PDA

View Full Version : Kam powerbar

surround sounds
30-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I have just brought a brand new Kam powerbar.
I have noticed a few changes from the older type as i have a 2 year old one..

Firstly there is no glass infront of the tri leds,
number 2 . there are rounded edges on the par cans
number 3 - the par cans are thinner
number 4 - the brackets are not as stronge as the old ones
number 5 - the foot controller, the wire coming from the back of the controller as a different connection.
number 6 - inside of the padded case is not as good..

I just hope its as powerful as my old one and its made more cheaply and they DMX Together ok with my old one..

Excalibur
30-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I just hope its as powerful as my old one and its made more cheaply and they DMX Together ok with my old one..

Don't get me started on that one!!! :zip: :zip: Let's just say that if they don't, I shall not be surprised in the slightest. At a recent NADJ meeting I attended, the chap from Lamba was demoing linkable lasers from KAM. When they failed to link the budget ones with the posh one in (apparently ) the same range, a couple of us had an inkling why. When our suspicions turned out to be correct, it was all we could do not to burst out laughing.

Good luck with the two bars.

CRAZY K
30-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I have just brought a brand new Kam powerbar.
I have noticed a few changes from the older type as i have a 2 year old one..

Firstly there is no glass infront of the tri leds,
number 2 . there are rounded edges on the par cans
number 3 - the par cans are thinner
number 4 - the brackets are not as stronge as the old ones
number 5 - the foot controller, the wire coming from the back of the controller as a different connection.
number 6 - inside of the padded case is not as good..

Unfortunately the reality is products should be increasing in price--increased costs all round including transport, fuel, electricity, production costs etc.

But the pressure on prices is driving down quality in many electrical products.

I have noticed this in Home electrical products like Security Lights.

I gave up buying in B and Q and went to Wickes who charged more for a similar product---but it works:daft: :daft: :daft:

Possibly you may have to consider paying more and going for better quality.

I assume thats what you tell your clients;)

surround sounds
30-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Don't get me started on that one!!! :zip: :zip: Let's just say that if they don't, I shall not be surprised in the slightest. At a recent NADJ meeting I attended, the chap from Lamba was demoing linkable lasers from KAM. When they failed to link the budget ones with the posh one in (apparently ) the same range, a couple of us had an inkling why. When our suspicions turned out to be correct, it was all we could do not to burst out laughing.

Good luck with the two bars.

Because of what you said i thought i would try them in my lockup before i got out with them tomorrow.. Dmx them together and they work fine thank god

Excalibur
30-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Because of what you said i thought i would try them in my lockup before i got out with them tomorrow.. Dmx them together and they work fine thank god

Now that does surprise me! :eek: Glad to hear it, hope they work well for you.

matt the cat
10-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Would you recomend the Powerbar? Im just about to purchase one

Spirits High
10-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Matt do a search on it there's plenty of threads about them and certain other German type imposters!!

I've been using one for 2 years now and love it.

gear4djs
10-09-2012, 01:10 PM

These are the primary par bar system that we recommend as they are such good all rounders. Brightness, colours and spread are all superb and they are legendarily portable!

Any more questions, then please feel free to ask :)

Mike @ Gear4DJs

Excalibur
10-09-2012, 03:01 PM

No*. :whistle:

* I'd save around £150 and get this:Pick me, pick me (http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm) No contest ( In my very humble opinion.

Jem
10-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I've just bought two of the Powerbars in the Gear4djs bank holiday sale. I have to say that overall i'm pretty pleased with them. I'll be using them with an external DMX controller as I don't like most of the internal 'flashy' programs. I much prefer something more reminiscent of incandescent lighting with a subtle fade in and fade out between colour changes.

My only negative observation so far would be that the metal 'U' shaped brackets that hold the can on to the 'Tee' bar are pretty flimsy. I'm seriously considering making some out of a stronger metal and replacing them.

Other than that I would say that they're pretty decent :)

Excalibur
10-09-2012, 03:32 PM
I've just bought two of the Powerbars in the Gear4djs bank holiday sale. I have to say that overall i'm pretty pleased with them. I'll be using them with an external DMX controller as I don't like most of the internal 'flashy' programs. I much prefer something more reminiscent of incandescent lighting with a subtle fade in and fade out between colour changes.

That option is there with both British and Teutonic ones. Pattern 3 on the Stairville.

My only negative observation so far would be that the metal 'U' shaped brackets that hold the can on to the 'Tee' bar are pretty flimsy. I'm seriously considering making some out of a stronger metal and replacing them.
The Stairville construction is more than robust enough for me. No such problems.

Other than that I would say that they're pretty decent :)

In truth, they are. The thing is that the KAM offering runs on a far more complicated control system, which to be fair gives much more control under DMX, and even from the footswitch. One member said it took him minutes to set it up for DMX, another said that after two days spent with no success, he abandoned the idea. Please let us know how you get on.

When I take into account my previous experiences with similar KAM products, the far lower reported failures of the Stairville, its lower price, and the fact that it does all I want and more, I'm confident that I made the right choice for me.

Excalibur
11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Actually, in the interests of honesty and objectivity, fairness and balance, I feel honour bound to make it public that I have now got a problem with my German Powerbar. :(:o:o:(

The bag which holds the tripod has split at the bottom! :eek::eek:

funkymook
11-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Just like to add that I'm very happy with my Stairville version too.

For the amount of light and versatility (colour wash, fades, S2L) it's probably the best bang for the buck lighting I've ever bought.

For anyone who hasn't used or seen any of the various power parbars in action they're bright enough to light most venues as a colour wash and act like a proper lighting effect when on S2L (as they're so powerful you do get 'movement' with them, they're not a static effect).

Jem
11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
All this talk of Powerbars has prompted me to unpackage the two new ones I bought last weekend from Gear4djs.

I've unpackaged them both, plugged them in, linked them using a DMX lead and they work in perfect synchronisation straight out of the box. Now just awaiting the new DMX controller arriving (hopefully tomorrow) and i'll report back with how easy that is to set up.

Only problem is they only provide a meter long IEC lead (useless when the tripod is raised) :rolleyes:, fortunately, I had a couple of 5 meter ones here so all's good :)

Man, these things are bright :eek:

Jem

Excalibur
11-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I've unpackaged them both, plugged them in, linked them using a DMX lead and they work in perfect synchronisation straight out of the box. Now just awaiting the new DMX controller arriving (hopefully tomorrow) and i'll report back with how easy that is to set up.

I await that report with interest.

Only problem is they only provide a meter long IEC lead (useless when the tripod is raised) :rolleyes:, fortunately, I had a couple of 5 meter ones here so all's good :)
American cables? :whistle: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Man, these things are bright :eek:

That adjective gets used a lot about this style of fixture. ;);)

Creature
12-09-2012, 12:08 AM
I brought my pair od power bars about 3 years ago, i use them regually and like them. ok the manual was crap and a vital bit of info was missing of the real early ones like mine (but a quick phone call soon rectified that) once we haf full instructions took 2 mins to dmx them together on sound to light option.

Last year I programmed them into my Transetion controller - took about 20 mins ( had to learn how to program the transetion controller at the same time.

After a trial run I noticed was only using 8 settings so stored them in the scene buttons :).

Am now getting to grips with freestyler on my old laptop and used it at last weekend booking just for me par cans - but on the list will be to program in the power bars.

In all the time I have had the power bars only one fuse has blown ( we still dont know why worked one day - when testing next not) all leds still working at at Enstone Airfield in a 60 x 30 mtr marquee the were used front of house as silly me forgot to load the old par 64 cans stands :(

They coped very well and am considering purchasing 2 more just for that and sell of my old bulb pars

Roger T
12-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Actually, in the interests of honesty and objectivity, fairness and balance, I feel honour bound to make it public that I have now got a problem with my German Powerbar. :(:o:o:(

The bag which holds the tripod has split at the bottom! :eek::eek:

The zip on my bag is a bit dodgy but the teuctonic bar is great value for money and very bright.

Mark Wild
12-09-2012, 07:28 AM
My case is starting to fall apart at the seams now, with gaffer tap holding it together lol Is there anywhere you can get a new case for these? Or any alternative? The KAM Powerbar that is, not that cheap German rubbish :p

Excalibur
12-09-2012, 07:35 AM
My case is starting to fall apart at the seams now, with gaffer tap holding it together lol Is there anywhere you can get a new case for these? Or any alternative? The KAM Powerbar that is, not that cheap German rubbish :p

And at the riskof being accused of "banging on about it", although my tripod bag is indeed showing extreme signs of wear and tear, the case for the unit on my "cheap German rubbish " is still as new. Pristine. Showroom condition. Fit for purpose.

I seem to remember Paul ( Spirits High ) having trouble with his case at an early stage. With the increase in popularity of this style of unit, I wonder if there is a market for a rigid flightcase?

Mark Wild
12-09-2012, 07:43 AM
And at the risk of being accused of "banging on about it"

Stop banging on about it :)

I seem to remember Paul ( Spirits High ) having trouble with his case at an early stage. With the increase in popularity of this style of unit, I wonder if there is a market for a rigid flightcase?

Yeah mine is gigged to death, definitely need an alternative, a custom made flight case for it may be too pricey though.....

Jem
12-09-2012, 07:49 AM
American cables? :whistle: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hehe... rephrased to European standards... Approximately, or close to, 1 meter, 3 feet (ish) or about an arms length :D

I don't know why they even bother putting a cable in there as it's totally useless even with the tripod unextended :rolleyes:

Excalibur
12-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Hehe... rephrased to European standards... Approximately, or close to, 1 meter, 3 feet (ish) or about an arms length :D

I don't know why they even bother putting a cable in there as it's totally useless even with the tripod unextended :rolleyes:

It's METRE in this country, you :muppet:! :p:p

And by the way, the German cable ( although fitted with a continental plug, whicch Davesounds snipped off at the first opportunity ) is of a length which allows use of the unit at full height with no difficulty.

sweetie
12-09-2012, 08:29 AM
is this (http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/IEP/lightmaXX-Platinum-CLS-1-RGB-LED-Compact-LED-System/art-LIG0007193-000) comparable to the aforementioned units?

Mark Wild
12-09-2012, 08:46 AM
is this (http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/IEP/lightmaXX-Platinum-CLS-1-RGB-LED-Compact-LED-System/art-LIG0007193-000) comparable to the aforementioned units?

No :)

Spirits High
12-09-2012, 08:52 AM

My case is well and truly dead aswell.

Yeah mine is gigged to death, definitely need an alternative, a custom made flight case for it may be too pricey though.....

Maybe be worth chatting to Swanflight about getting custom ones done at a decent price if there's enough interest.

I'll put something in their advertisers forum ;)

Or not as they don't have one.

I'll try and call them and have a chat about it.

Mark Wild
12-09-2012, 09:00 AM
My case is well and truly dead aswell.

Maybe be worth chatting to Swanflight about getting custom ones done at a decent price if there's enough interest.

I'll put something in their advertisers forum ;)

Or not as they don't have one.

I'll try and call them and have a chat about it.

Sweet, keep us up to speed with that Paul if you do mate please.

Spirits High
12-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Sweet, keep us up to speed with that Paul if you do mate please.

Just started another thread in "Equipment Discussion forum" to gauge interest in it.

STEVE HANLEY
12-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Ok so you've bought your new powerbar. With the intention of using that and nothing as the basis of your lighting rig from now on. What happens (God help us) if it fails mid gig for whatever reason? Do you carry a spare one in the van? Or do you carry any back up lighting at all?

This could also be directed at the wizard on a stick guys;);) Just curious;)

BTW I hate those new smileys. Bring back the old ones:D:D

Creature
12-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Ok so you've bought your new powerbar. With the intention of using that and nothing as the basis of your lighting rig from now on. What happens (God help us) if it fails mid gig for whatever reason? Do you carry a spare one in the van? Or do you carry any back up lighting at all?

why would you only take one light ????/ thats just asking for trouble - i never do any bookings with just one light - as i dont make up my mind what lighting im gonna use till i get to the venue I always have several diff types of lights with me always in pairs. I may only use 3 of them or all of them

surround sounds
12-09-2012, 03:43 PM

This could also be directed at the wizard on a stick guys;);) Just curious;)

BTW I hate those new smileys. Bring back the old ones:D:D

I always take 2 powerbars anyway so i do take a spare,I have used the one every week for 18 months on average 2 times a week and never had a problem

Jem
12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
It's METRE in this country...

Bah... Too many business dealings with America, I just accept the American spelling nowadays ;)

No harm done :D

Excalibur
12-09-2012, 04:41 PM

No :)

To enlarge on my somewhat taciturn friend's comment, the difference is that the one you linked to has multiple small LEDs. Many of us have known odd ones to die thus leaving the odd hole in the pattern. Also, when you only want one colour, only 33% of the fixture lights up, since there separate Red, Green and Blue LEDs.

The Powerbar type have what is called TRI LEDs, seven only per fixture, where each LED is capable of providing Red, Green or Blue. Thus when you want red, every LED lights up. Also they're very very bright, 3 watts each.

Unless they were very very cheap, I ( and quite a few others, I suspect ) would not rush to use any fixture of this type which did not use TRI LEDS, (or even QUAD LEDs ) Hope this helps.

STEVE HANLEY
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
why would you only take one light ????/ thats just asking for trouble - i never do any bookings with just one light - as i dont make up my mind what lighting im gonna use till i get to the venue I always have several diff types of lights with me always in pairs. I may only use 3 of them or all of them

That's the reason I asked the question mate. Some djs are using that as their only source of light now.

I always take 2 powerbars anyway so i do take a spare,I have used the one every week for 18 months on average 2 times a week and never had a problem

Thank you

sweetie
13-09-2012, 09:05 AM
To enlarge on my somewhat taciturn friend's comment, the difference is that the one you linked to has multiple small LEDs. Many of us have known odd ones to die thus leaving the odd hole in the pattern. Also, when you only want one colour, only 33% of the fixture lights up, since there separate Red, Green and Blue LEDs.

The Powerbar type have what is called TRI LEDs, seven only per fixture, where each LED is capable of providing Red, Green or Blue. Thus when you want red, every LED lights up. Also they're very very bright, 3 watts each.

Unless they were very very cheap, I ( and quite a few others, I suspect ) would not rush to use any fixture of this type which did not use TRI LEDS, (or even QUAD LEDs ) Hope this helps.

ah, that makes sense, thank you Peter. I got one with a stand for £75 so it wasnt a big investment but can see how much better ze other one is.
cheers

Jem
15-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I await that report with interest.

O.K., so I have a Chauvet Obey 10 and a ShowTec Fademaster 16, 32 Channel DMX Controller here at my disposal.

The ShowTec was easy, straight out of the box, plug it in to the powerbars with a DMX lead. Set the Powerbars to work in sync and the DMX controller was working, in it's simplest form, that is controlling the built in patterns in the Powerbars within 15 minutes or so.

The Chauvet proved a little more of a challenge, and I had to resort to skimming through the instructions. However, within 20 minutes I had programmed 6 individual chases (from the preset Powerbar settings) to the six chase buttons on the DMX controller. Hitting one of the chase buttons on the Chauvet now switches the sequence pattern (pretty much as would hitting the footswitch, only you can jump straight to a particular chase without having to scroll through as with the foot controller). I'm still trying to get to grips with how to adjust the fade time so that the lights don't appear quite as 'flashy'.

With both controllers it was pretty easy to tease basic functionality out of the Powerbars. However, the next big thing is to learn how to program DMX fixtures and set chases. I suspect this will require further delving in to the instruction manuals as i've never touched DMX before.

Jem
15-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Just spent a couple of hours with the Chauvet and the instruction manual. For someone who's never used DMX before I don't think the instructions are very clear. However, by process of elimination and working methodically I think I've cracked it :)

I now have some nice scenes and chases programmed into the Chauvet. It took a while for the penny to drop with regard to the programming, but I do think I understand it now. It'll take a short while to get a nice selection of chases programmed, but these will be much nicer than the pre-programmed ones that come with the Powerbar. For one thing the transitions will not be immediately switched (& flashy), I intend to make the transitions smoothly fade in and fade out so it doesn't look like a strobe :)

I would recommend anyone who doesn't like the stock Powerbar program's to give DMX control a try, it takes a bit of working out, but it's not too difficult.

WWDJ
15-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I would recommend anyone who doesn't like the stock Powerbar program's to give DMX control a try, it takes a bit of working out, but it's not too difficult.

It was the first thing I did with mine. I love the concept of the powerbar but the flashy programmes mostly got on my nerves especially when viewed from the DJ's side of the decks.

This gives you the idea of what mine looks like now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4DbgFa_2k

SwingKing
25-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm a solo singer and have been trying to settle on the right set of lights for my set-up for a few months now - that's what led me here, to be honest. As there's only l'il me and I want to restrict the lighting to mainly the stage area (or the corner of the pub which has been designated as the stage area!) I don't want something that might appear to be too over the top but I also want something that's powerful enough to grab the audience's attention.

I was drawn initially to the Kam powerbar but when I saw that Stairville had something that looked comparable but less expensive I thought I might go for that instead. I was steered away from that by a musician on another forum on the basis that I can only get the Stairville from Thomann who are based in Germany - I think his concern was more about taking my business outside of Blighty than anything to do with the actual quality of the tri led bundle (my own concern was more to do with the inconvenience of returning them if they turned out to be faulty). This led me to looking at the American DJ jelly par profile but, when I tried to order these it turned out the entire stock had been damaged by a leak in the container and no new stock is due until the new year!

I'm now looking at the LEDJ Stage Wash 54 although I think I might need a DMX controller to get the most out of it. And obviously I need to factor in the cost of a stand, too.

Sorry for the life story - I hope you can see my dilemma and offer me a bit of advice.

Excalibur
25-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the life story - I hope you can see my dilemma and offer me a bit of advice.

No probs, it's easy. Order the Stairville, save £150 over Kam/IMG, if it ever develops a fault ( and the only fault declared on here is one dead out of the box, replaced in two days ) Though I've never had to do it, apparently returning faulty kit to Thomann isn't tricky, their customer service is excellent. The only downside obviously is the distance it has to travel, and the time factor. It has less programmes available from the foot switch than the KAM, but you can get static colours no problem. Have a read of the manual attached at the end of this.

Also, it's great to have you here, and it would be nice if you popped over to the Newbies section and introduced yourself more fully, as it often helps us to tailor advice, and we like to know a bit about folk. Thanks.

DJ Jules
25-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Apparently returning faulty kit to Thomann isn't tricky, their customer service is excellent. The only downside obviously is the distance it has to travel, and the time factor.

I've just been through this with Thomann. I've ordered some Eurolite scanners from Thomann as they're half the price of the closest competitor and I've had a bit of fun and games with DHL. Thomann dispatched them within 12hrs of the order going in and DHL confirmed pick up and then got them out of the country to UK within 36hrs. They then cleared UK customs and sat in a store somewhere for 5 days until I emailed DHL and queried the exact location of them at which point they changed the delivery status to "Damaged - customer informed - unable to deliver".

That was yesterday. This morning the status changed again to "Unable to deliver" and then bizarrely, 45 mins later, to "Delivered!" They also asked my 8yr old to sign for them (my wife was at home at the time and on her way to the door, DHL just couldn't be bothered to wait for her to come to get a signature and the left a large box outside our front door with an 8yr old guarding it!)

Now there is a slightly damp box waiting for me at home for inspection...

Despite DHL's inability to do what they are supposed to do, Thomann have been excellent and responsive throughout - I emailed them yesterday to ask about the whereabouts of my box, and I believe it was queries from them that prompted DHL to find it and update the status to damaged (I'm pretty sure that DHL ignored my direct enquiry as I'm yet to get a response).

Based on other people's experiences on here, I've no doubt that if anything is damaged, they'll sort it pretty quickly.

I'm also still amazed at how Thomann can undercut Arriba's own prices on their bags (by 40% or more!)

Julian

SwingKing
25-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Thank you both - heading over to the Newbies section now to introduce myself properly before looking at that manual (cheers, Excalibur) and then, hopefully, placing my order with Thomann in the next hour or so.:)

Jonny Boy
25-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm a solo singer and have been trying to settle on the right set of lights for my set-up for a few months now - that's what led me here, to be honest. As there's only l'il me and I want to restrict the lighting to mainly the stage area (or the corner of the pub which has been designated as the stage area!) I don't want something that might appear to be too over the top but I also want something that's powerful enough to grab the audience's attention.

Have you considered a pair of LEDJ Stratos Wash. Even just one for small (pub) stages.
I think the guys in Phase One offer a pair package with DMX cable and controller included. They are very bright with a very wide beam angle.
Much less space taken than bar, which is always useful with a small performance space.

SwingKing
25-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I did have a look at the LEDJ package and I liked what I saw. When I started looking around, the stratos wash was within my budget. Sadly, there's been a tightening of the proverbial strings since then and I'm trying to keep the cost under £300. I should have got the LEDJ package as soon as I saw it! It's now out of stock at Phase One, although they are selling one on its own.

Jonny Boy
26-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I did have a look at the LEDJ package and I liked what I saw. When I started looking around, the stratos wash was within my budget. Sadly, there's been a tightening of the proverbial strings since then and I'm trying to keep the cost under £300. I should have got the LEDJ package as soon as I saw it! It's now out of stock at Phase One, although they are selling one on its own.

Fair dinkum.
IMHO even one Stratos alone would be a good investment - certainly if you're just using it for small pub-size stages when you want to minimise your footprint.

All this said, most Social Clubs have some stage lighting anyway...so if pubs/clubs is your market you don't need to go mad on pars/washes. :-)
It's funny how a simple £60 cluster laser set on slow on the wall behind you as a star-cloth(ish) effect can still impress some WMC crowds..... ;-)

Personally I moved away from the Parbar as it wasn't versatile enough for me (eg light all from one side, units couldn't be spaced very far apart for doing a bit of uplighting.)
I went with the Acme par panel set instead, which I split 1 or 2 each side of the stage or all on one t-bar for similiar effect to the powerpar/parbar if using to light the floor/crowd. I also use them for uplighting and/or occasionally behind my tripod scrims. Simple control with a CA-8 and you can also buy a CA8-F for about £40 so you can do blackout, colour changes etc by foot during your performance.

Would love to see some stage shots of how your set-up comes together tho'. (Just be aware that the Wire Militia are out in force when you post images here.... ;-) )

SwingKing
26-10-2012, 02:03 PM
The Wire Militia?! Dare I even ask?

Yes, I was wondering if I went for the LEDJ wash if I could just get away with using one. All I'd need in addition is a stand to put it on and it would still be within my budget. Hmmm, I'll have to give this some thought.

Just waiting for my refund from Phase One to clear (that was where I'd ordered the American DJ kit from) and then I'll be back in business. The first gig I'll be using them for will be an outdoor Christmas affair - nothing flash, just something I do every year at my kids' school - so I'll see if I can get some usable pics from that.

SwingKing
08-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Still not sorted with the lighting yet! I've had some non-music related stuff to deal with since I last visited the forum and it meant I had to take my eye off "the night job" for a while.

Before I buy LEDJ wash, what's "up-lighting"? I notice on your site, Jonny Boy, that you have lights both behind you and lights in front of you on the stage area (good site, by the way, fella - almost gave me pause for thought as to whether I should expand my act into other areas of music and look at offering a disco, too...and then I decided against it!).

Amber Raptor
09-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry to raise this old chestnut again but if I could get the latest opinion on the best overall LED powerbar for the money.
I'm not actually a DJ but play in a rock band looking to upgrade our lighting to something quick to setup and breakdown.
Up to now we've used 2 Chauvet colour bank 8's for our gigs but the bulbs are fragile and they take time ot set up and pack away etc.
Money as always is tight but seems to be these 3 systems that are very similar - the KAM power bar, Stairville Tri Bar and the Equinox Mega Bar. I'm guessing all the same light output and maybe some slight variation in build quality but pretty much the same?
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the Satirville option at nearly £100 cheaper? I'm a mechanical engineer so can fix flimsy brackets etc. that break. More of a problem if the electronics or LED's are frail!

Cheers!

Jem
09-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi

I use the KAM Powerbars and have no problem with them. Others will have opinions on which they think are best, i'm not going to get into that.

However, one thing that I perhaps ought to mention is that I have a good friend in a band and they also use the Powerbars. The one thing that drives him mad is the 'flashiness' of LED's over filament bulbs. LED's are very quick to switch on and off, this makes them almost strobe like with colour changes, as opposed to filament bulbs which have a softer change due to the filament warming up/cooling down. Now, you might think this doesn't make much difference, but in reality it does, especially if you're working under them for a few hours at a time.

You can overcome all this 'flashiness' by using a DMX controller (I use a Trancension 384) and programming it to do soft colour changes. This makes everyones life more pleasant. Oh, and one other thing, you may want to get a DMX controller with a foot switch unless you have someone doing the lighting for you.

Cheers

Jem

Excalibur
09-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Stil

Before I buy LEDJ wash, what's "up-lighting"?
Individual par cans, bars, or other fixtures placed on or near the floor, facing up ( hence uplighting ). They can be very very effective. I used a pair of these (http://www.djkit.com/american-dj/american-dj-mega-tripar-profile.html?gclid=CPSP6NbX27QCFQ7LtAodJjEAfA) behind me on NYE, and they were excellent.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the Stairville option at nearly £100 cheaper? I'm a mechanical engineer so can fix flimsy brackets etc. that break. More of a problem if the electronics or LED's are frail!

Short answer, no. None whatsoever. Re brackets, they're not the finest I've ever seen, but my bar is around two years old, ( I think ) and they're all intact. It's reliable, but slightly less feature packed than the KAM or IMG. ( Based purely on a visual inspection, the IMG to me looks like Stairville cans on a KAM bar , but that's pure guesswork ).

Amber Raptor
09-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Individual par cans, bars, or other fixtures placed on or near the floor, facing up ( hence uplighting ). They can be very very effective. I used a pair of these (http://www.djkit.com/american-dj/american-dj-mega-tripar-profile.html?gclid=CPSP6NbX27QCFQ7LtAodJjEAfA) behind me on NYE, and they were excellent.

Short answer, no. None whatsoever. Re brackets, they're not the finest I've ever seen, but my bar is around two years old, ( I think ) and they're all intact. It's reliable, but slightly less feature packed than the KAM or IMG. ( Based purely on a visual inspection, the IMG to me looks like Stairville cans on a KAM bar , but that's pure guesswork ).

Thanks Excalibur I think you're winning me over ref the Stairvilles!
Interested in your uplighting - could one of these be plugged into the Stairville at some point or would that not work?

Cheers,
Andy

Hi

I use the KAM Powerbars and have no problem with them. Others will have opinions on which they think are best, i'm not going to get into that.

However, one thing that I perhaps ought to mention is that I have a good friend in a band and they also use the Powerbars. The one thing that drives him mad is the 'flashiness' of LED's over filament bulbs. LED's are very quick to switch on and off, this makes them almost strobe like with colour changes, as opposed to filament bulbs which have a softer change due to the filament warming up/cooling down. Now, you might think this doesn't make much difference, but in reality it does, especially if you're working under them for a few hours at a time.

You can overcome all this 'flashiness' by using a DMX controller (I use a Trancension 384) and programming it to do soft colour changes. This makes everyones life more pleasant. Oh, and one other thing, you may want to get a DMX controller with a foot switch unless you have someone doing the lighting for you.

Cheers

Jem

Jem,
Thanks for that very useful bit of advice. Must admit I know nothing about DMX but all we have at our disposal to operate a controller is our drummer's feet!
Could anyone recommended the bare basic foot unit we could get which achieves the softer colour change?
Cheers,
Andy

Shaun
09-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Jem,
Thanks for that very useful bit of advice. Must admit I know nothing about DMX but all we have at our disposal to operate a controller is our drummer's feet!
Could anyone recommended the bare basic foot unit we could get which achieves the softer colour change?
Cheers,
Andy

The control on the KAM is pretty limited, that said I still love it. I also recently bought an equinox mightybar which offers more advanced control such as setting the individual speeds of the in-built programmes which offers you a bit more versatility than the KAM. The equinox is VERY bright though. twice as bright as the KAM so may be a bit overkill for many.

An alternative route you could consider is purchasing a T-Bar, some individual par cans, and a controller that gives you a lot of versatility over your lightshow without the need to veer into DMX programming your own shows. I've hear a lot of good things about the ryger FL-P1 controller.

Excalibur
09-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks Excalibur I think you're winning me over ref the Stairvilles!
Interested in your uplighting - could one of these be plugged into the Stairville at some point or would that not work?
Short answer-no. However, read on. ( also do a forum search for "poor man's powerbar " )

The equinox is VERY bright though. twice as bright as the KAM so may be a bit overkill for many.

Blimey, do you give all your punters welders masks? :eek:

!Could anyone recommended the bare basic foot unit we could get which achieves the softer colour change?
Cheers,
Andy

An alternative route you could consider is purchasing a T-Bar, some individual par cans, and a controller that gives you a lot of versatility over your lightshow without the need to veer into DMX programming your own shows. I've hear a lot of good things about the ryger FL-P1 controller.

I've seen it in use, and it's brilliant. Superb, especially when used with the aforementioned "Poor man's powerbar" designed and constructed by one Mr Andy Neen ( Deltic ) Another option.

Pe7e
09-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Cheers,
Andy

You get a foot controller included in the Stairville par bar package it has four pedals #auto run #sound active #freeze and #blackout, you can also adjust the speed the lamps react to the music or scroll, through the built it programs directly on the bar (no DMX needed), but you obviously will have greater control via DMX if you can be bothered. IMO these are a great little units, and to date have proved to be very reliable.

Shaun
09-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Blimey, do you give all your punters welders masks? :eek:

No....just a good tan everytime I use them. :d

Jem
09-01-2013, 08:19 PM
You get a foot controller included in the Stairville par bar package it has four pedals #auto run #sound active #freeze and #blackout, you can also adjust the speed the lamps react to the music or scroll, through the built it programs directly on the bar (no DMX needed), but you obviously will have greater control via DMX if you can be bothered. IMO these are a great little units, and to date have proved to be very reliable.

Unfortunately you can't access soft fades from the KAM foot switch. You'll need a DMX controller that has a foot switch facility on it if your drummer's going to use it, I believe they are available. Programming isn't as difficult as it first appears, it's just a case of sitting down with the manual for a short while. Once it's programmed, that's it, you'll probably never need to do it again.

Amber Raptor
09-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys to all for the feedback.
That Equinox system looks great but pushing the budget a bit...
It seems to makes sense on balance then to go for the Stairvilles from Thommann and save a bit of cash for some other stuff we need.
We'd only really ever operate sound to light - would that work with a DMX unit connected? If not then we'll have to put up with it. If it will then maybe I'll keep an eye open for a 2nd hand DMX foot controller should one come up on ebay or such like.

One other thing - did I read somewhere that the stand is too low in height - or was that one of the competitors?

Cheers,
Andy

funkymook
09-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys to all for the feedback.
That Equinox system looks great but pushing the budget a bit...
It seems to makes sense on balance then to go for the Stairvilles from Thommann and save a bit of cash for some other stuff we need.
We'd only really ever operate sound to light - would that work with a DMX unit connected? If not then we'll have to put up with it. If it will then maybe I'll keep an eye open for a 2nd hand DMX foot controller should one come up on ebay or such like.

One other thing - did I read somewhere that the stand is too low in height - or was that one of the competitors?

Cheers,
Andy

I've found the Stairville is pretty good on S2L - just use the footswitch to blackout between songs and sets or put it into one of the slower fades or fixed colours. Otherwise I'd recommend the Greenwich Instruments Handheld DMX controller as an easy way to set some custom programmes up.

It is very bright though, so you need to make sure you're not dazzling your audience, a quick walk around where they'll be standing and you can adjust as necessary (that's what I do with mine).

You can also attach a few other lights on top of it if needed (as long as they're not to heavy), I don't think you'll be disappointed with it, I'd say it was the most useful lighting I've got.

Shaun
10-01-2013, 12:10 AM
We'd only really ever operate sound to light

Cheers,
Andy

I think one of the Stairville or KAM powebars will be perfect for you. As Martin (funkymook) has already mentioned, you can choose between sound to light, static colour, or fade between colours via the foot controller, which is more than ample.

I'm not sure of the height of stairville pole, but I've always though the KAM could do with being a bit taller. That said...I love it. It's by a mile my favourite lighting that I own. Moving heads and the rest are all very well, but for ease of setup, ease of control, and coverage of light...nothing else comes close.

Excalibur
10-01-2013, 06:36 AM
I'm not sure of the height of stairville pole,
2.4metres, just short of 8ft. The units of course hang down from this height, about a foot or so.

but I've always though the KAM could do with being a bit taller. .
Must resist, must resist. :zip::D:D

surround sounds
10-01-2013, 07:48 AM
I think one of the Stairville or KAM powebars will be perfect for you. As Martin (funkymook) has already mentioned, you can choose between sound to light, static colour, or fade between colours via the foot controller, which is more than ample.

I'm not sure of the height of stairville pole, but I've always though the KAM could do with being a bit taller. That said...I love it. It's by a mile my favourite lighting that I own. Moving heads and the rest are all very well, but for ease of setup, ease of control, and coverage of light...nothing else comes close.

I find the kam stand goes up really heigh. When you open the stand open it as wide as possible and then bring it back up on itself. I can get it up to around 3metres or so

Amber Raptor
10-01-2013, 08:32 AM
You can also attach a few other lights on top of it if needed (as long as they're not to heavy), I don't think you'll be disappointed with it, I'd say it was the most useful lighting I've got.

That sounds useful - I wonder whether we could attach our Abyss light to it which we direct at the backdrop behind the drummer - might be a bit heavy? Does it come with additional mounting holes in the bar then or would I need to clamp somehting to it?

Cheers,
Andy

funkymook
10-01-2013, 09:46 AM
That sounds useful - I wonder whether we could attach our Abyss light to it which we direct at the backdrop behind the drummer - might be a bit heavy? Does it come with additional mounting holes in the bar then or would I need to clamp somehting to it?

Cheers,
Andy

It has 4 mounting holes and the fittings come with it.

It'll easily hold your Abyss, I use more than that when I use it for my pub gigs, but there isn't a centre hole so I'd consider a second light so it's balanced both sides, but try it and see how steady it feels. I also use a sturdier stand when I'm loading it up with extra lights and bolt it on both sides to the stand (again holes and fitting are supplied).

Amber Raptor
10-01-2013, 11:57 AM
It has 4 mounting holes and the fittings come with it.

It'll easily hold your Abyss, I use more than that when I use it for my pub gigs, but there isn't a centre hole so I'd consider a second light so it's balanced both sides, but try it and see how steady it feels. I also use a sturdier stand when I'm loading it up with extra lights and bolt it on both sides to the stand (again holes and fitting are supplied).

Sounds good - not sure I understand about using a sturdier stand and bolting it both sides but maybe an excuse to buy another light sometime to balance the Abyss up!

Amber Raptor
19-01-2013, 06:55 AM
So I went ahead and ordered the Stairville Tri LED on Monday along with some other stuff from Thomman. Still waiting for it to arrive - can't wait to check it out!
I also ordered a single Stairville Tri LED flood panel thinking it might be quite good to direct at the drums to get some reflections off the chrome etc.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_flood_tri_panel_7x3w_rgb.htm
Anyone ever used one?
Could this be linked as a slave to the Tril LED unit or wouldn't that work? If it would can anyone tell me what link cable I'd need?

Cheers,
Andy

cdkdisco
15-02-2013, 05:06 PM
I bought 2 Stairville Tri LEDs last week. Tried them out for a childrens party last night. Both those lights and a ADJ Quad Phase was enough to give great effect in a very large gym hall. Will be buying a couple more in next week. Superb light and goes without saying, insanely bright.
Dont see any reason why they could not be dmx to the the power bar. I slaved four LEDJ pars and they ran off the power bar no problem.

The only problem I had with the Stairville Bar was not the unit itself but the bag. The side pocket is a tad too small for the foot controller imo.
After my friends 2 Kam Power bars went on the blink after just over a year, I suggested to him the Stairvilles, which he duly purchased.
They arrived with a new bag with a side pocket that now not only takes the foot controller but also the cable.
I sent an email last month to Thomanns explaining this and they have sent me a brand new bag which arrived today.
Those lovely Germans :)
You wont be disappointed with your purchase and a few dmx cables should suffice to link them to power bar.

Excalibur
15-02-2013, 05:08 PM
So I went ahead and ordered the Stairville Tri LED on Monday along with some other stuff from Thomman. Still waiting for it to arrive - can't wait to check it out!
I also ordered a single Stairville Tri LED flood panel thinking it might be quite good to direct at the drums to get some reflections off the chrome etc.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_flood_tri_panel_7x3w_rgb.htm
Anyone ever used one?
Could this be linked as a slave to the Tril LED unit or wouldn't that work? If it would can anyone tell me what link cable I'd need?

Cheers,
Andy

I've not used the Stairville solo panel, I have the ADJ ones. Will the stairville work as a slave? I've no idea. If you wish to try, all you need is a standard DMX XLR cable, and set the single one to slave. Worth a try. Good luck.

sweetie
27-03-2013, 09:59 AM
This is a great light but I'm finding it's nearly too powerful for some smaller venues. I havent dmxed it and dont use the footawitch, just leave it on a colour change chase sequence. Any advice please?

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-03-2013, 10:01 AM
This is a great light but I'm finding it's nearly too powerful for some smaller venues. I havent dmxed it and dont use the footawitch, just leave it on a colour change chase sequence. Any advice please?

Why don't you use the footswitch? You literally just have to plug it in and you have more control - static or fades for earlier on and a bit more manic later. Also, try tilting the cans upwards slightly.

Jem
27-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I'll suggest getting yourself a DMX controller.

This will allow you to dim the powerbar as necessary to suit all venues. You also get the added benefit of being able to fully control the chase sequences, soft fades and colours :)

Mark Wild
16-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Just a quick one for Powerbar users, if your foot controller ever packs up and you can't be bothered to open it all up and find out why, just buy one of these -

http://www.thomann.de/gb/eurolite_led_kls_rgb_footswitch.htm

Works exactly the same :beer1:

surround sounds
16-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Just a quick one for Powerbar users, if your foot controller ever packs up and you can't be bothered to open it all up and find out why, just buy one of these -

Great and price is good as well..

Excalibur
21-04-2013, 11:58 AM

And just in case users of the aesthetically challenged Teutonic version feel left out, here's one for us.
clicky (http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_remote.htm)