PDA

View Full Version : Latency on VDJ

MikeW
19-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi Guys

As you may know I am running VDJ via MC6000. I posted a while back about a slight crackle on some tracks I was playing which were not there on the original recording. I was really just putting up with it because it wasn't that bad, it was really only myself who could hear it as it was very faint.

Last week I remembered about changing the buffer or is it latency? on VDJ.

I changed it from 513 to 357 and as if by magic! the crackle disappeared.

The first time I used it at an event was Friday night and it all sounded ok for the first couple of hours. And then in the last hour while playing current chart music it started to sound really bad. It was as if the track was playing from CD just before they started to skip. It really didn't sound too good at all.

So I played a track from my Ipad and changed it back to 513 and it was fine for the rest of the night.

And now the question! I tried going somewhere in between the two numbers and it didn't seem to like it at all. I have heard a lot of guys change from 513 to 357 is it possible to try something in between and is it just trial and error?

Thanks in advance.

JAMdisco
23-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I use 'auto' for the latency - try clicking the 'safe mode' check box if you're experiencing crackles, here's my settings:

MikeW
23-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I use 'auto' for the latency - try clicking the 'safe mode' check box if you're experiencing crackles, here's my settings:

Thanks very much for your reply. My settings are pretty much the same as yours. Apart from the "safe mode" not being ticked. Do you know why ticking the safe mode helps? What does it do?

Thanks

Also meant to put: Where it says don't pre-load files bigger than. Mines is at 15mn, I see yours is at 20. Would it make any difference if I changed that?

Mark Wild
23-08-2012, 02:11 PM
My latency is set to 357 via the Denon ASIO Driver, auto on VDJ.

MikeW
23-08-2012, 03:32 PM
My latency is set to 357 via the Denon ASIO Driver, auto on VDJ.

Thanks Mark. I did try mine on 357 but it wasn't very happy about it! So moved back to 513. I was going to ask if you had tried anywhere in between, but you may not have if you are happy with it the way it is.

SoundONE
23-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Safemode is used if you experience crackles even with reasonably high latency.

Also some drivers will give you an additional checkbox, under config->sound setup tab it can have an option for ultra aiso, you could try checking this too, it will often help when music has been playing perfectly for a few hours and then has a bit of a weird as you have suggested.

MikeW
23-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Also some drivers will give you an additional checkbox, under config->sound setup tab it can have an option for ultra aiso, you could try checking this too, it will often help when music has been playing perfectly for a few hours and then has a bit of a weird as you have suggested.

Thanks for that Andy. A bit of experimenting will be happening this weekend!

JAMdisco
24-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Yep, that's exactly what it says when you hold the mouse over the check box (providing you have 'hints' turned on) which is why I suggested it :P :D

Thanks for that Andy. A bit of experimenting will be happening this weekend!

If you're DJing this weekend I wouldn't leave it until then. Instead do a dummy run of a typical gig at home, no need for high volume as you'll only be checking for crackles and/or poor sound quality.

I doubt the "don't pre-load files larger than" will make much difference - it just means that anything over this time will be directly streamed from your hard drive (internal or external).

Hope you get sorted and let us know how you get on :)

MikeW
24-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Yep, that's exactly what it says when you hold the mouse over the check box (providing you have 'hints' turned on) which is why I suggested it :P :D

If you're DJing this weekend I wouldn't leave it until then. Instead do a dummy run of a typical gig at home, no need for high volume as you'll only be checking for crackles and/or poor sound quality.

I doubt the "don't pre-load files larger than" will make much difference - it just means that anything over this time will be directly streamed from your hard drive (internal or external).

Hope you get sorted and let us know how you get on :)

Thanks Justin, will do.

MikeW
25-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks Justin, will do.

Just wanted to let you know how it went. I had the latency set at 513, the very slight crackle was still there. I then set the latency at 357 with the safe mode on and the crackle that I was hearing disappeared. But just like the last time after playing for about 15 mins a different type of distortion was heard!!!! I was really only trying it during the warm up last night, but felt that the quality wasn't quite right. So before the actual start, I changed it back to 513 and it was fine.
I asked this question before, does anyone set theirs at anything in between 513 and 357? Is it just trial and error to find the best setting?

I may just run at 513 and accept that it really is only me (on a small number of tracks) that hears the prob.

SoundONE
31-08-2012, 11:13 PM
I would also try the latest driver for your midi mixer and an earlier driver, see if that helps.

DazzyD
01-09-2012, 01:29 AM
I'm glad I saw this thread early on as it helped me out last weekend.

I've never had SafeMode selected and never had any problems. However, last Saturday I noticed some crackling/distortion not from the master output but when cueing tracks in the headphones (I cue tracks using a secondary soundcard on the laptop rather than through the mixer). I was thinking what it might be then I remembered this thread and switched on SafeMode and, like magic, the problem was gone! I didn't mess around with any other settings so it was a really simple fix.

So, a big thanks to the contributors in this thread - your info and advice was really helpful! :)

JAMdisco
06-09-2012, 01:03 PM
So, a big thanks to the contributors in this thread - your info and advice was really helpful! :)

No worries, glad it was an easy fix. That's what a forum should be like, nice, friendly and helpful - no need for slagging matches and nasty personal comment which I've seen a bit of recently... :)

Corabar Entertainment
06-09-2012, 01:04 PM
That's what a forum should be like, nice, friendly and helpful - no need for slagging matches and nasty personal comment which I've seen a bit of recently... :)... you forgot to add the word 'elsewhere' on the end of that post :D