PDA

View Full Version : explicit lyrics

Dragonfly
12-10-2006, 06:47 AM
hi guys n gals

i know this will stir up good discussion ... i cant find a similar thread so my humble apologies if i have duplicated .....

was just wondering how you stand on explicit lyrics with rnb n hip hop so popular amongst the younger generations these artists seem to use expletives like normal people use please and thank you

is there any need for this language in music? .... a great man once said music breaks down boundaries and communicates across all cultures and walks of life. just what message are we communicating?

secondly do/should we play it? i try exceptionally hard to only play expletive free material and i really dislike playing the angst inflamatory stiff thats about .. call me old fashioned but i feel party music should be feel good everybody be happy type stuff.

i like nothing more than to be asked for walking on sunshine , im in the mood for dancing etc.

just thought might be a good discussion.

soundtracker
12-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Have a look here:

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=64404#post64404 :)

musicbox
12-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Totally agree with you D F there has been coverage on here before and is on going as you can see with what soundtracker has put up before me, so we should keep the campainge going and not let it go bye the watside.

As I do childrens parties I dont have any bad lyricks in my collection the worst I have is a*r*e etc. which parents seem not to object to.
If I get any request that do have bad lyricks in make a point of telling parents that I can not play these tunes to minnors, and in my mind a minnor is under 16.
I also point out that we as D.J's are campainging against the lyrics and they want to support us please come to the front and sign our petion.
To date no one has signed our petion from a kids disco.
What more can you do

Pete

Corabar Steve
12-10-2006, 09:25 AM
We don't use songs with eplicit lyrics, unless it is at the express request of the client. In fact a lot have thanked us for pointing out the fact that a particular track has explicit lyrics.

Join the Radio Edit Campaign (http://www.radioedit.org/) if you feel strongly about this.

Dragonfly
12-10-2006, 11:43 AM
thanks glad its not just me being a fuddy duddy already signed up to the campaign steve great idea personally think if it has explicit lyrics it shouldnt get airtime at all never mind the bleeps ...... in the good old days they would have just not played it anywhere.

soundtracker
12-10-2006, 11:47 AM
thanks glad its not just me being a fuddy duddy already signed up to the campaign steve great idea personally think if it has explicit lyrics it shouldnt get airtime at all never mind the bleeps ...... in the good old days they would have just not played it anywhere.
This is true, when you look back at some of the songs that were banned for their content, its now laughable, but that's because the goalposts have moved. Today we accept bad language as normal more readily than we did say 20 years ago. I'm not saying its right, and I think that providing the choice is what its all about.

Dragonfly
12-10-2006, 11:54 AM
this is true absolutely for me though its not just about the expletives its the whole meaning and message sent out in music today it all just seems so angry and angst about repression and fighting the power ...... i would just like everybody to walk on sunshine and wake me up before you go go. lol

people should be offered a choice absolutely .... but on a medium accessable to all such as radio?

djbigdevs
12-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't mind listening to music with swearing in, at home or on a night out. But I don't like playing it - incase it does offend someone.
Not sure if it's because I'm younger & have grown up with it, on music, in films, on TV etc - it seems to have become part of everyday language. The over use of it has started to destory it's 'offensiveness' (is that a word?? :embarasse ).
Where as my auntie who's about 70 (lives in USA) cannot stand swearing and would stop watching something if was used OTT & not relevant to the programme/film.
But I think there should be a choice - so I'm gonna go & sign up to the REC campaign! :teeth:

Dragonfly
12-10-2006, 12:09 PM
i dont mind listening to it to be honest love gnr get in the ring looooaaaaadddssss of swearing but just my kids brought it home to me when we were listening to the radio on the way to school and they are in the back singing along to everything ......

music had such a powerful effect on me as i was growing up and to be honest some songs i still listen to every day without fail and it is just a concern the general angry tone of mainstream music these days.

Corabar Steve
12-10-2006, 08:37 PM
I'd be a hypocrite if I said I was against songs with explicit lyrics (some of my favourite songs by the likes of G'N'R, Wayne County & the Electric Chairs and the Anti Nowhere League (who even if there were a bleeped version of So what it would be nonsensical) contain great ammounts of swearing) However being given the choice as to whether or not I want to buy an expletive laden or clean version would be nice.