on my own tonight, but have an old school friend coming now to assist.

I think it only looks rubbish when someone sits there and has no interest in the gig at all.

Shakermaker Promotions
07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
I've never used a roadie but that's not to say I wouldn't.
I do agree that having someone there does make the gig fly by.
Last week at a wedding, the dance floor guy was on site and was chatting to me every now and then and it did seem to go quicker.

DazzyD
07-05-2012, 02:24 PM
My roadie is my brother as he's the driver of our outfit. His help in setting up and breaking down is invaluable as it speeds things up greatly. If I'm doing a basic DJing job, and we're local, he may go home for a few hours before coming back near the end. However, if I'm doing a kid's party, then he does the music while I'm running around like a complete nutter!

The original plan was for me to train him up to be a DJ but I have a major problem with handing over control to anybody. We've built the business up on my skills, experience and reputation and, although I know it's very selfish of me, I just can't bring myself to let him (or anyone else for that matter) fully take over. Even thought I know one day I'm going to have to do just that. But he does fill the role of "roadie" very well indeed!

Leicester Ben
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I have nothing against a roady, I think it looks really unprofessional though if they are stood / sat next to you all night.

If I had a 'proper' job I wouldn't take my friend / girlfriend with me for the same reason, even if they watched my desk for me while I went to the toilet or to make a cup of tea!!!!

If you are going to use a Roady then let them do the roady'ing and then they can sit elsewhere in the venue (main bar, carpark etc) or simply go home and come back.

Stu
07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
My roadie has been with me for about 5 years now! He is much more than just a box carrier; he is also a trained LJ and controls the lighting.

He also takes all requests and all that jazz.

And a brucey bonus, he is currently training to become an electrician!

Some of the venues i work (particularly the central london ones) would be impossible to work as a one man operation safely and securley.

Also, he is always dressed appropriatley for the gig. Usually smart trousers, white shirt, waistcoat and skinny tie for weddings.

I think the bad image some people have of roadies is down to the kind of guys that just sit there playing on their phone all night wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Not all roadies are like that.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
If I had a 'proper' job I wouldn't take my friend / girlfriend with me for the same reason

And if you employed someone to help do your job, which I believe you do?

Shakermaker Promotions
07-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Ben, so what you do then isn't a 'proper job'?
Does that mean that the rest of us here don't have 'proper jobs' too?
It does make me laugh when people say that. It's a full time job and therefore a 'proper job' in my opinion.

Andy Collins
07-05-2012, 03:10 PM
My Roadie, is an elecrician and DJ, so if I ever get stuck or lost for insperation he helps and takes over if required. Not to mention he does all my PAT testing and servicing :)

Leicester Ben
07-05-2012, 04:05 PM
He also takes all requests and all that jazz.

Surely a DJ can / should be the one to take requests on the night??

Ben, so what you do then isn't a 'proper job'?

By proper job I simply meant the stereotypical 'proper jobs' such as working in an office etc.

even if they watched my desk for me while I went to the toilet or to make a cup of tea!!!!

The joke was obviously wasted on you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicester Ben
If I had a 'proper' job I wouldn't take my friend / girlfriend with me for the same reason
And if you employed someone to help do your job, which I believe you do?

I employ a couple of people full time, neither of these bring their girlfriends to stand next to them at work to make the day go faster! :)

Don't get me wrong, its much more fun if you take a friend / roady with you to an event. I totally get that, my point is that they are NOT needed during the 'performance' and that in my opinion it looks unprofessional.

Our DJ's certainly don't take their partners / friends with them to events!

Corabar Entertainment
07-05-2012, 04:09 PM
This is all very interesting chaps, and I've got no problem with the thread going off on related tangents, but a few more people saying what their roadie does all night would be appreciated! :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2012, 04:09 PM
I employ a couple of people full time, neither of these bring their girlfriends to stand next to them at work to make the day go faster! :)

And I employ people to help with my business. They set up, carry stuff, take requests, help run things, drive vehicles etc and don't bring partners.

Where is the difference Ben?

Leicester Ben
07-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Where is the difference Ben?

Got to be honest, I'm slightly confused now. Have I missed something?

My point re roadies was that if they also stand next to you looking bored at a disco then I think that looks unprofessional. I'm not quite sure where the employing people bit came from??

This is all very interesting chaps, and I've got no problem with the thread going off on related tangents, but a few more people saying what their roadie does all night would be appreciated!

The list of what they can do is pretty short surely??

Take requests ... DJ can do that
Take over while the DJ goes to the loo ..... DJ can play a long song
Makes sure that kit isn't stolen ..... Never something I have had a problem with
Keep the DJ entertained, chat to him etc ...... Great, but looks unprofessional.
Make music suggestions ..... Surely a DJ can do that?

I could go on :)

Stu
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Surely a DJ can / should be the one to take requests on the night??

Why? I'm busy cueing up the next track/searching for a tune/mixing/sampling/etc/etc. The punter comes up to ask for a song, they aren't really bothered about who they ask so long as their song gets played.

The taking requests bit is just a small part of what roadies can do for you though.

It would be impossible for me to DJ and LJ at the same time to the same standard as the way we currently work with each of us concentrating on the one thing.

Corabar Entertainment
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
The list of what they can do is pretty short surely??

Take requests ... DJ can do that
Take over while the DJ goes to the loo ..... DJ can play a long song
Makes sure that kit isn't stolen ..... Never something I have had a problem with
Keep the DJ entertained, chat to him etc ...... Great, but looks unprofessional.
Make music suggestions ..... Surely a DJ can do that?

I could go on :)

...but the questions wasn't "What can a roadie do?" it's what DOES your roadie do - stay put, or bugger off, and if staying, what do they do to keep busy during the night?

Dynamic Entertainment
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
On the occasions that Ive used a roadie, mine stays.

He takes requests, does a bit of DJing (that's what he's training for), and generally means ensures that i can get on with my job. I.e, goes to the bar for drinks, goes and works with the staff regarding the end of the night (switching the lights on at the right time etc) and is on hand to do those on the job lamp replacements.

He's in uniform and isn't sat there playing with his phone, he's up behind the console and learning the ropes.

ppentertainments
07-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Can't afford a Roadie so can't comment :mad:

Seriously - when I did use a roadie due to back problems I found them a bit of a hindrance once setup and had to keep checking they were not bored.

These days I could actually do with a roadie for slideshow, changeovers during the day organising notes for MC etc, but never use one due to reliability problems.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Can't afford a Roadie so can't comment :mad:

Seriously - when I did use a roadie due to back problems I found them a bit of a hindrance once setup and had to keep checking they were not bored.

These days I could actually do with a roadie for slideshow, changeovers during the day organising notes for MC etc, but never use one due to reliability problems.

Good point. When the projector system is out, they deal with that for me. Often the guests/client like bringing up their camera, so the roadie copies across the jpegs there and then and loads them into the slideshow, or recreates a new one.

Jiggles
07-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I put them in a little cage under the booth with some dry crackers and warm flat coke. :sj:

WWDJ
07-05-2012, 05:46 PM
This is all very interesting chaps, and I've got no problem with the thread going off on related tangents, but a few more people saying what their roadie does all night would be appreciated! :D

Well mine played on his phone all night and took a few photos for me and we had a good chat and I treated him to a few well earned pints.

I don't generally use a roadie but I will use a good mate to help me if I'm not feeling 100% or it's gonna be a difficult load in/out or long setup.

Javlingames
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I remember the days when roadies would play the music while the Dj was out the front entertaining! Showing my age now though!!

ajm
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I use my daughter as roadie. At first she use to just help set up/pack away, and play a few tracks at the beginning of the night.
Then I trained her to do Face Painting and I now charge extra for the service, she is especially popular at kids parties.
She now has her own website and gets other work at fetes etc which gives her some cash whilst studing her A Levels and hopefully will help her whilst at uni.

Shaun
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Great thread Angela.

I always use a roadie, and it's always a challenge to keep them active and look interested. I always explain the importance of looking 'engaged and approachable', even if inside they are screaming of boredom.

They handle requests, act as a go between between myself and the client/venue when I'm mixing. They take photos and video on occasion......and if they really do start to look bored I've been known to ask them to clean out the van for me. :d

I also insist that they don't sit down, slouch against the wall or play on their phone whislt behind the rig (all of which I've had issues with in the past). They know that there will be plenty of down time on the night for them, so if they need to sit, or just want to walk around the grounds, or play on their phone in the van, I really don't mind at all as long as they look interested switched on and approachable at all times whilst behind the rig.

I'll admit though it's a constant battle with me and I'm on their case more often than I like. I'll be following this thread with interest to see if I can pick up any further tips.

Excalibur
07-05-2012, 08:37 PM
For those of you who use roadies, what do they do with themselves the rest of the night?

Well, having had the privelege of roadying for Twinspin on a couple of occasions, by dint of my diligent endeavours, I have now been promoted to the positions of Chief Sound Engineer, ( I can now wire up a powered system unaided ) Gaffer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_(filmmaking) ), Deputy Logistics Officer, and Novice Button Pusher Trainee.

John deals entirely with Lighting ( partly because I don't understand any of it yet ),Music ( also because I'm still not safe to attempt to drive an MC600 yet, though I'm delighted to find that the deafness gene in its predecessor has been removed by a nifty spot of eugenics ) and Video ( cos that's another MC6000 function )

This division of labour seems to work very well for us.

Great thread Angela.

I always use a roadie, and it's always a challenge to keep them active and look interested.

I also insist that they don't sit down, slouch against the wall or play on their phone whilst behind the rig
I'll admit though it's a constant battle with me and I'm on their case more often than I like. I'll be following this thread with interest to see if I can pick up any further tips.
Hmmmmmmm. Working for John is beginning to loook like a walk in the park compared to this! :eek: I don't think I'll be applying for a position with Genghis Frame any time soon. ;)

JAMdisco
08-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Well, having had the privelege of roadying for Twinspin on a couple of occasions, by dint of my diligent endeavours, I have now been promoted to the positions of Chief Sound Engineer, ( I can now wire up a powered system unaided ) Gaffer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_(filmmaking) ), Deputy Logistics Officer, and Novice Button Pusher Trainee.

John deals entirely with Lighting ( partly because I don't understand any of it yet ),Music ( also because I'm still not safe to attempt to drive an MC600 yet, though I'm delighted to find that the deafness gene in its predecessor has been removed by a nifty spot of eugenics ) and Video ( cos that's another MC6000 function )

And there was me thinking he just needed transport :D :p

I too have 'roadied' for John i.e. transportation, carrying gear and helping set up. The rest of my night is mainly spent smoking outside :D :p

Shaun
08-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Hmmmmmmm. Working for John is beginning to loook like a walk in the park compared to this! :eek: I don't think I'll be applying for a position with Genghis Frame any time soon. ;)

:lol:

par6
08-05-2012, 03:12 PM
In my opinion, and it is just that, I hate the look of two people behind a DJ booth, especially when you see them obviously talking about the guests and having a chuckle :(
I'm with Ben on this.

Corabar Entertainment
08-05-2012, 03:17 PM
In my opinion, and it is just that, I hate the look of two people behind a DJ booth, especially when you see them obviously talking about the guests and having a chuckle :(
I'm with Ben on this.Fine... so, turning this around to the subject of this thread.... "Roadies and what to do with them" ...what's your solution?

par6
08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
what would I do with a roadie ? leave them at home :)

Corabar Entertainment
08-05-2012, 03:38 PM
what would I do with a roadie ? leave them at home :)
Very helpful there, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Excalibur
08-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm with Ben on this.
And I can remember years ago, when a couple of us worked for another DJ, punters being flabbergasted that we went out solo! Two folks was the bare minimum, in those days.

par6
08-05-2012, 03:42 PM
They're of no use to me so that would be the best place for them, .......for me :)

par6
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
And I can remember years ago, when a couple of us worked for another DJ, punters being flabbergasted that we went out solo! Two folks was the bare minimum, in those days.
There was a lot more gear though in the olden (?) days, around 1988 I had a twin wheel transit for all the gear and 10, yes ten, lightboxes was de riquer
:eek:

Shaun
08-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Very helpful there, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder why people reply to a thread that isn't applicable to them. :rolleyes:

Twinspin
18-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Sometimes when Peter comes and Roadies its like a household domestic when setup. Peter loves to argue with me :D :p But im totally unfazed by it. I just try to get everything setup as quick as possible :D

But as always Peters a great chap as many already know.

Peter got his promotion last friday to the Anti-Shock assistant manager haha.

Excalibur
19-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Sometimes when Peter comes and Roadies its like a household domestic when setup. Peter loves to argue with me :D .

Indeed, one venue manager described it as like watching the Chuckle Brothers, as we set up! :D

Penfold42
19-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I did use my godson for a roadie who was very good at setting up and sorting out.

When i was getting changed he would take over the start and play what he wanted until people arrived then he would behave.....:D

We sort of did a double act. we would both choose songs - he would use one half of the Denon i would use the other half and we would line tracks up trying to work out who's track was better for the follow on......to be honest we would have a laugh and joke and general banter behind the decks but never too over the top, I like to think it came over as two guys having fun on the decks.....but he would never use the mic, tried several times to engage him to use it but he didn't.

He would also take requests and give general banter to the guests.....to be honest in my opinion it worked well.......

Those were the days.....

lazersounds
19-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I use a "roadie" for childrens partys. He will provide the music while i'm out on the dancefloor entertaining the brats, I mean Kids. Would be near impossible to do both and I've found if you just stand their playing music then the kids soon get bored and start acting up :)

Excalibur
19-05-2012, 10:47 AM
IThose were the days.....
Ah, but nostalgia's not what it used to be Tony. ;) :D

On the handful of occasions when Justin and I have worked together, it has often morphed rapidly into "Smashie and Nicey ". :o

Corabar Steve
19-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I use a "roadie" for childrens partys. He will provide the music while i'm out on the dancefloor entertaining the brats, I mean Kids. Would be near impossible to do both and I've found if you just stand their playing music then the kids soon get bored and start acting up :)
Lazersounds, you do realise this part of the forum is publicly viewable & the forum does pick up quite well on Google.

Refering to the kids as brats may not do you any favours.