PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experiencing problems?

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Is anyone else experiencing any problems with the forum this afternoon?

Jiggles
09-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Well its a bit slow but that could be my laptop.

ian8limelight
09-10-2006, 04:38 PM
It's fine over here.

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Seems to have rectified itself now - I received a couple of error messages, and Richie received several automated emails about errors.... all within the span of a couple of minutes.

Shaun
09-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Is anyone else experiencing any problems with the forum this afternoon?

ALWAYS!!.

I think that's more down to my PC than actual forum problems though.

Paul James Promotions
09-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Fine here aswell :)

Sam
09-10-2006, 05:07 PM
and here

soundtracker
09-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Some of the spelling has been dreadful!

Sam
09-10-2006, 05:24 PM
we cant all be good spellers..

Silver
09-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Don't know about here, I'm not using it!

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
:confused: Are we still talking about the forum..... mind you, at your age Silver, I'm surprised you can use anything! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

musicbox
09-10-2006, 05:34 PM
The site been fine for us
But I have only just started posting
If thats any help

soundtracker
09-10-2006, 05:35 PM
we cant all be good spellers..
Yes you can, its just a matter of application. (or using a spellchecker!)

Jiggles
09-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Be like me and use google toolbar thanks to Steve :teeth:

musicbox
09-10-2006, 05:39 PM
ok point of interest is there a spell checker on the site as I cant find it.

Cheers

Jiggles
09-10-2006, 05:43 PM
No there isn't any spell checker and if there was i would be using it :teeth:

Silver
09-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I dont need a spel cheker

soundtracker
09-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Be like me and use google toolbar thanks to Steve :teeth:
Sorry to tell you this Callum, I think your toolbar may be broken! :teeth:

Jiggles
09-10-2006, 05:52 PM
i think so hmmm lol

Sam
09-10-2006, 05:55 PM
yeh nice make us all feel welcome.

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
yeh nice make us all feel welcome.It's not a case of making you feel unwelcome, Sam, but nobody is born being able to spell - we all have to learn, and continue to learn all of our lives. Yes, some people may find it easier than others, some people have genuine difficulties (eg dylexia), and we all make mistakes, but with the advent of spell checkers, etc it is a lot easier.

It just seems sometimes that some people just say 'I can't spell' as if they are proud of the fact and don't even try and learn. IMHO, that shows a lack of respect to others (ie those who are trying to read what they have written, and to those who have genuine problems and work extremely hard to make themselves understood)

Posts with continual bad spelling and grammar can be very difficult for others to read or comprehend (I have to admit that there have been posts by members that I have given up trying to work out what they meant to say and just ignored it) - not to mention the fact that if you are in business (sending documentation to customers; writing advertising literature including a website, etc) then bad spelling and grammar may put potential customers off as they won't see you as professional. Therefore, it is a good idea to get into the habit of trying to use correct spelling and grammar wherever and whenever you can..... that way it will eventually sink in.

Jiggles
09-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I maybe one of them. :embarasse I cant spell but i try my best and i learn all the time :teeth:

Corabar Steve
09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I maybe one of them. :embarasse I cant spell but i try my best and i learn all the time :teeth:
Maybe, but you may be able to learn :teeth:

(Waits for pokey out tongue smilie reply :teeth: )

DMX Will
09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Posts with continual bad spelling and grammar can be very difficult for others to read or comprehend (I have to admit that there have been posts by members that I have given up trying to work out what they meant to say and just ignored it) - not to mention the fact that if you are in business (sending documentation to customers; writing advertising literature including a website, etc) then bad spelling and grammar may put potential customers off as they won't see you as professional. Therefore, it is a good idea to get into the habit of trying to use correct spelling and grammar wherever and whenever you can..... that way it will eventually sink in.

Spot on. Well said that gal

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Spot on. Well said that gal
:omg: :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
LOL! :teeth:

djbigdevs
09-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Just for those worried spelling has NO relation to intelligence!!

Alot of people (such as the older ones :) ) may think they are just bad spellers when in actual fact they are dyslexic.

Alot of business people (especially entrepreneurs) are dyslexic.
60% of the World's richest men are dyslexic.

Albert Einstein was dyslexic so too is Bill Gates.

Spell checkers can help in some circumstances but not always.

There are also different 'levels' of dyslexia from mild to severe.

Whilst it can be very hard for us to read it & make sense of it - imagine how hard & frustrating it is for people who can't spell.

No one's 'having a go' at anyone or deliberately making you feel unwelcome - everyone on here is extremely friendly & helpful, escpecially the mods/owners etc.

Oh and I didn't have any probs with the forum today. :)

Creature
10-10-2006, 07:13 AM
i am regesterded delexic and i know my spelling/numbers is bad - to be honest even using spell checkers dont work. in fact often makes it worse

Silver
10-10-2006, 07:42 AM
We seem to have strayed way off topic here but hey ho, it has brought up an interesting debate.

I seriously put a lot of spelling shortcomings in people down to 'text speak'.

It infuriates me to see m8, gr8 2moro etc. I never use text speak and will send two messages rather than condense it into one using text speak.

People get out of the habit of thinking how to construct a sentence and spelling correctly due to it. There we are time to climb down off my old soap box :teeth: Maybe I'm just getting old :)

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
We seem to have strayed way off topic here but hey ho, it has brought up an interesting debate.

I seriously put a lot of spelling shortcomings in people down to 'text speak'.

It infuriates me to see m8, gr8 2moro etc. I never use text speak and will send two messages rather than condense it into one using text speak.

People get out of the habit of thinking how to construct a sentence and spelling correctly due to it. There we are time to climb down off my old soap box :teeth: Maybe I'm just getting old :)
Hear Hear!

Corabar Entertainment
10-10-2006, 01:11 PM
i am regesterded delexic and i know my spelling/numbers is bad - to be honest even using spell checkers dont work. in fact often makes it worse...and that's fair enough Creature, but my point was that there are too many people who don't have any real problems who just can't be bothered to put any effort in: which IMHO shows little respect for others - including genuine dyslexics who (in my experience) put a lot of effort into trying to get it right.

TBH - I can't say that I've had any problems understanding any of your posts

Creature
10-10-2006, 08:26 PM
I can't say that I've had any problems understanding any of your posts

thats because i have accepted and aknowledge that I have a problem, and will read a post thru a few times before hitting the post button. Not always get all of the errors but most.

As for many who may have genuine problems, but they either refuse to aknowledge they have a problem or maybe they have had it drummed into them thay are thick or stupid.

I must agree about the phone text thing tho - has made people lazy and i believe many of the less academic youngsters dont know any better :(

then theres the ones who soit at there comps drinking most of teh night - they post often without thinking or knowing what they have posted

then as u say those who probally type to fast for there brain to keep up and then dont check what they have written (not saying these peopel are thick or anything)