PDA

View Full Version : When to do Father of Bride Dance?

WWDJ
24-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Not really been asked to do a FOB dance before.

Should I do it straight after First Dance?

I have been asked to announce it and the song is Sweet Caroline (her name is Caroline) so it's fairly upbeat. I think it's probably an emotional one for them but also quite lighthearted and of course a singalong.

First dance is 8pm and then there is a buffet at 9, so hoping to move from Sweet Caroline into some mid-tempo dancing songs.

Does that sound appropriate or is there are better time?

Dynamic Entertainment
24-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I've always done it right after the first dance.

surround sounds
25-07-2012, 04:36 AM
I normally do things like this after the buffet, it also helps to get them back on the dancefloor after food

DazzyD
25-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I would normally go straight in to it after the first dance. However, these songs, for me anyway, are normally quite slow ones. In this case, with the request being upbeat, I would consider waiting until after the buffet as it's a really good party-starter.

To be on the safe side, why not simply ask the bride when she wants you to do this dance? It's her big day, after all.

ianforest
25-07-2012, 07:57 AM
I sometimes do it BEFORE the first dance, sometimes straight after, sometimes much later in the evening.

djdave01
25-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Ask the bride what she wants to do, for me its usually after the first or second dance

WWDJ
25-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I would normally go straight in to it after the first dance. However, these songs, for me anyway, are normally quite slow ones. In this case, with the request being upbeat, I would consider waiting until after the buffet as it's a really good party-starter.

To be on the safe side, why not simply ask the bride when she wants you to do this dance? It's her big day, after all.

She said, whenever you like :)
It's fairly informal and I know her quite well.

I sometimes do it BEFORE the first dance, sometimes straight after, sometimes much later in the evening.

Ian, that doesn't help! :D

I normally do things like this after the buffet, it also helps to get them back on the dancefloor after food

I may go for this actually, I concur with this and DazzyD's advice above about the upbeat song.

Corabar Steve
25-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Normally after the B&G.

Although I agree that saving it until after the buffet can be used to save a flagging dancefloor.

BossmanKaraokeDisco
25-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Normally after the B&G.

Although I agree that saving it until after the buffet can be used to save a flagging dancefloor.

Totally agree, really would consider holding it back until after the buffet as a good way to kick it all off again :D

Vectis
25-07-2012, 09:47 AM
It's always been extremely emotional when staged just prior to the first dance. Bride stays on the floor. Dad leaves. Groom joins her. Awwwww :cry:

Actually that's one thing I do miss about this job... :)

weekender45
25-07-2012, 12:23 PM

I would normally do it after the first dance but recently after the buffet worked well as it gets the focus back on the dance floor.

MikeW
25-07-2012, 12:31 PM
If you have a choice, I would go with right after the buffet. It has worked well for me in the past.

DazzyD
25-07-2012, 12:42 PM
It's always been extremely emotional when staged just prior to the first dance. Bride stays on the floor. Dad leaves. Groom joins her. Awwwww :cry:

With your "matter-of-fact" and "to-the-point" business attitude, I never had you down as an old romantic, Martin!! :eek:

WWDJ
25-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm going to go with after the buffet I think.

Martin, I can see where you are coming from ... it's kind of 'giving her away' to the Groom. With that said, that job is already done, so first off i'm going to focus on the Bride and Groom.

DeckstarDeluxe
25-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Always after the first dance. I personally wouldn't plan it until the evening because we all know that first dance could happen at 11pm in extreme cases....

WWDJ
25-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Always after the first dance. I personally wouldn't plan it until the evening because we all know that first dance could happen at 11pm in extreme cases....

Hmm yes. Hopefully they will be done by six so I can setup.
Will think about it, but he is a massive Bee Gees fan so i was going to do either Words or How Deep is your Love and invite other couples onto the floor and then make more a special moment out of 'Sweet Caroline'.

BossmanKaraokeDisco
25-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Hmm yes. Hopefully they will be done by six so I can setup.
Will think about it, but he is a massive Bee Gees fan so i was going to do either Words or How Deep is your Love and invite other couples onto the floor and then make more a special moment out of 'Sweet Caroline'.

Sounds a perfect solution :D :D

Shakermaker Promotions
25-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I've always been asked to do the Father & Bride dance after the first dance BUT I do like the idea of the Father & Bride dancing first and then the father handing (for want of a better word) his daughter over to her husband for their first dance. If it gets mentioned again then I may see what the customer thinks about it.

CRAZY K
25-07-2012, 04:30 PM

What--the Bride and Father Dance---surely its the smell of the crowd and the roar of the greasepaint;)

Twinspin
25-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I would normally same as everyone else do it straight after. But doing it before followed by the first dance. I think is a really good idea.

If of course the Bride and Groom would like to do it that way. With this kind of thing might be a good suggestion to bring up with the Bride and Groom then its completely up to them if they want to do that.

I had a bride and groom ask me a couple of weeks ago what time they should have their first dance and my response to them was. It would be completely their call. But i am able to advise on times and give them some times and a rundown of why its a good time. Then their decision is final unless they want to change it.