PDA

View Full Version : George Hotel, Edinburgh

DJ Davy
09-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Shaun posted previously about the George Hotel in Edinburgh... has anyone any further info on this?

Shaun
09-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I have a booking there this coming December. I was told previously that access was a nightmare so I called up the venue at the time of the enquiry, to get some further info. I can't remember exactly what they said (the booking was confirmed a while back), but as far as I can recollect said there was access at the rear for loading in the gear, but the van would have to be moved once the gear was loaded in. Best bet is give them a quick call to clarify.

DJ Davy
09-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Cheers Shaun, I have a booking next March there and couldn't find any info. I normally get in touch with the venue six weeks prior to the event to get a contact name and send PLI etc.... I don't want to call them just now and seem too keen!

leelive
10-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I have got 3 jobs (all weddings) there in one week in July.... will post after the events about how I get on.
Lee

Jiggles
10-06-2012, 01:23 AM
If someone wants me to I can scout it out for you all. :)

DJ Davy
10-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Cheers Lee, that would be good if you could do that.... Edinburgh has its fair share of nasty venues!

leelive
24-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I am happy to report that the George Hotel isn't as bad as I had anticipated.
It takes the staff 45mins to turn the room around so that was enough time to get set-up.

However, I had done a pre-assembly of my table with mixing desk, laptops, etc in the service lift!! I may have run over that time had I not done.
Here is a pic of the gear in the lift.
2 subs, 2 speakers and 4 scanner had to be brought up once I had emptied all this into the room.
http://www.lee-live.net/Gallery/images/serviceliftgeorge.jpg

The George do not want any equipment in the room until they have requested guests to depart to the library. I had a written agreement that I could with the Bride but this meant nothing. They are perfectionist and do not want the look of the room spoiling!!

Parking is outside at the back on a double yellow line.. so vehicles can only stay there after 6:30pm (Monday - Saturday). Which is ok as they seem to work towards 7pm for the start of the room turn-around. I just had to keep an eye on it until that time.

No equipment can be stored on the stairs. So everything has to go in the service lift or kept on level -1. Once I had filled the lift I sent it up to ground level and then filled it even more. Remember to check that the lift doors close properly - I had to leave a 10inch gap for the doors to slide in and out. But once it is upstairs it doesn't matter and can be overfilled ready for emptying into the room.

The George are seriously strict on documentation. It seems they had some DJ blow the power for a couple of hours and they had to refund a large chunk of money for the inconvenience caused at that event! So as well as your Public Liability Insurance and Portable Appliance Testing Certificate they need a complete list of EVERY item that you will be bringing on site. A Method Statement detailing how assembly will be undertaken and what Health and Safety procedures are to be used is also required.

In this video you can see the door at the back left of the room where you come in. The service lift is just behind that door.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jeYsyqRrpD0

The duty manager likes to welcome the Bride and Groom into the room and also to announce the cutting of the cake. Their PA system is really naff so at the second event I gave the guy my EW135 radio mic.

On one day the bar was in the same room.... on another it was in an adjoining room. I mention this because the bar staff play there own music in that room. I have told them that I will be bringing my LD wireless audio-transmission system with a small Mackie SRM150 for that room next time as I prefer everyone to hear what is happening in the main room.

If any of you guys have any questions let me know.

Lee

CRAZY K
24-07-2012, 04:50 PM
The George do not want any equipment in the room until they have requested guests to depart to the library. I had a written agreement that I could with the Bride but this meant nothing. They are perfectionist and do not want the look of the room spoiling!!

No equipment can be stored on the stairs. So everything has to go in the service lift or kept on level -1. Once I had filled the lift I sent it up to ground level and then filled it even more. Remember to check that the lift doors close properly - I had to leave a 10inch gap for the doors to slide in and out. But once it is upstairs it doesn't matter and can be overfilled ready for emptying into the room.

The George are seriously strict on documentation. It seems they had some DJ blow the power for a couple of hours and they had to refund a large chunk of money for the inconvenience caused at that event! So as well as your Public Liability Insurance and Portable Appliance Testing Certificate they need a complete list of EVERY item that you will be bringing on site. A Method Statement detailing how assembly will be undertaken and what Health and Safety procedures are to be used is also required.

In this video you can see the door at the back left of the room where you come in. The service lift is just behind that door.

The duty manager likes to welcome the Bride and Groom into the room and also to announce the cutting of the cake. Their PA system is really naff so at the second event I gave the guy my EW135 radio mic.

On one day the bar was in the same room.... on another it was in an adjoining room. I mention this because the bar staff play there own music in that room. I have told them that I will be bringing my LD wireless audio-transmission system with a small Mackie SRM150 for that room next time as I prefer everyone to hear what is happening in the main room.

Lee

Looks like you are bending over backwards to assist in every direction and the Hotel are doing the opposite.

Without wishing to teach my Granny---I would make it EXTREMELY CLEAR IN WRITING that any delay in starting is not your responsibility and is the responsibility of the Hotel.

Just in case they try and cut your fee- :daft: :daft: :daft:

I have had plenty of discussions with venues (through the client) over starting and finishing times and can report you need to be firm and fair with them.

Also dont forget your Contract is NOT with the Hotel so dont have any direct correspondence with them--they are not your client in law.

Strange Hotel thats takes 2 hours to mend a fuse :D

DJ Davy
24-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I am happy to report that the George Hotel isn't as bad as I had anticipated.
It takes the staff 45mins to turn the room around so that was enough time to get set-up.

However, I had done a pre-assembly of my table with mixing desk, laptops, etc in the service lift!! I may have run over that time had I not done.
Here is a pic of the gear in the lift.
2 subs, 2 speakers and 4 scanner had to be brought up once I had emptied all this into the room.
http://www.lee-live.net/Gallery/images/serviceliftgeorge.jpg

Parking is outside at the back on a double yellow line.. so vehicles can only stay there after 6:30pm (Monday - Saturday). Which is ok as they seem to work towards 7pm for the start of the room turn-around. I just had to keep an eye on it until that time.

Lee

Cheers Lee... Perfect review!

Shaun
28-12-2012, 12:46 PM
It seems they had some DJ blow the power for a couple of hours and they had to refund a large chunk of money for the inconvenience caused at that event! So as well as your Public Liability Insurance and Portable Appliance Testing Certificate they need a complete list of EVERY item that you will be bringing on site. A Method Statement detailing how assembly will be undertaken and what Health and Safety procedures are to be used is also required.

Thanks again for the review and the heads up regarding the documentation required. Normally I only carry my PLI, PAT & Produb with me to gigs, but took the extra documentation after reading your review. All the above you mentioned was asked for when I arrived.

leelive
28-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks again for the review and the heads up regarding the documentation required. Normally I only carry my PLI, PAT & Produb with me to gigs, but took the extra documentation after reading your review. All the above you mentioned was asked for when I arrived.

Super.
On a positive note.. I went to a wedding there with my wife (that rare event only occurred 'cause I had had a cancellation). The staff were so nice and we got free drinks from the duty manager served to our table before the bar had even opened in the room! It seems I had made a good impression djing there!

Lee