PDA

View Full Version : Traktor - Which controller?!?!

DiscoMagic
16-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey and hi to all.

Firstly, apologies for not being around for a while, won't bore you with the usual excuses, but needless to say there is never enough time in the day. And yeah I can almost hear your hearts bleeding for me !!:p:)

Any way's I am looking for a new controller and wondering what peoples thoughts are...

Current PO Set up is this.
I currently use Traktor (and don't want to switch to another software package), running through my MacBook pro, via an external Native Instruments sound card which then splits the two decks into two separate channels in my denon mixer. So this means I control the software using the keyboard and mousepad, and the volume though my mixer. OK, so this might somewhat basic but it has worked effectively well for me for a number of years, however I think my sound card it on its way out, (one channel is louder than the other), and I want to simplify my setup.

Which leads me to this...!

I have looked at a number of different solutions, and frankly my mind boggles. As per usual all the reviews found are super positive, and it would be great to hear what peoples thoughts, recommendations and candid comments are. So far I have come across the Numark S4, which is great and has the internal stand alone mixer which I would love, but I am not sure that I would use all of its knobs and buttons, the S2 which is more me but lacks the internal mixer, and has no external inputs. and the Numark 4 trak, which looks great, but seems to be fairly new(?) so am not sure if its any good.

SO what does one do??? Being your 'average' DJ, with the usual gigs - Weddings, birthdays, teens, schools, pubs, etc etc, I am certainly not the next tiesto or calvin harris ;), thus meaning whilst I certainly beatmatch, sync, and produce fairly decent set lists, do I really need all the knobs, whistles and buttons that enable me to scratch, produce remixes on the fly, or mash songs up in a live environment? Possible not. However I do want something well made and reliable for the job so your DJ2GO is out the window!!!

Essentially - I would like the following:-

The ability to have an all in one solution that I plug straight into my PA system and that is all.
The ability the input more than one mic, and external divices
The ability to run the mixer as stand alone without the need for my computer
EQ on the mic input if possible,
and one must have great sound reproduction!

I am open to all ideas!!

Thank you all for your advice... and help:beer1::beer1::beer1:

Ralph:)

WWDJ
16-09-2012, 01:07 PM
What you are looking for is the Denon MC6000.

I believe it covers all of those points.

However I looked at one and thought it seemed cramped in terms of the controls and I can't stand Denon Play/Cue buttons. Too rubbery.

Corabar Entertainment
16-09-2012, 01:30 PM
... I can't stand Denon Play/Cue buttons. Too rubbery.Actually, Denon rep last week mentioned that quite a few people had mentioned that, so they're changing over to solid buttons on new kit.

DiscoMagic
16-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys,

Do does any have a MC6000, and can you use it a traditional stand alone mixer. Have had a quick look over hammy's, and it all looks a little cramped. what are peoples impressions?

Additionally does anyone have the Numark 4trak and can comment on their experience of it?. I know Numark, doesn't have a great name, but this does look like a fairly decent bit of kit!

WWDJ
16-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Actually, Denon rep last week mentioned that quite a few people had mentioned that, so they're changing over to solid buttons on new kit.

Woohoo. It might even get me to think about changing my playout setup if that were the case ... and a little more spaced out ;-)

hammy
16-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Ralph, You are more than welcome to come an have a play with the Denon anytime mate

DJDC
16-09-2012, 04:22 PM
I've just brought a MC 6000 and it's very nice, sufficent functions on the unit as a mixer, and a great little toy, yes some aspects are quite close together especially the platters with the mixer controls. It worked quite well although on 2 occasions tracks / traktor just stopped randomly during the night

DiscoMagic
16-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Ralph, You are more than welcome to come an have a play with the Denon anytime mate
Cheers Hammy - might take a trip to the coast again soon mate!!!!

I've just brought a MC 6000 and it's very nice, sufficent functions on the unit as a mixer, and a great little toy, yes some aspects are quite close together especially the platters with the mixer controls. It worked quite well although on 2 occasions tracks / traktor just stopped randomly during the night

Wow!!! :confused:

What did you do??? do you know what caused it??? how long was the drop out? was it the Computer or the denon do you know?
Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

WWDJ
16-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Doesn't sound good. I'll stick to all Native Instruments hardware then! :D

hammy
16-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Cheers Hammy - might take a trip to the coast again soon mate!!!!

Wow!!! :confused:

What did you do??? do you know what caused it??? how long was the drop out? was it the Computer or the denon do you know?
Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Look forward to it buddy. I have never had a drop out or any problems at all with the 6000, i dont use it to its ability but its still the best controller I have ever owned.

boomer
16-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I have the MC6000 and use Traktor and have never had any problems “love it ”

DJDC
16-09-2012, 08:20 PM
it was the first time out with the mc6000, I had loaded Traktor LE which is quite basic, but a bit better than PCDJ DEX that I was using, DEX2 never worked for me properly.

So I upgraded to Traktor Pro then the sound kept dropping out a mate help sort that out Friday night, but the pub had booked a Karaoke disco so I did not get to run it before last nights 40th, all started good and as I was setting up the next track (8.55) the other stopped, don't know whether it was me trying to load the live deck or inadvertantly catching the mouse on the deck?, I had to resort to CD (fortunately I always leave something in the CD, although on this occasion it was a RnB Grandmaster mix). Because on both occasions I went into over drive grabbing mic, etc I did not really take in what exactly what was the cause. First time I restarted the software second time just loaded next track up.

Gazza75
16-09-2012, 09:19 PM
So I upgraded to Traktor Pro then the sound kept dropping out a mate help sort that out Friday night, but the pub had booked a Karaoke disco so I did not get to run it before last nights 40th, all started good and as I was setting up the next track (8.55) the other stopped, don't know whether it was me trying to load the live deck or inadvertantly catching the mouse on the deck?.

It's possible to disable the ability to load a track onto a deck that is currently playing, this is the current setup I use, it inadvertently prevents crashing a track with another. You can turn this on in the settings menu if you want to know how I can describe in more detail if required.

Back on topic I currently use a Traktor Kontrol S2, great value for money and does have an internal sound card, so eliminates the issued mentioned of choppy sound, which is normally caused by soundcard compatibility. I would highly recommend it, it runs off usb or mains AC if you want all the lights 100%. On the rear it has 2x 1/4" outputs which I use with a 1/4" to xlr cable, and for £12.99 something like this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/3-channel-microphone-mixer-36158) allows you to use upto 3 mics with it.

You can also custom map it so you can really have full control over the ins and outs of the controller. However it will not work without your mac or as a standalone mixer but at £329 (last time I checked) it's an absolute steal.

If you want any info give me a shout and I can help as required.

DiscoMagic
17-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks Gazza,

I was sorely tempted by the S2 / S4 solutions, but really wanted to consolidate my setup into one 'box', and quite often someone will ask me if I can play off their Ipod / Iphone etc. I am equally nervous about putting all my eggs into one basket, in case the Mac crashes and I am left with the deadly silence zone and at least with the likes of the MC6000, I can hit a switch and play direct of my iphone, whilst the computer reboots...

Alternative solution is the S2 and to then buy an seperate line mixer like this (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/Studio__Live_Mixers/alesis/Multimix_4USB)...

Oh what to do :confused:

:bang:

Gazza75
17-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks Gazza,

I was sorely tempted by the S2 / S4 solutions, but really wanted to consolidate my setup into one 'box', and quite often someone will ask me if I can play off their Ipod / Iphone etc. I am equally nervous about putting all my eggs into one basket, in case the Mac crashes and I am left with the deadly silence zone and at least with the likes of the MC6000, I can hit a switch and play direct of my iphone, whilst the computer reboots...

Alternative solution is the S2 and to then buy an seperate line mixer like this (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/Studio__Live_Mixers/alesis/Multimix_4USB)...

Oh what to do :confused:

:bang:

I have a similar setup however if my mac were to crash, it takes 20sec to reboot from anything which helps. I'm not promoting one product over another here but I purchased a macbook pro with retina, with 512gb solid hard drive and 16gb of RAM i averages 10-15% cpu usage on a gig more than enough to keep the fan off and reduce the likelihood of a crash.

This is of course a very expensive route to go down, I do keep a mic plugged into a speaker as a direct input just incase.

My confidence comes from knowing the S2 and S4 are used in major clubs worldwide but again it's what people are used to and most comfortable with. It's difficult to say if one mixer is more reliable than the other, I do know that when it does work it allows me to work very quickly and creatively.

ianforest
17-09-2012, 09:45 PM
So what Denon mixer do you have? A X500 or X900 something like that? If so, grab a Denon HC4500...that will do the job just right. You won't have access to all of Traktor's bells and whistley features but if all you're doing is playing music with the occasional mixing and use of loops/hot cues then you really do not need anything else.

No sound card needed either as Traktor will quite happily use the HC4500.

I use Traktor currently with the Native Instruments Kontrol S4...and it's AMAZING...the best controller for Traktor hands down. The trade off however is that you need a proper external mixer if you want to use a microphone. I use the Allen & Heath Zed 10...but you can use that little Alesis thing no bother at all.

DiscoMagic
17-09-2012, 10:13 PM
So what Denon mixer do you have?

DNX500

The trade off however is that you need a proper external mixer if you want to use a microphone. I use the Allen & Heath Zed 10...but you can use that little Alesis thing no bother at all.

that IS interesting. Why do you say that, bearing in mind the S4 has in mic input? is the quality poor??? I did find this in my early days of using a Numark Idj2, and had to resort to an external mixer for this very reason :doh:

The denon is possbily looking more favourable at the moment? :confused::confused:

On a seperate note, is anyone using anything other than Denon or Native instruments? I heard other possiblities are Vestax and/or Numark FourTrak /ns7 any or all opinions would be great!!!

ianforest
19-09-2012, 12:46 PM
The mic input is poor to be honest...very low gain. You could use a gain attentuator I guess to increase it, but I like the benefits an external mixer gives me so that i can plug in extra mic's/other inputs if required.

I've tried the Stanton SCS.4DJ with Traktor...eurgh...forget it.

I've used the Numark Mixdeck Quad with Traktor...mmm...bleurgh, not brilliant.

I've used the Novation Twitch with Traktor...AMAZING

I've used the Vestax Spin with Traktor...a bit gimmicky...not nice.