PDA

View Full Version : Should Indie music be renamed?

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 08:03 PM
When most of the well known Indie bands are on majors? :confused: :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2006, 08:12 PM
When most of the well known Indie bands are on majors? :confused: :confused:

It's like anything Steve, it starts off by being something and ends up being another.

We still call 'pop', pop music don't we, but does it really mean that?

Opera is popular, but not called 'pop' for example.

soundtracker
10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Only if you call it Indie! Its got to be a rather broad church!

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2006, 08:14 PM
And also, as we all know, Motown is a record label, but most people see it as a genre, me included!!

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Pop is still popular, but Indie is by & large no longer independant

Don't take this the wrong way, but most people are stupid :mad: :)

If Indie was renamed, what should it be called?

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
New indie....

But pop doesn't mean popular anymore does it?

It did originally to differentiate (sp) between the music at the time.

Creature
10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
this is i think starting to be a problem - as has been stated what was Indie now bears little resembelence to whats released now.

The same can be said for R&B

Danno13
10-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Well indie music hasn't changed that much really.. just evolved like all music.

Dance (House) music now and in the 90s is different, but still close enough to be under the same genre, same with Indie.

Not sure what you'd call it really.. somewhere between Rock and Soft Rock.. so, umm.. Softy Rock?? :D

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
But pop doesn't mean popular anymore does it?
No it's become a genre but at least by being popular there is still a ring of truth here. Most indie is quite blatantly by definition not.

Corabar Entertainment
10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
But 'Indie' has become a word in its own right

Danno13
10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Yep, I agree, most don't even know it came from "independant"..

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Well indie music hasn't changed that much really.. just evolved like all music.
You're missing the point. The term indie was first coined as an abbreviation for independant, when the weeky music magazines published the Independant Charts (ie Charts compiled solely from sales of independant labels) However as the bulk of "Indie" style bands of the day were not on majors they took over the "Indie" Charts which is when it started to be confused with a genre.

My point is with the bulk of the popular "Indie" bands being on major labels how can the genre be called Indie any more?

Daz, more like NU Indie :teeth:

Danno13
10-10-2006, 08:45 PM
My reply was to Creature... who i think was suggesting that what was called Indie back in the 90s is different to Indie now.

I understand the point.. but like Angela said, the word has just been adopted as the name for that style of music.

Corabar Entertainment
10-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Not missing your point in the slightest Steve - just disagreeing with you!

Danno13
10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
By the way, see here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock for loads of confusing Sub-Genres... Just thought i'd confuse the topic even more :D:D:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
My point is with the bulk of the popular "Indie" bands being on major labels how can the genre be called Indie any more?

Because the name has been adopted for a style or genre of music.

Everything evolves Steve, like it or not.

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
My reply was to Creature... who i think was suggesting that what was called Indie back in the 90s is different to Indie now.True though it was still Independant then :teeth:

Daz, I didn't say I hadn't accepted the fact just that it seemed daft.

BTW the Wikkipedia entry completely flummoxed Angela, & Garage Punk, yes most were on indie labels & were guitar based but that's where te similarity ends :teeth: :teeth:

Maybe Indie Rock as per the wikki entry would be more suitable although that would eventually be abbreviated to Indie :mad: :) :mad:

LastMinuteDJs.net
10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Some would say the indie has now become popular... Should we just re-label it pop music...

At the Uni I DJ at they have 2 main nights - the 'commercial' night - playing R&B, Chart, Dance and Cheese, and the 'alternative' night - playing predominantly Indie and Rock. With the amount of Indie now in the commercial section tho, i've been joking for a while that the alternative night needs to start playing the cheese...

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Some would say the indie has now become popular... Should we just re-label it pop music...

At the Uni I DJ at they have 2 main nights - the 'commercial' night - playing R&B, Chart, Dance and Cheese, and the 'alternative' night - playing predominantly Indie and Rock. With the amount of Indie now in the commercial section tho, i've been joking for a while that the alternative night needs to start playing the cheese...
True & true :teeth:

Danno13
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Yep.. but the current popular music changes with the wind... a year or so ago it was funky house, before that RnB... so the definition of "pop" would always be changing. As it happens the phrase has just come to mean stuff like steps and kylie!

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
And also it depends on the age of the person using the term 'pop'

It could mean something completely different to someone who's in their 60s, to someone in their teens.

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 09:23 PM
And also it depends on the age of the person using the term 'pop'

It could mean something completely different to someone who's in their 60s, to someone in their teens.
A bit like Indie then :teeth:

Murrough
10-10-2006, 09:27 PM
I would like someone to actually define what a 'Rock' track is now please

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I would like someone to actually define what a 'Rock' track is now please
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: Start a new thread mate :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: